Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People you've seen live that were either better than expected or were a bit of a disappointment

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
edited October 2013 in Music
Peter Green - absolutely magic - especially the pitch perfect bends on an acoustic version of Albatross. You could have heard a pin drop.

Clapton earlier this year at Manchester Arena - jaw-droppingly good - I'd seen him twice before and he was ok but the Manchester gig was something very special.

Roger Waters The Wall at the O2 a year or so back - technically brilliant - could have been good but was curiously uninvolving.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10643
    Last time I saw Gary Moore it was unbelievably boring :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Soundgarden at the O2 in Brixton a couple of weeks back. Sound guy must've had cloth ears - there was nothing but a booming kick drum and a buzzing which was either the vocals or the guitar (couldn't quite tell which). Bass was totally absent.

I even tried standing next to the desk, leaning over so I could hear what the sound guy was hearing...it was at this point that I realised he was wearing in-ear monitors (I initially thought they were ear plugs, but they had a wire going to a radio pack on his belt). What a stupid fucking idea...he's mixing the band without any kind of idea of what they actually sound like.

On a positive note...Cast at V96 (yes, that long ago). Absolutely blew everybody else away, including both the headliners (Pulp and Supergrass). Not even my kind of music, but they opened with History which immediately got my attention.
    <space for hire>
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited October 2013
    Not sure if this counts but the bands that have blown me away the most are ones I'd never heard of before and caught me by surprise. Namely 'White Zombie' 'Skunk Anansie' but the one that really sticks out was 'Incubus' this was when he still had dreads and around the 'enjoy' ep time, fckn amazing. Whitesnake were disappointing and rather boring. Also I'll add that despite my high expectations every time I see 'Tool' they're better than I remember. Went to see 'The who' at Albert hall just to tick the box and they were much better than I expected, still really full of energy.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited October 2013
    viz;49096" said:
    Last time I saw Gary Moore it was unbelievably boring :(
    This. He also had a face like a smacked arse through most of the set when I saw him.

Last time I saw Paul Rodgers he did a 40 minute set then walked off. :x
  • Keith Harris and Orville kicked ass!

Back to the subject though.

I've never been disappointed by an established act to a significant extent.

I guess my only "disappointment" was when I went to see Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley in Circa 1998 at Sheffield City Hall. It probably wasn't that bad but it just didn't feel the same as the times before that I saw them with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith.

It was like I made myself go and see them when I was telling myself "It's not the same anymore"

:-S
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    Placebo. Wasn't that keen anyway but all my mates were going. Utter shite. I could've seen the Darkness the same night about a month before they went massive. I definitely picked the wrong gig.

Oasis, Glastonbury 2004. I'd been looking forward to seeing them for years and it was a notoriously shit gig. First time out with Zakk Starkey and he started most of the early stuff too slow. Thankfully I caught them on a good night in Milton Keynes the next summer and they were blinding.

On the good side...

Chris Cornell. Playing in the rain in Hyde Park while we all waited for Aerosmith. Absolutely unquestionably the best singer I've heard live. He was the only time I've had my expectation of "yeah, ok, not bad" turned into "Holy shitballs when can I see them again?". 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I guess my only "disappointment" was when I went to see Iron Maiden with Blaze Bayley in Circa 1998 at Sheffield City Hall. It probably wasn't that bad but it just didn't feel the same as the times before that I saw them with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith.

It was like I made myself go and see them when I was telling myself "It's not the same anymore"

Go see them now, with Adrian and Bruce back in the fold, excellent.

Also, The Almighty, I saw them at Donington 1992, and prior to seeing them thought they were a bit shit, seeing them changed my mind.

Most disappointing was probably Therapy at the Junction in Cambridge, not bad, but too many guitar changes for the first 7 or 8 songs (Ie every song).

