bandmate mini rant

Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778
edited February 2015 in Live
I can't do this on FB as myself and band are all friends, so I'm just going blow off a little steam here :)

The leader of the band (songwriter/singer/guitarist) has booked a couple of feature sets at (reasonably) local venues, both of which record said sets. He wants to do this so that he has some recordings of our current bunch of songs without organising recording either at a rehearsal or in a studio.

Because we tend to play a selection of the songs regularly and the rest only when we need to pad out a longer slot, there are probably at least half of them that need some work to get them up to speed. There are four of us in the band - singer/guitarist, cajon, keyboards (who plays from crib sheets anyway) and myself on bass.

So I don't waste time practicing every song in the lead up to the first gig (Tuesday) I've asked for setlists for both gigs.

Because the band leader is a nice guy and doesn't want to make all the decisions himself he has offered up a setlist for discussion, which hasn't been replied to as no-one else is fussed either way.

This means that I could be spending my time with some focussed practice, but (as usual, this is by far the first time) I have the choice of either assuming that the suggested setlist will be the final one (by no means guaranteed), practicing all the songs so I'm ready for anything (annoying because I'll be the only one doing any prep. work) or doing nothing and sitting here in a huff.

The bit that annoys me the most is not practicing songs I don't need to, more that I've explained all of this more than once and yet it makes no difference. Occasionally I'm asked mid-set which song I'd rather play, despite my reply always being "I don't care, just decide". This is why I'm currently most likely to not bother doing any practice at all ;)
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Been there a few times in the past Paul  - annoying when you're in it to play and have fun without being the "leader" and organise everything.   Sometimes being too nice backfires and is more hassle - I'm thinking about band leader... if he just made a decision  -"This is the set, let me know asap if there is a good reason to change it"  everyone would go with it and be happy I suspect.

I try to force a decision on sets before everyone leaves the room if I have to learn someinth and think it'll drag on.

Just enjoy plaing through the songs at home and enjoy the gig and not let the fact you could have been doing the housework instead of practising out of your mind. :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778
    I've been gigging with him on and off for the last 11 years, so I know full well what to expect, it just gets on my nerves once in a while because when comes to things like this I'm the only one who asks for anything but because he's desperate to please everyone I get no help at all ;)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Why not reply to all saying great setlist and you'll make sure you're up to speed for next week .. sounds like they are typical nice musos. Great musicians but indecisive. Take the iniative.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I have made further enquiries (no reply as yet), but as the first list mentioned contains mostly well-played tunes I shall run through them and sort the rest out for the next gig (a week on Wednesday) and leave it at that.

I've just realised there's a song on the possible second list that I have played with the band, but not on bass (I've drummed for them a few times as well as played "lead" guitar (as best as I could ;) )) so that's going to need a part creating if we're going to play it.

As we're doing these gigs for the benefit of the singer/songwriter (I'm not bothered whether we have recordings or not, I'm just happy to turn up and play) I'd rather he made the effort to sort things out if he wants them to be any good. I don't mind putting in the work to be as prepared as I can be, but I resent doing extra work if I can avoid it ;)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    You could have run through half a dozen songs to refresh yourself in the time you've spent on here today.
    :)

I say there's no harm in learning them all. I've stopped sending out setlists to my band on our Facebook messages page in advance because it just leads to a big debate. If it was a debate about song choice based on suitability for the venue I wouldn't mind, but it's usually just band members picking the ones they like or know best, regardless of merit.

Since I've started printing out five copies and bringing them to the gig all of a sudden everyone is prepared for any eventuality.

Get on with it! ;)
    . . . all sorted now, though the clock is now ticking until the next time we go through the whole rigmarole again :)
  • communication is key.
    That applies to you communicating with the band and the other members communicating back
    Sitting in the corner mumbling like mutley doesn't do anyone any favours. The same can be said about being indifferent about picking which song to play next etc.

*my opinion as a supreme overlord band leader

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I too would be pissed.  I absolutely hate that stagnant indecision and lack of input you get with some in bands.  As far as I'm concerned if you don't input then you can't moan about decisions made.

I think it should be between you and the singer/guitarist anyhow.  One guy's playing from sheets and the others just banging on a box. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    communication is key.
    That applies to you communicating with the band and the other members communicating back
    Sitting in the corner mumbling like mutley doesn't do anyone any favours. The same can be said about being indifferent about picking which song to play next etc.

*my opinion as a supreme overlord band leader

Of course - I do communicate, clearly and concisely, and it makes no difference ;) 

Judging by the response I get it always sounds like my explanation has got through, but nevertheless it will happen again, despite my careful and deliberate efforts.  I don't ask for much, just fair warning of what I'm going to be asked to play on any given night, so I can prepare for it. :)

Even on a good day I used to regularly get (for example, for an 8 song set) a list of 12 songs, the last five being possible swaps for one or more of the first 7 songs listed.

These days it takes the form of either the above or more recently, a set list ordered by the ring binder full of songs for the keyboard player to work from. This is arranged at the beginning of the evening and then regularly abandoned as the set goes on, the singer often flicking through it to find the song he's suddenly decided to do, sometimes based on the reaction of the audience to the previous song, sometimes on a whim, sometimes after asking me which song I'd rather play (followed by me saying "I don't care" accompanied with a rolling of the eyes).

If it didn't happen so often I would have no complaint, but nothing I can do changes anything, it's like Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill :)
    We're still friends though :)
  • I feel your pain @Paul_C. I have a similar issue with my lot. I'm trying to work it out how to deal with it too :( Much easier if one was to go solo 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/