Pointiness!

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
Hi all, a bandmate of mine is currently looking for a new guitar, but I'm totally out of my depth when it comes to helping him. He loves his downtuned metal, which I know absolutely zero about.

If he was after a nice Tele or a 335 I could help him out, and our local shops are not much better. He's happy to buy online, but does anyone know of any dealers who lean more towards this stuff and have a good selection?

We're happy to travel, but not hundreds of miles just to see a couple of ESPs hanging in a corner.

I'll keep googling, but personal recommendations from members on here are always a bonus :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Is Suhr outside his price point?

If not then Guitar Guitar and Peach Guitars have loads.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    edited October 2013
    Sorry, yeah, budget would be handy lol.

He's happy to spend a grand for "The One", but would prefer to spend less if possible.

Wait a minute, I must be paying him too much!

Cheers, will check those out :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2013
    That puts him in Ibanez/ESP/Schecter camp.
    Guitar Village have quite a lot of those- as well as Guitar Guitar & Peach.

I'd buy an Asian pointy used myself though.
    They suffer from massive depreciation so you can pick up a bargain.
    octatonic said:
    I'd buy an Asian pointy used myself though.
    They suffer from massive depreciation so you can pick up a bargain.
    I'm inclined to agree tbh, it's a market sector which really suffers from depreciation. Without trying to be patronising, it's probably because it's largely a teenage demographic. New pointy/graphic guitars with powerful H/Bs seem to halve in value before you even get them home.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited October 2013
    I can't remember the model number unfortunately, but a friend of mine who is into that sort of stuff had a really great Ibanez which would fit the bill perfectly, if you don't want a Floyd. Double-cut but not overly pointy body with a carved top, two humbuckers, fixed bridge, matt brown/natural finish. Sounded HUGE. I think it was just under a grand.

Edit - Google image search suggests it would have been an RGA, probably a Prestige.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    If you can find one a Rasmus (i just picked one up from Canada for £300!) would be a good choice or a Jaden Rose series.
    Series 2 I meant....
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas

Jackson Adrian Smith San Dimas.

Both  Well under £1K. Both basically Strats with Floyds and hotter pup's.

Or a S/H Ibanez RG 550 prestige, again well under £1K should get a good one.

If you can find one a 90's ESP Grass roots, or a later LTD should be ideal

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Plenty of food for thought there guys, many thanks.

Now for the fun part, spending someone else's money!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deijavoo said:
     would be a good choice or a Jaden Rose series.
    Ding, ding, ding- we have a winner.
    Do this!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    p90fool said:
     He loves his downtuned metal,
    do the world a favour and get him one you cant put strings on

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Depends on how low he is tuning? Ibanez RGD is a longer scale so would be good and always mod-able so plenty of scope to get the correct sound he is after.. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    ICBM said:
    I can't remember the model number unfortunately, but a friend of mine who is into that sort of stuff had a really great Ibanez which would fit the bill perfectly, if you don't want a Floyd. Double-cut but not overly pointy body with a carved top, two humbuckers, fixed bridge, matt brown/natural finish. Sounded HUGE. I think it was just under a grand.

Edit - Google image search suggests it would have been an RGA, probably a Prestige.
    I still kick myself I didn't get an RGA121 when i had the chance. Apart from the pickups, it was great. :(
    octatonic;49469" said:
    Deijavoo said:

would be a good choice or a Jaden Rose series.

Ding, ding, ding- we have a winner.Do this!
    One went for £500 on ebay used last month. I just know I'd end up knocking the pickup switch. Some others models have been lurking on there in the £1200 bracket of late too.
  • Esp - they're brilliant. Go used. The new horizon 3 is an absolute tone monster, but a bit over budget. Used, they can go less than a grand. Seriously.

Otherwise, ibanez prestige, charvel (if he fancies 80s) or (if he's lucky) a used dean soltero Japan (bloody rare...).

USA bc rich. Bloody expensive new, but again, very occasionally, a bargain comes up. Needs to be super lucky.

Just had another thought - prs singlecut. Used obviously. Get one with a vibrato and pretend you're mark Tremonti ;)
    Japanese Dean Soltero on here got withdrawn due to no interest. 

Looked nice.
  • Deijavoo;49539" said:
    Japanese Dean Soltero on here got withdrawn due to no interest. 

Looked nice.
    They really are, but I think the seller was asking a lot of money. They're worth it, probably - I tried one in a shop that wanted 650 for it, and it blew my Ltd h1001 out of the water for sheer... Vibrance. The whole thing felt alive, and the hardware was just as good as the Ltd. The maple cap was a chunker, too.

As much value difference as that?  

Interesting. 

• Yeah, they also had a Korean one for... 400?cant remember if to was used or not. It was actually still good, but the hardware was definitely inferior. Build quality was excellent though.

They're quite rare, so I suppose prices can vary. This one was in nice nick, though. Just slightly tarnished bridge.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Ibby 550 and some new pickups? get a 20 year old one and have some beer money left over :)