HB modding challenge TE-30 Tele.

What's Hot

Comments

• That 'wrap' stuff looks great but there's one thing I can't get my head around - where's the join? I can't see a seam around the edge. (And they put this stuff on cars? That's a new one on me.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @steamabacus It's not any easier to see the join in life either! It's on the back and follows the body contour about 1cm from the back edge. It is however almost impossible to see. I'll do a closeup, But I doubt it'll show up.

In fact I know it won't.! Thanks for your question. Good point well made. In real life it looks like a carbon fibre body, until you lift it and it weighs then a tonne. !!!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    This wrap has got me wondering about doing something to an explorer :D
  • Funny you say that, my next guitar to wrap is gonna be a Mockingbird I just bought on Ebay.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    Cor Blimey. That looks amazing.
    I've messaged a couple of local firms to see if they are open to the idea of doing a guitar.
  • @Deadman Thank you very much. Glad you like. Much appreciated.
    @underdog Good. If it costs any more than about £50-60 then they're ripping you off. All the best.

Thanks for your comments and stopping by.
  • Well, I got some more done tonight. I had ordered some self adhesive clear gloss label paper for the decals.
    I also put a serial no. on the back.
    I got the scratchplate screwed into place as I have the 2 neck pickup wires fed through to the control plate cavity.
    The bridge is screwed down loosely as I need a bit of movement to get the ground wire in place at the end.
    I've also tried the black nickel recessed jack plate in place and fits perfectly.
    I also have the gold knobs on in place but will probably remove these before I do any soldering.
    The wood of this guitar is hard as hell. I had to drill about 20 holes tonight for various bits of hardware. The vinyl also makes using original holes hard as it's so tight and hard itself. I think it'll last a long time longevity wise.
    The only things that remain then are the pots/pickups wiring, jack plug into place and string it, set it up/intonation etc and play the damn thing!!!LOL

Oh yeah, and I fitted the neck with a black neck plate to match the theme etc.

Rock hard! Rock heavy! Rock animal! 

Thanks for any comments you feel like leaving, they're all much appreciated as there's a wealth of talent on here that I don't pretend to be a fraction as good as at this. Just having fun. To the best of my ability.

All the best everyone.

Some pics below: taken in very poor f*ucking energy saver lit room!
    DSC_0060 DSC_0061 DSC_0062 DSC_0063 DSC_0064 DSC_0065 DSC_0066
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Superb. 'nuf said, really...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks very much Andy. I learnt from the best (you)!!!
    The black and gold look really good, and I normally hate gold hardware. I can't love the pickguard though, something a bit less busy would I've been my choice (plain silver or checker plate maybe) but it's looking amazing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @underdog Thanks for your input. Glad you like some of it. I normally hate gold hardware myself and am not a blingy type person at all. It just seemed to come to mind. It is hard to please everyone about everything, though you like most of it, so I'm pretty happy with that.
    JudasVigilante;532625" said:
    @underdog Thanks for your input. Glad you like some of it. I normally hate gold hardware myself and am not a blingy type person at all. It just seemed to come to mind. It is hard to please everyone about everything, though you like most of it, so I'm pretty happy with that.
    Agree entirely, it looks awesome and its a very personal guitar, what's not to love. And you've introduced me to a whole new world with that wrap.

If we're picking a winner, I think you've taken an early lead.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @underdog Glad I opened your eyes to something new (ie the vinyl wrap) and secondly, as for winning, I'm a very modest and humble guy, so I don't know about winning. There is a wealth of talented people on here with skills and knowledge far beyond what I ever hope to achieve. I simply had thought of buying an HB to try a few weeks before the challenge was announced. But thought they'd be utter crap. Turns out for 66 squid you get a decent guitar if you spend some time and money on it and now how to set action, intonation etc. Skills I've just learnt this past 3 or 4 months because I did my first build in January. So I had to learn them. Once again, I referred to posts here and vids on Youtube. I've been playing 23 years but until January never soldered anything and always got a guitar tech to set my guitars up at a fairly steep cost times 20 guitars! Now I'll save a fortune! LOL. Thank you for your interest. Really really appreciated. 
  • JudasVigilanteJudasVigilante Frets: 74
    edited February 2015
    Well, I got the guitar finished. Yesterday I did the electrics and setup. Plays beautifully. Action is medium or a little bit lower. I'm not that technical, I just go by feel rather than measurements for now.Bridge pickup is really biting and snarly. Typical tele and just how I hoped for. Neck is a little bit lower volume, and it's set quite high, but expected that from tele pickups. So I've read on the interwebs.
    Only thing that remains is probably to record some soundclips and upload to my soundcloud page then post links. I'll do this over the next few days.
    But for now, here are some photos of the finished article.

DSC_0067 DSC_0070 DSC_0072
    Costing for the build:
    All prices include P+P to N.Ireland from Germany and UK mainland.

Harley Benton TE-30 £72.00
    Carbon Fibre wrap £50.00
    Wilkinson EZ lock machineheads/tuners in black/ 20 black scratchplate screws/ 2 Vanson strap locks in gold/ All from Vanson on Ebay: £32.00
    Wilkinson 60's Vintage Voice tele Pickups £29.00
    Clear adhesive decal paper £7.00
    Imitation Abalone scratchplate £12.00
    Wilkinson Black/brass ashtray bridge £20.00
    Black recessed jack plate from Axetec £9.00
    2x gold domed control knobs £8.00
    Tele wiring kit from Axetec also: £15.50
    Jim Dunlop Super Slinky 9's £6.00
    Black roller string treesx2 £6.00
    Black control plate from Axetec £8.00
    Black Neck plate from Axetec £6.50

Total cost of the build £281.00 Edit (had to recalculate)
    Feel free to comment. Any suggestions, advice etc would be greatly appreciated for other future builds.

Good luck to everyone in the modd challenge and thankyou for the Fretboard team for running such a great site. Cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh and thanks to all of the Fretboard forum members , some of which I've got to know a little who advised and helped me out along the way. Much, much appreciated. You're a wonderful bunch. This is starting to sound like an Oscar acceptance speech, so I'm off for a coffee and cigarette now.!!!LOL
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    @JudasVigilante I've got to say that it looks fantastic, the work you've put in has really paid off - it's pretty much a different guitar to the one you bought!
    Just make sure you don't play it in any hot pubs if the wrap comes off with the heat from a hairdryer 
    ;)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Congrats Paul, that looks great. Certainly worth what you invested into it.
  • Stunning Paul, well done.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Love it!! 
    Must be a great feeling to have created a one of a kind instrument like this... well done.