"Brand New"

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30900
OK a real rant here- I am fed up with people thinking that, because they've bought something, played it for 2 hours, then put the swing tags on and put it back in the case, that it is in any way 'New.'

It is not. It is used, second hand, preowned.....

The market does not differentiate between something used for a few hours and someting used for a few years, assuming they're in similar condition.

Why do people delude themselves that their item is 'New' when it's as new as some of my jokes?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited February 2015
    I guess people can't differentiate the difference between playing condition and ownership.

The guitar can be described as "as new condition" but it is a "used" guitar. 

Since every guitar has been played since it was made in the factory, the guy on the assembly line would have played it to set it up, it is likely to have been tried and demoed by others.  So all guitars have been played in one way or another. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I went to the black market wife auction in Dubai they were really fucking fussy about differentiating between new and used? None of that 'tried it out but it wasn't for me' crap there.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the technical term we're looking for here, is depreciation :)

• "hey dude, you want my condom? Been carrying that in my wallet for few years now, but haven't used it yet. Brand new."
    Yeah..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Depends if the warranty comes with it. Surely playing a few chords on a guitar isn't going to put too much wear on it?
    As said above, it's got to be played to be able to give it a decent set up.
  • "hey dude, you want my condom? Been carrying that in my wallet for few years now, but haven't used it yet. Brand new."
    Yeah..
    If the wrapper is still good, and its still in date...surely that's shop soiled :)

• ^I don't want any of my condoms soiled, thank you sir! 
    Yeah..
    Would you consider a trade for a good chat up line?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Agreed (with the opening post).

If you're only using it yourself (i.e. keeping it and playing it) then you can sort of tell yourself it's new, if that makes you feel better ("Only I've used it! So it's new to me!"), but once it comes to selling it to anyone else, it's used.

Granted, as you said, if the condition is better because it's newer that might get you a bit more money (or it might even get you a little more if the person buying is willing to pay a little more for it to be newer... but then again you only have the seller's word on that :)) )... but that's not anything like the same thing as being "new", either.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    So if I try a new guitar in a shop for a while, then decide not to buy it, is it no longer "new"?

Leaving aside that chestnut, clearly there are two issues: one is strict ownership, and the other is the condition it's in. I've always taken it that people selling on the classifieds here, and individuals selling on eBay, know that potential buyers know that items are not brand new in the sense of ownership, so use the term "new" to specify the condition of the item.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30900

mart said:
    So if I try a new guitar in a shop for a while, then decide not to buy it, is it no longer "new"?

Leaving aside that chestnut, clearly there are two issues: one is strict ownership, and the other is the condition it's in. I've always taken it that people selling on the classifieds here, and individuals selling on eBay, know that potential buyers know that items are not brand new in the sense of ownership, so use the term "new" to specify the condition of the item.?
    Totally disagree. New and Used are binary terms.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Brand new = straight from the shop

used/second hand = not from the shop, ie used market

Simple.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes... it's binary!  A guitar is either new... or second-hand / used (including that marketing nonsense... 'pre-cherished'!!!!)

New or used.... that's it!

'Almost new'... is like being 'almost not pregnant'

:)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    If someone bought a new car then a week later tried to sell it for 10% less than they paid, how many potential buyers would they get? Zero. As the man said, its binary, used means used, and unless you find an absolute desperate buyer then the guitar price needs to be in line with the market for that particular guitar. PRS guitars devalue hugely because the type of person who wants a pristine PRS is unlikely to settle for used - they are typically the sort of folks who buy new, not used.
  • Unless there's some kind of rarity/short supply, advertising or expecting more than the ex VAT price for a widely available guitar is kind of insulting.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    what I don't get is if a shop buys a guitar from the wholesaler then sells it it's new, but if I buy from a wholesaler then sell it it's used. Tis blatant discrimination if you ask me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    I'd argue that 'new' from a shop is pretty well used already.

So the only thing that is new about it is the shop (if official UK dealer of said product) warranty. Shop returns policies with guitars are pretty awful as well.

I've seen previously sold guitars which have been returned, sold as 'new' many a time.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    What about 'as new' as a term to avoid people getting annoyed?

BTW @chalky, in effect that car scenario you described goes on all the time at dealers everywhere, when people buy a 'pre-registered' car.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30900
    There's 'As New', as in it's in the same condition as when it was bought, or it's still immaculate.

No one counts the amount of hours they play a guitar unless they have an incredibly strict practice regime and Momma's paying for your lessons.

Obviously you''ve never hired an amp or a guitar off of Brittania Row?

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Skarloey said:

BTW @chalky, in effect that car scenario you described goes on all the time at dealers everywhere, when people buy a 'pre-registered' car.

Not really, a pre-reg car has been registered for use on the road, and (usually) has the number plates fitted. This doesn't mean it's actually been pre-owned. Usually done by dealers to hit the makers target of new cars registered with DVLA. Usually involves a rebate for the dealer from the manufacturer.

Pre-owned means it's been used.

Demonstrator/ex-demonstrator means it has a limited mileage on it, and will have been used for a limited (usually less than 6 month) in that role.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)