Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Solo of the Month? Anyone interested.....

What's Hot
Could provide a different short backing track each month and get people to submit their solos over the top of it.

Anyone game?
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Yep, more interesting than providing a standalone riff. It also meets Danny's request to "show a little of your soloing style"
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'd have a go, if you don't mind slow pentatonic noodling that doesn't really go anywhere.

I suppose I could learn a new scale to not really do anything cool with though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• Roland said:
    Yep, more interesting than providing a standalone riff. It also meets Danny's request to "show a little of your soloing style"
    INNNNNN-Correct

Riffs are awesome 99% of solos are mindless toss.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Except drums solos, then its more like 95%
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • hobbio said:
    I'd have a go, if you don't mind slow pentatonic noodling that doesn't really go anywhere.

I suppose I could learn a new scale to not really do anything cool with though.
    This could be an opportunity for you to expand your technique, either with the pentatonic or a new(to you) scale.  I'm willing to give this a shot even though I'm no shredder.  I've wanted to get involved in most of these but don't usually have the time, but this will be easier on me as I have a lot of experience improvising.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited February 2015
    Yeah definitely!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Yeah, I'll have a go at this if I have time :)

I find it notoriously difficult to write solos, though, and I'm crap at improvising. I may deliver something, but it'll most likely be a month or two after the deadline...
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Will probably start in in March so time to practice your soloing skills!
    Old Is Gold
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Sounds good to me - I should have a recording setup all working again in Feb so just in time.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

I'll give it a go, there's nowt on the tele, the wife isn't interested so it'd be good to give both hands a workout rather than just one

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to give this a go, but always being 20 - 30 years behind technology I have no facility to record my warbling!

Don't want to completely take the thread off tangent, but how easy/cheap is it to get good results?

• kinkin Frets: 1015

If you have a pc then download Audacity ( free ) then put guitar through audio interface from £30 up  or practice amp with usb connectivity ( fender Mustang one for instance, about £100.)

As usual you get what you pay for, £30 for a Behringer guitar link is unlikely to get top results ( though I've never used one it might be great )

I use an Apogee jam into garageband on the iPad, I'm a beginner at recording and not particularly tech savvy and I've found it pretty straight forward so far

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Good idea! I may not have time for it in practice but I'm all for it in principle!
  • Definitely count me in.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691

I'd love to give this a go, but always being 20 - 30 years behind technology I have no facility to record my warbling!

Don't want to completely take the thread off tangent, but how easy/cheap is it to get good results?

I'm just going to plug my laptop into my hifi amp using the laptop's headphone out, and play my guitar through my guitar amp, and video the result using my iphone!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Solos@thefb.co.uk @Antique_Guitars?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Solos@thefb.co.uk @Antique_Guitars?
    Yeah why not, will start the first one in March
    Old Is Gold
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited February 2015
    Go for it. Whether I submit anything or not will be entirely dependent on whether I 'feel' anything for the backing tracks. I worry that it might feel a bit too 'karaoke for guitarists' for me to come up with anything worthwhile myself (I'm not much of a player if I don't 'feel' it).

However , I'll definitely be following this and look forward to hearing what people come up with.
  • Yeah I guess we will have to use some of the free backing tracks off youtube or if anyone wants to make a decent quality one then we could use one of those.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yes.

I have loads of backing tracks and some royalty free blues tracks with real musicians.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!