HB modding challenge TE-30 Tele.

What's Hot
I was gonna go for the 3 pickup sg and then decided it probably wouldn't need much improvement as I've read amazing things about it and comes with Wilkinson hardware throughout. I decided instead to opt for something cheaper that would require definite upgrades to make it a decent guitar.
It arrived yesterday and so far I've just unboxed and played it for about 20 mins. I was half expecting to have to send it back, as from reviews I read the HB's come either near perfect or completely unplayable. I didn't get my hopes up.
Luckily enough mine is near perfect. Even 4 of the strings were perfectly in tune when i opened it! I can find just one bad little pinhead mark on the finish that's been missed, but it's getting recovered anyways so that doesn't matter. The ashtray bridge is cheap as anything. Knobs are fine. Neck is fine, action is a bit high, but I can reset that as it's getting totally taken apart.
So far the only thing I have set in stone is that I'm gonna strip it apart and cover the body with carbon auto vinyl. My brother-in-law does this for a living so he's gonna do it for me. Hope that isn't cheating! Maybe he'll just assist!

Here's some pics. Nothing exciting just yet. Just unboxing pics really.

Gonna strip it tomorrow after I check the electrics which are being replaced. Can anyone recommend a good set of tele pickups that don't cost a small fortune? I thinking Entwistle, Wilkinson etc I looking super twangy and super trebly. (almost harsh) I'll probably opt for a axetec wiring kit which I used on my Encore Vintage Strat and gave it a complete new lease of life. I was also pleaantly surprised by the Entwistle pickups I put in that guitar. 

For now here's some pics: 

Thanks for stopping by. 

DSC_0019 DSC_0020 DSC_0022 DSC_0023 DSC_0024
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JudasVigilanteJudasVigilante Frets: 74
    edited February 2015
    I initially thought about going for one of the Wilkinson equipped Tele's, but glad now I didn't as it probably would have been quite a decent guitar out of the box, minus a good setup. There would have been no fun in that. This baby actually plays better than a £400 ESP I bought around 5 yrs ago from DV247. I actually thought they had sent it to me as some kind of bad joke it was so bad. None existant Quality control on that baby. I haven't amped up yet with this, but i'd say the pickups are pure crap. But as a basis for a backup or learners guitar, there's a real solid foundation here and at £66.60 who in their right mind would complain! Should have it vinyl wrapped by next week. Will also sand the neck which is actually quite smooth and fast as is. Will also take the HB logo off the headstock and consider coming up with something custom. I'll wait to hear from you good peeps as with regards to Tele pickup reccomendations.

Cheers once again. Sorry there's not much happening yet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Try Mojo Pickups - http://www.mojopickups.co.uk/
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Moss, will do. I know Jooky thinks highly of them.

Just amped up the te-30 and all electrics work 100%. Pickups are crap unless you crank the gain up to 11!
    Not as twangy as i'd like, but hey these are getting ripped out anyways. Also for the record, I weighed my new baby and the scales say 4.6 KG. In lbs that's 10.15ilbs. By my calculations that's heavy, sure feels heavier than most if not all of my other guitars. The listing on Thomann said ash body, is ash a heavy wood? Maybe some of you guys on here could help with that.

That's it for now. Off to Ju Jitsu with kids and then maybe start stripping tonight. Not me, the guitar!!!
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited February 2015
    That looks GOOD! I'll be watching with interest, I'm going for this (or the TE52 for mine), I was thinking of binning the neck pickup & spending a bit extra on an Oil City bridge pup and making an Esquire.

Are you getting to roll? or is it just the kids? (My 3year old came to see me at a BJJ sparring session last weekend- she wants to start!)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Ash varies from very heavy to very light.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    I'll wait to hear from you good peeps as with regards to Tele pickup reccomendations.

What sort of sound do you want from it?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    ^ this.

Lovely looking guitar though!
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Good to see another challenge taker on here - will be watching this with interest...
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • That looks GOOD! I'll be watching with interest, I'm going for this (or the TE52 for mine), I was thinking of binning the neck pickup & spending a bit extra on an Oil City bridge pup and making an Esquire.

Are you getting to roll? or is it just the kids? (My 3year old came to see me at a BJJ sparring session last weekend- she wants to start!)
    Only the kids do Ju Jitsu. Mu eldest (daughter) is black belt and going for gold tabs, she's also jnr assistant leader.
    Eldest son is purple and youngest is going for jnr green next week.

I'd love to do it, but alas I ain't fit enough and haven't the time. We've went twice a week for the last 7 yrs.
    Thanks for the interest.
  • TTony said:
    I'll wait to hear from you good peeps as with regards to Tele pickup reccomendations.

What sort of sound do you want from it?

Really twangy/trebly. I'm hoping it's gonna be my 'punk rock gtr' so I'm kinda looking for typical tele but a bit more exaggerated. Maybe that costs a lot?

• Well, I had a spare hour this morning and decided to get started...

DSC_0029 DSC_0031 Ready to get vinyl tomorrow and take to my brother-in-laws. Still waiting for some advice on really twangy pickups that don't cost the earth. Thanks for looking as usual.
  • JudasVigilanteJudasVigilante Frets: 74
    edited February 2015

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    cryptic!
    Or is it like on facebook when people try to use the search bar but accidentally post it as their status? (someone on hear recounted the story of their friend who got home drunk and tried to look up their ex girlfriends on facebook but then got dumped by their current girlfriend as they'd put the names in the wrong box!)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I was trying to work out how to put users names in when referring to them. with the @ symbol highlighted in blue. Can't figure it out.
    @JudasVigilante you just type @username and let the forum software do it for you (took me a while to work out too)  :)
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I look forward very much to seeing the carbon vinyl on it, @JudasVigilante! ;

If it's the woven matting stuff (which looks great!) make sure all the cutting and trimming is done before the electrics get anywhere near it...the cut carbon fibres go everywhere, are tiny and are highly conductive! 
    ;)
  • @BigMonka Thanks so much for this. Been wrecking my brain since I joined end of last year. Much appreciated.

@Andyjr1515 Yeah I'll try and be careful. You can get auto vinyl for around £15 per m but as it needs to go around lots of curves easily/well, I have to purchase the expensive stuff at £32 per m. Hopefully 1m will do, it's 1.5m wide. Should be plenty.
    Hope you're good. See what you've started! This is addictive! Much to the Mrs' dismay!
    I'm really excited to see how it's going to look with the carbon wrap, it's a great idea! Don't forget to take some pictures during the process for us forumites!
  • Gonna be a cracker this, great price for a base to build on, really looking forward to all the tele mod threads coming up!
  • Just got my pups ordered: Wilkinson 60's Vintage Voice (in gold) Bling!
    Think now that I've went for black carbon fibre wrap on the body, I may go all out for a black and gold theme. Black (short) tele bridge, gold and black pickups, gold knob plate, black or gold controls and black machine heads. Most of this will be by wilksonson and prob and wiring kit from Axetec. I've read nothing but good reviews of Wilkinson and Vanson Guitar stuff and it sits well affordability wise. I don't want to spend a fortune on a guitar that cost 66 quid. Should offer a nice point between crap and rockin'. Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks as always.