my ideas, no. 1

What's Hot
midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
I'm not aware of any such thing in existence but, like most of my ideas, this has probably been done before (do I subconsciously steal these things?)
Hopefully not, in which case hopefully someone on here with the skills to make it happen could pick it up and run with it.

The concept is a modular multi fx unit. I envisage a base unit which would hold 8fx blocks. Each 'block' is a normal pedal housed in a standardised enclosure about the size of a boss pedal. The blocks simply push into the base unit and a connector provides power and signal in/out.

In addition to being able to buy a number of standard blocks (pedals) you could also have any existing pedal rehoused into a block. Furthermore, pedal manufacturers would be encouraged to provide versions of their pedals in the standard block enclosure to drop right in with the system.

So far this is just a very convenient pedal board but here's the extra bit: the base unit also would have a row of say four switches plus patch up and down switches which could be used to store pre configured combinations of pedals as patches. No more tap dancing.

I know some will think this contrived but having tried multi fx I really struggle with sub menus-I like having access to all parameters on all pedals and I always keep coming back to pedals for this reason. This system is compact, easy to change around or reorder, no patch cables, no power supply issues and completely configurable.

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    edited August 2013
    I think it's a lovely idea, but getting manufacturers onboard would be essential before it would have mass-market appeal, and most would be reluctant to do that until it was already selling a good number of units. 

I have a feeling a similar thing was tried a couple of years ago but I cant' remember by whom.

Line6 tried it half-heartedly with their individual stompboxes a few years ago, but the fx were crap. I'm sure that would've led to a pedalboard system if they'd been more successful.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    edited August 2013 tFB Trader
    I think Devi Ever tried something similar with the console

You could also just use a loop switcher. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    AD/DA is so good these days that there really isn't much point in doing this in the analog realm - imho.

Get a good effects unit like the GT-100, HD500, M series, or one of the Digitech offerings.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    A very interesting idea. :)
    Not sure it would catch on though. :-S
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Point is not so much about doing it in the analog realm (although some will see that as an advantage), it's really about the tangibility of having all the effects there is front of you-no menus etc. 
    I owned an hd500 for a while and have tried other similar units, the point is that that is a way of working that I just don't connect with. That's my falling, not the units, but I know I'm not the only one (or the pedal board thread would be very uninteresting) and this is my answer. 

Will have to have a look at that devi ever site. Ultimately I'm not going anywhere with this idea but I would buy it if someone else did!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If all manufacturers did this then all the posts about which patch leads to buy would dissapear, what would we all talk about :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
    That Devi Ever thing is what I was (almost) remembering. 

TBH stuff like the Line 6 M9/M13 is closer to the final goal than any other solution IMO
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I may have missed the point of this but surely thats basically just a slightly less messy way of using something like a GigRig? You could do everything you want to do simply, the Generator power supply can be as tidy or as messy as you'd like and will power everything correctly and if you really wanted to, you could rehouse most pedals into an enclosure that suits your cosmetic needs.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    The idea seems solid and would be great to see you/someone try it out as a personal project but on the market I can't see it working? Kinda seems like solving a problem that doesn't really exist? Not hating tho coz the intention seems pretty cool
    How very rock and roll
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Korg did something similar back in the day ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    I don't think it's a case of solving a problem that doesn't exist... If i were to bring out a new overdrive/fuzz/delay pedal that would be solving a problem that doesn't exist, but some people would still hanker after it... It's just a different way of doing things. A one stop equivalent to the gig rig as pointed out above. The main difference would be that if you wanted to change out a pedal or swap the order you'd literally just pull it off the board -no need to unplug cables. It's not a big deal granted but I reckon some people would be attracted to the elegance of it. Anyway, I'm not going to defend because I have neither time nor inclination to Follow up the idea. If someone else picked it up and ran with it that would be cool in my world. Now next idea... Why don't amps come with wireless volume pedals which directly control the master volume? I don't use a volume pedal myself but wouldn't that be useful to some people?!?....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Vaguely related was my idea that got poo pooed back on MR years ago and then Digitech stole my concept (although didn't get it quite right ). Which is basically a blank multi fx. Something like a line 6 M9 but very simple. You then just download the effects you want rather than having to scroll through all the possible variants and sub menus. So your pedal would contain as many or as few effects as you want in the order you want. Unlike the iStomp you can use multiple effects and you wouldn't need an IOS device. Pointless for those who like to explore the possibilities of multi fx but great for those who just want one box that does it all but in this case 'the all' being exactly what you want. So, putting together your custom multi fx based on what you want in, not what you have to cut out. And when what you need changes just a couple of minutes back plugged in ( or beamed from a smart phone like the tc toneprints) and Bob's yer new multi fx.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.