Peavey spares now?

HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 121
As bad luck would have it, our Peavey XR1212 powered mixer half packed up last night. With the demise of Peavey in the UK (who were brilliant last time I used them), I'd welcome any ideas on how to obtain a replacement power output module.

Further testing in the calmer mood this afternoon revealed that all the channels, FX, monitor outputs and line level outputs are fine which means the low voltage DC power is fine, it's just the digital power amp section that has failed.

If I can't easily obtain the part(s), I'll have to think about buying a new lightweight power amp to use in conjunction with a now overweight mixer.

And By the way, why is always one guy (me!) that ends up being the bands go to guy for repairs and spares. 

All the best,
Pete
They don't want your name, they just want your number.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I spent about five minutes in PMT yesterday and they had some Valvekings at bargain prices. I did wonder how stuffed you might be if something went wrong with one though. However, on rereading the news about the Peavey closure apparently the warranty cover and commercial audio arms remain so there might still be someone who can advise you in the right direction.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Cheers for that.

I'll give the Corby number a ring tomorrow and report back in case anyone else is caught high and dry. I've also mailed Peavey in the us to see what they say.

Still think it is a crying shame, the elderly Peavey powered mixer we used to get us through the gig is still soldiering on after many years.
  • I saw an announcement that Barmes And Mullins have been appointed the new distributors. Probably early days but they might be able to help. Failing that, by rights, Peavey US should sort it.
  • It's not looking good for Peavey. I think they have now seen the last of my money.

Response from Corby / Northampton phone number is just a recorded message to email customer service at Peavey.com. Response from Peavey in the US was simply to mail me a list of European Authorised dealers some as far as Malaga in Spain and to completely ignore my request to purchase direct despite shipping costs.

No disrespect intended but many fine authorised dealers have nothing like the expertise to undertake repairs nor even to understand what I'm asking for or even have spares stock holding. 

I'm trying to contact a likely looking German place at the moment but not holding out too much hope.

It's not my intention to start and anti-Peavey crusade here but just to highlight how things are in case anyone was thinking of going down this road. Six months ago, I'd have hold anyone who would listen that Peavey is a safe bet, any spares or manuals easily obtained etc.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72315
    HippoPete said:
    It's not looking good for Peavey. I think they have now seen the last of my money.

Response from Corby / Northampton phone number is just a recorded message to email customer service at Peavey.com. Response from Peavey in the US was simply to mail me a list of European Authorised dealers some as far as Malaga in Spain and to completely ignore my request to purchase direct despite shipping costs.

No disrespect intended but many fine authorised dealers have nothing like the expertise to undertake repairs nor even to understand what I'm asking for or even have spares stock holding. 

I'm trying to contact a likely looking German place at the moment but not holding out too much hope.

It's not my intention to start and anti-Peavey crusade here but just to highlight how things are in case anyone was thinking of going down this road. Six months ago, I'd have hold anyone who would listen that Peavey is a safe bet, any spares or manuals easily obtained etc.
    I feel the same. It's very unfortunate that this has happened. Up until now I would have been happy to recommend any Peavey product to anyone.

Now, I'm not at all sure - and in particular I would not recommend anyone buys a recent Peavey-made Trace Elliot amp at all, since the couple of those I've seen with dead output sections have needed a complete new power module from Peavey UK - it's a Class D unit which is not designed with maintenance in mind and extremely difficult to work on. Peavey UK were very helpful with them in the past.

I'm not anti-Peavey - in fact I own more Peavey products than any other single brand except Boss pedals. But this is a very poor decision in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

If you can't get a replacement amp you can fit yourself then it would still be worth someone looking at it as you might be lucky, might only want an hours labour and some caps ............ worth an estimate

Have you had it apart ? in a lot of mixers like this the power supply and power amp are kinda integrated to a certain degree and I wouldn't trust it as a passive mixer until I'd sussed out why the power amp section  isn't working. 

Apologies if you know all that already 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Thanks for your kind suggestions Danny,

You are right, there has to be some suspicion hanging over using the unit as a passive mixer but I have done fairly thorough testing of all the passive functions. Whether the low voltage DC rails are about to go is a definitely a risk. 

However, we do have a tank like XR600 PA as our standby.

My biggest problem now is that the band aren't likely to spring for what I think of as truly repairable quality kit with good backup. I think that Peavey were very much an exception here.

I can repair most things (trained as an Electronic Technician) but I've been a desk jockey for too long now and I'm not sure that Class D kit is that easy to fix.

And another thing, how is it that the main consumer of PA facilities (vocalist), has a total investment in hardware of precisely one SM58 and a twenty quid mic stand. We'd already bought the PA before she joined. Grrrrr!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    HippoPete said:
    Thanks for your kind suggestions Danny,

You are right, there has to be some suspicion hanging over using the unit as a passive mixer but I have done fairly thorough testing of all the passive functions. Whether the low voltage DC rails are about to go is a definitely a risk. 

However, we do have a tank like XR600 PA as our standby.

My biggest problem now is that the band aren't likely to spring for what I think of as truly repairable quality kit with good backup. I think that Peavey were very much an exception here.

I can repair most things (trained as an Electronic Technician) but I've been a desk jockey for too long now and I'm not sure that Class D kit is that easy to fix.

And another thing, how is it that the main consumer of PA facilities (vocalist), has a total investment in hardware of precisely one SM58 and a twenty quid mic stand. We'd already bought the PA before she joined. Grrrrr!
    It's very unlikely that there will be any problem with the mixing side of the unit; the power supply for this is separate from the power unit.

You may have to order a new unit through an authorized dealer (I now have to get Laney spares like this), so I would try this route before you give up.

You are correct to assume class D is not straight forward to fix.

Sadly this seems to be a common problem across the industry as the internet has eroded margins so much and manufacturers are trying to reduce costs.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

Not much to offer the OP I'm afraid but I'm equally saddened by Peavey's UK closure. I've always found their PA kit to be very roadworthy and have a couple of antique items that still deliver the goods. On the few occasions I've needed to get hold of bits and pieces, Peavey UK were always really helpful.

Having said that, a couple of the XLR inputs on an old XRD680 Plus have been pulled out of their sockets by a ham-fisted band mate so we'll see how my local tech gets on in trying to get replacements......