SG 600-VI

What's Hot

Comments

• enteeentee Frets: 93
    my attempt at wiring - I went for Warman G-rails rather than SD P-rails in the end, so the wiring is all my own guesswork.  I still have hum though!!!

the blue switches are on-off for each pickup and the red ones are on-on-on, to split each pickup into single coil, humbucker and both, for each of the 3 pickups....  lots of wire in very small space.

and the wiring diagram...

if anyone has any advice for what I may have drawn/soldered wrongly, then PLEASE let me know  :)

Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @WezV - does this look 'right'?  Would you be able to assist at all?
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    entee said:
     the red ones are on-on-on, to split each pickup into single coil, humbucker and both
    this confused me at first.... untill I googled the G-rail

do you have a pic/link to the proper wiring diagram for that pickup?  i suspect its to do with the ground connection on one of the setting on the on/on/on
    I am at work at the moment, so can't upload anything but the wiring diagram for one pickup is at the bottom of this page.  All i did was do the same for each pickup and wire the output to a volume control (no tone control at all) and an on-off switch then going to the hot connection of the jack.   :)
    the wiring diagram you drew is fine then.

the pic of your wiring shows some uncovered joins between red and white wires - these need taping off.  same for any other exposed joins in your wiring - seems to be some on the yellow and blue wires??

can you get a pic of the underside of one of your on/on/on switches?  are both sides connected?

they are all temporarily taped off at present whilst I did the mock up.

the on-on-on, are connected straight across on the underside - I will upload a pic later.  nice to know the diagram is basically sound at present.  I'll have to hunt down the hums I have; probably a dodgy solder joint

here you go @WezV  

they are, as far as I can tell, like the Warman wiring diagram.  The green wire then goes to the outside lug of the volume control and the middle lug is connected to an on-off switch and then the hot output of the jack....
    they look to be okay, only improvement would be the amount of bare wire showing.  that blue wire will ground itself if it touches the casing.

how much is it buzzing, are you getting any signal through?   Have you wired the jack socket the correct way (common error number 1)?   does the buzzing go away when you touch other metal parts?

do you have a multimeter?  really need to test continuity at this point.   Also put some shielding in the cavity and mount all the parts.  the shielding will connect all the metal bodies of those switches
    the wires are all just soldered to prove it works at present, but each pick-up and selection works and I get good sound.  As you say, get some shielding in the cavity and connect up all the switch bodies, and it may well eliminate the buzz.  I am just happy I get sound out of all 3 pickups and all 3 settings for each of them  :)

I'll mount them all properly next and see what I get.

thanks for looking at this for me....
    The drill has been out!  I have gone for a volume control, an on-off switch and a pickup splitting on-on-on switch for each of the 3 pickups I am installing; Warman G-Rails.  Here's what the control area looks like after filling the spare pot hole and the original toggle switch location.  Drilling into a perfectly good guitar body was rather nerve wracking but it went reasonably well...

Here you can see the original tail piece and scratchplate holes filled in - don't seem to be able to remove the bridge posts at present

And here's a mock-up of what the switches will look like - thought it would be easier to solder up out of the cavity.  Note each pot with it's on-off and splitting switch - hopefully in the guitar they will look better spaced....

Final rub down is in progress then it's off to be primer/filled before colour application  :)

That's quite a fun layout. Tight, but I think it all looks quite logical

Good to see a nice long tenon too. Neck join is the weak point of this design but it looks like they have done all they can
    Today was a crash course in paintwork.  Took the SG to a mate who gave me instruction on what is needed now I've rubbed it down.  2 coats of spray filler to smooth out the bumps and imperfections that I had given the guitar in its strip down and this is how she looks now...

The black was a highlighting spray to show high/low points between coats.  She'll now rest for a few days to harden then it's out with the 600 and 1200 grade, before colour and lacquer are added in a few weeks time

I hope this all works after it's finished  :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Good progress @entee
    Spray filler and original finish has now been rubbed back....  first coats of colour should be going on next week.

Am enjoying the whole project so far - learnt loads about guitars  :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good man!

Also...

ZOOT!
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537

Looking good man!

Also...

ZOOT!

Zoot indeed  :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    You say wiring is not your strong point - you'll be a blimming expert by the end of this !

Looking good !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Thank you - I am certainly on a steep learning curve as to HOW guitars work - I may not be able to play that well but at least I now know what wire does what  lol
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looks a good base for your spray coats  :)

Taking the SG in to throw some topcoats at it this Friday - apparently I will be spraying it!!!  I thought mates in the profession would do it as a favour  lol.  Anyway, looking forward to having a go at the proper spraying now - always fancied it. 

Hopefully the next update will be with photos of the coloured axe, with only reassembly left to do  :)  Here's to hoping!