Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - Got my hands on something stripped and simple (the guitar not my missus)

What's Hot
nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
Yesterday was a very interesting NGD for me.  I've always been tempted by a Les Paul Jr with single P90 but could never justify the Custom shop price tags and the normal Gibson offerings I'd tried just didn't quite hit the mark.

Then I happened to stumble across a build made by John Palir who has an interesting take on reliced guitars and it just seemed to hit the spot with me.  I thought I'd stick in a very cheeky lowball offer (in the style of @Lew) on Reverb.com only to wake up the next morning to find it had been accepted.  Well after a very long wait with the surface mail shipping from Canada (nearly 10 weeks), and then fearing Parcelforce would have done their best attempt at knocking off the headstock it finally arrived in one piece:
imageimageimageimage

The neck is stripped back and is so comfortable to play.  It's got a 60s profile neck which still feels like it's got a bit of meat behind it.  The pickup is a Porter P90 which really packs some punch when pushed but gives a great clean tone when rolling back on the volume.

The aging and relic is a in the Palir fashion which strays away from the repro style and just becomes more of an extreme art form.  It won't be everyone's taste but I personally love it.

Now I'm in the process of tweaking the set up to get it exactly to my liking.  It's giving me a bit of a challenge getting the intonation spot on with the wraparound tailpiece and lack of adjustment.  I'm thinking of fitting a compensated version if it proves to be too much of an issue but at the moment it's liveable with.

Does anyone here have any experience with the compensated wrap around tailpieces to let me know if they're worth a try?  I've been looking at the Faber offering but would be happy to be guided in the right direction for something that is tried and tested.  Cheers
0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    HNGD...that is absolutely beautiful!!!

love the relicing...looks perfect to me. Also, personally i wouldn't change bridge....intonation is overrated anyway! ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    I said I don't like relic guitars....I take that back.

Because I'd be gladly have that along side all my PRS !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467

Top class! That is excellent.
  • Fantastic looking guitar. Good GAS!
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Love it.Congrats.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Brill :-)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Sweet :D
  • Very nice indeed.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Nice looking guitar.

The Faber stepped wrapround bridge is great.  Got it on an old Gibson SG special with 11's and it intonates pretty much perfectly.  Also, as it's Aluminium it adds a bit of zing into the mix. 

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Ideally 11 gauge strings as they intonate pretty well. Lighter gauges tend to be a little 'off'.

That is a great looking guitar!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Just noticed, is the bridge at 90o to the neck? or is it angled towards the high E?  

The Faber is designed for 90o having it's compensation in the built in stepping.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Nice - and good to see a custom guitar like this with the makers name on the headstock, not a well copied logo from Nashville.

Regarding the bridge - in the past I've found that wrapovers sound better than those with intonation adjustment (such as the BadAss) but there are lots more options these days and I haven't tried those. I tend to find that wrapovers do have minor intonation issues in much the same vein as 3 saddle Teles, so it becomes a compromise.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Lovely. Congrats!
  • I like that! Mojo axe do a replacement for vintage SGs that's good
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I've got an aluminium Faber on my JXG Jr strung with 10-52's and the intonation is as good as any of my guitars with tuneomatic sir six saddle tremolo bridges. I'd say do it
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Very appealing guitar!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Very nice. The double cut juniors are my favourite shaped guitars and they sound great with plenty of bite.
  • Wow awarded! Even though I love neck pickups, I'd happily add a guitar like that to my weaponry. Looks great, really does.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    nickb_boy said:
    Does anyone here have any experience with the compensated wrap around tailpieces to let me know if they're worth a try?  I've been looking at the Faber offering but would be happy to be guided in the right direction for something that is tried and tested.  Cheers
    Very nice indeed!

I use the Mojoaxe compensated bridge on all my vintage juniors and the intonation is spot on, expensive but one of the best (the other being Pigtail) IMHO.

http://www.mojoaxe.com/
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • That should be mine! If you ever sell it ...........

Would it be rude to ask the bargainous price you paid? Was it that low that your were wearing the metaphorical mask and stripy jumper?