Rickenbacker owners: Rick-o-sound into 2 amps help needed...

scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
Just tried out my 360 into 2 amps with 2 leads, one from each jack. It worked nicely but only when I half removed the lead from the Rick-o-sound jack so that it was solidly but not fully in. Clearly this can't be recommended method. Are you supposed to buy a Y adaptor taking both leads? Any help appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    The Ric-o-sound socket is actually a "stereo" jack I believe so yes, you need either a 'Y' lead or a stereo lead running to a splitter box (which I think would be my preference).
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Sounds slightly expensive? I'll get on eBay to check. Can't see me using 2 amps often due to space but it's fascinating sound with fx grown in...
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Yes, you do need a proper splitter - if you use two cables, even with one pulled halfway out, you actually get the combined signal of both pickups through both amps... so you aren't getting the full picture of what it sounds like.

If you hear it properly, the effect is really amazing and opens up a lot more options, particularly putting different effects on each pickup.

You could build a splitter box for about £10 if you do the work yourself. The box is better than a Y-cable because it's much easier to fix any ground loop issues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited October 2013
    yeah, go for a splitter box.  You need:

1x stereo lead.  
    2x normal leads.
    1x stereo jack socket
    2x normal jack sockets
    1x box

you would then also have the option of adding an on/off switch for each pickup, but that would need more parts
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    WezV said:

you would then also have the option of adding an on/off switch for each pickup, but that would need more parts
    You don't need that because there's one on the guitar :).

But a ground lift switch for one of the outputs might be a good idea, since you can get a ground loop between the two amps otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Wish my Dad had taught me soldering and DIY...