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Better than expected:  The Who(1980's, first tour without Moonie), ZZ Top, Queen(1980's, Freddie in his prime), Rush, every time I've seen them

Disappointed:  The Cars(1980's, keyboard player couldn't get it together) and 5440 in the 90's, they played and sang competently and actually put on a good show but the sound was lousy.  All we could could hear was bass and drums pounding thoughout.  The highlight of the show was during the opening act "Grapes of Wrath"  when a fuse blew and the frontman and bassist grabbed a couple of acoustic guitars and did a couple of songs with no amplification.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Radiohead last year for my 30th in Manchester.  I was gutted.  Never going to an arena gig ever again. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3851
    Better than expected: Gogol Bordello, Terrorvision, Foo fighters (really), Hives, Ben Harper, Pearl Jam.

Worse than expected: RHCP, but only on the second occasion. First time they were amazing. Paul Weller but again, only on the second occasion. First time he was amazing.

The Damned, the last time I saw them (Dec 12). Having seen them 20 or so times since I was a teenager and enjoyed every gig, the last time they were shit. I was bitterly disappointed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227
    Kinda with you there regarding arena gigs.Saw Oasis at Sheffield Arena in 97 I think it was.Didn't enjoy it as I felt to detached.(sat right near the back).Saw Lamb of God and Children of Bodom at Manchester arena stood right near the front and it was epic.Saw Bowling for Soup at Download in 2007,thought I would hate them but they were brilliant.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 317
    Gary Moore. - Both - Playing the blues on a Strat - Brilliant. Soon as he switched to a Les Paul - Leaden boring, Yawn etc.

David Bowie, got given a ticket last minute, wasn't a fan before I went in, but after the gig I was. He had the whole arena in the palm of the hand for 2 hrs
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• WYNIR0 said:

David Bowie, got given a ticket last minute, wasn't a fan before I went in, but after the gig I was. He had the whole arena in the palm of the hand for 2 hrs
    I was a fan going in and it was better than expected.  Another one I just remembered was Los Lobos, I saw them twice in smaller venues early in their career, it was amazing!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• mike_l said:

Go see them now, with Adrian and Bruce back in the fold, excellent.

Also, The Almighty, I saw them at Donington 1992, and prior to seeing them thought they were a bit shit, seeing them changed my mind.

Most disappointing was probably Therapy at the Junction in Cambridge, not bad, but too many guitar changes for the first 7 or 8 songs (Ie every song).

I would certainly go and see Maiden again, Mike. I think their current tour just ended, but I think they might have 1 more Album/Tour in them. ;-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Echo and the Bunnymen - on the back of comeback album Evergreen, which I loved at the time. McCulloch couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

+1 to Placebo too. Dragged along by a mate despite my protestations that I'd seen them before and they were rubbish.....and yes, they were still rubbish.

On the other hand The Roots were an absolute revelation live, very impressed.

Motorhead, seen 'em twice, just too loud to hear any playing nuances. Same with In Flames.

Girlschool, saw 'em supporting Motorhead a few years ago, I was most impressed with their playing skills, stage prescence and songs. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• +1 on Motorhead. Seen them a few times and enjoyed it for the most part but it's hit and miss as to whether you get a night/venue where you can actually hear Phil Campbell on guitar

• Oh just thought of another:

Andy Cairns of Therapy?, solo acoustic show.
    He's not the world's most accomplished guitarist nor is he the most consistent of singers so I thought the stripped back approach would leave him woefully exposed. But....it was great, he was in fine voice and chatted lots between songs - he's a very witty chap, great raconteur.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Dissapointing: Jack Bruce. Was expecting a bass god, but the bass playing came across as meh. It was a pretty good gig otherwise though, with Ginger Baker and Gary Moore.

Surprisingly good - Cliff Richard doing all his number 1's about 20 years ago. The wife dragged me along - honest!
    +1 on Motorhead. Seen them a few times and enjoyed it for the most part but it's hit and miss as to whether you get a night/venue where you can actually hear Phil Campbell on guitar

Both Cambridge and Birmingham, they were too loud.

Cambridge, I was right at the back and it was booming, much louder than the jets over the road from work. Same as Birmingham, where they were supporting Alice Cooper, again, I was quite far back, and they were deafeningly loud.