Ibanez S420....any opinions?

ParkerParker Frets: 960

Tempted by the Sabre series as less pointy than RG. Do they have the fast wizard necks? As a stock-guitar are they good? Pickups ok? Anything to look out for?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Prestige ones have Wizard, the 420 has a wizard II I think.  

They're alright, but I'm not convinced by the vibrato.  They work okay, but they feel a bit cheap compared to a 'proper' floyd.  

Occasionally, 420's (particularly those with chips in) come up incredibly cheap used - less than £200 easily.  They're decent guitars for the money, though, and well worth swapping the pickups out for getting crazy good tones on a budget.  
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited October 2013
    The bodies are very thin, noticeably thinner than an RG.  I'd recommend trying one on a strap before buying, I don't like the feel of them personally.

They're decent guitars for cheap money used.  They're a bit crunchier sounding than an RG.  They are less pointy than an RG but I still think they're obviously pointy metal guitars from the look, for example headstock is the same and the shape is still obviously super strat.

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited October 2013

I had a S540 Sabre in natural oil finish which I paid around £850 for in 1994. It always felt too light and flimsy, but did sound really good. I tolerated it for around two months before taking a £400 loss when I sold it for £450.  The natural oil finish showed every ding, knock and dirty mark where handled.   My friend also had a S540 but it was finished in colour and always seemed more substantial ?

Mine was the same as this guys in the picture

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

That's giving me a guitar boner
    :-* :)>-

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229

Have an S470

Nice guitar to play

Agree about changing the pups.

Trem can be troublesome but works ok when the wind blows from the SW!!