Melodic minor keyboard

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10691
edited February 2015 in Theory
Found a little toy piano in a charity shop last weekend and modified it so that instead of being arranged around diatonic music, tuned to C Ionian and A Aeolian, it's arranged around melodic minor ascending, in A minor (or C lydian augmented. Or D acoustic - so you can play the Simpsons tune using just white notes). Just for a bit of fun. :)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wowsers!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :) thanks!! - I have plans for harmonic minor, persian and the hungarian major and minor, but the augmented 2nds are going to be tricky! I'm also going to have a go at the lovely neapolitan major family. :)

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2c492447.jpg
  • question: I can see why you'd want two black notes next to each other (D# = Eb in equal temperament tuning but not necessarily so in other tunings), but why continue the black to the front edge of the white notes?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    It's a toss-up between having equal size white notes like the one above, or black notes that don't extend. If the black notes don't extend, the white notes either side of the augmented 2nd have to be like paddles. I've tried both and I think this is better, plus your hand has to hop over the augmented 2nds, which I quite like. Re tuning, it's still 12-TET by the way, just that the scales have semitones, tones and augmented 2nds. And yes, you're quite right, the scales have to have combinations of sharps and flats (or sharps and super sharps), so it would need a whole new musical notation. Even the melodic minor keyboard does; as the black notes are arranged 1-4-1-4 rather than 2-3-2-3, some transpositions of the scales have double and even treble sharps.
  • Thanks viz I'll try to get my head round that! (It's way past whisky o'clock)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lol it was for me too, and reading it again now I'm struggling to make sense out of it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom