Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

10's on an acoustic

What's Hot
How will this adversely affect tone!

The new crafter sounds nice but after last nights rehearsals my fingers are shreaded

Not sure I can manage a gig tomorrow at this stage

Can I put 10's on without killing the tone stone dead

Posts telling me to man up will be reported as cyber bullying
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    edited February 2015
    Depends on the guitar.

Dreadnoughts and Jumbos generally sound a bit thin with them, smaller-bodied guitars often don't.

You could try 11s - unless that's what you're already using! - even though the low strings are often the same gauges as 12s (or at least very close) the lighter plain strings really make quite a big difference without killing the tone as much. Watch out though, because many sets of 11s have a ridiculously light G - even lighter than the one in a set of 10s - which *does* sound thin.

It could also be a set-up issue, especially nut height and to some extent relief - it makes a huge difference to the pressure on your fingertips when playing chords in the lower positions, more than the bridge height does. Fret each string at the third fret and look at the gap between the string and the first fret - if it's any more than a quarter of the string diameter, and preferably less than that, it's too high. Then with the guitar in the playing position, fret the G string at the first fret and the first which is over the body (usually 15) and look at the gap between the string and the 7th fret - it should be less than the string diameter, preferably less than half it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've got 10's on my Tanglewood TSF5-X, but that's a smaller body and the largest gauge they recommend in the manual is 12's. 10's don't adversely affect the tone, but next time I restring I'm going back up to 12's purely because the 10's feel a bit flappy for strumming.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sound 11's may be a good compromise !!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7745
    I use 10s on my APX700 - it sounds thin unplugged but generally ok through a P.A.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I couldn't hack that myself. Always use 12s on my acoustics as anything else sounds too thin and I snap them!
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    edited February 2015
    11's for me on acoustic 10's on electric :)
  • I used to use 10's on my Takamine electro acoustic cutaway. If it gets you through the gig does the tone really matter so much? You could always use a bit more EQ to try and beef things up a bit.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    Some guitars definitely aren't constructed in a way where they would sound good with 10's.

Something like this (below), should work fine though:

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    tone1 said:
    11's for me on acoustic 10's on electric :)
    So 10.5's on an electro-acoustic?

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Travisthedog;33793" said:
    Posts telling me to man up will be reported as cyber bullying
    Man up you girl!

....I use 13s
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I use electric 10-52s on my APX-style acoustic because - 
    - My style is pretty-much electric-based anyway.
    - It's a lot easier to play solos.
    - I hate wound thirds.
    - The amp / PA does all the work anyway so I don't need to hammer the strings.
    - I can use the guitar's eq to compensate for the lighter bass.

Here's a live example

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    I did use 10's for a long time, but these days I use 11's.  Even with those my fingertips feel a bit sore if I have a long session playing them after playing nothing but electric for a couple of weeks. 

It can sound ok with 10's but it does depend on the guitar.  Most acoustics come stock with 12.  You would notice a difference if you put 11's on.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited February 2015
    Thanks guys

I'll swing into absolute music and pick up some 11's and 10's

I suppose brand is the next can 'o' worms to open!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11872
    I'm not a fan of using heavy strings for no reason, but I think very few use 10s on an acoustic -most likely a setup issue is the problem

Good quality acoustics with a solid wood top tend to need a certain amount of tension to sound right, it changes the way the top works
    I've found that most sound OK with 11s, but that if I drop to DADGAD, the bottom D can sound awful, so for 11s-tension I have to use a dedicated DADGAD set

You can do an experiment yourself - tune the guitar down 2 semitones, and see if it sounds less bright and alive. 
    Once you choose a gauge (which I'm guessing will be 11s), you can fine tune the truss rod and action if needs be. Many acoustics have a very high bridge, which is an issue if you play up to the 14th fret

For the finger-stress, it is harder work to play an acoustic, and the action will be higher usually (this also affects tone - too low will make it sound poor), but as ICBM says, the first thing to suspect is a high nut, since almost all new guitars arrive in this condition
    I often drop the bridge a bit too, but since you can't raise it up again without a shim, could be worth getting a Pro to do it

I'll swing into absolute music and pick up some 11's and 10's
    Be sure to check the gauges, some of them can be odd.

Typically, you may find…

10s - 10, 14, 23, 30, 39, 47
    11s - 11, 15, 22, 32, 42, 52
    12s - 12, 16, 24, 32, 42, 53

Notice the odd gauges in the 11s.

When I had two different-type electro-acoustics, one more of a thinline solidbody, I used to simply get a set of 10s for that and a set of 11s for the fully acoustic one and swap the G strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomer;511102" said:
    [quote="Travisthedog;33793"]Posts telling me to man up will be reported as cyber bullying
    Man up you girl!

....I use 13s[/quote]

Mods!!!

I've been cyber bullied
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I have 10s on my Taylor. Sounds fine to me. No punter will notice the difference!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    10's on mine. Gives me a nice bright tone.
    Strangely, I prefer heavier strings on my electrics.
    Sassafras said:
    10's on mine. Gives me a nice bright tone.
    Strangely, I prefer heavier strings on my electrics.
    You're even weirder than me then! :)

I thought I was unusual enough in preferring 11s on both electric and acoustic...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I suppose it's because I find 11s easier to grab for bends on the electrics.