Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Les paul style guitar with a flat radius neck?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited February 2015
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22706
    From a bit of research I was doing yesterday, I've learned that the Larrivee RS-4 has a very flat radius - 16" to 20" compound.  It's a 25.5" scale length as well.

You might not like the look though, and good luck finding one anywhere!

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4291
    edited February 2015
    Hey all!

I'm getting back into Les Pauls at the moment. Loving that thick big sound that my strat cant give me, even with humbuckers.

Having set the les paul up i'm not at home with shredding on it should the mood take me as i cant get that nice low action because of the 12'' radius.

Can you guys recommend anything that is in the les paul shape with set neck etc that has a lovely flat radius board or a nice compound board?

Many thanks
    What is low action by your measures??

I don't think its really a height thing and much more a radius issue.

The string height measurements on a 16'' plays fantastic but the same measurements on this 12'' is like i'm fighting with it, making hard work of it if you will.

Maybe a filing job on the saddles to suit the radius more is in order like someone else suggested earlier. The limitations of a TOM Bridge
  • Philly_Q;513166" said:
    From a bit of research I was doing yesterday, I've learned that the Larrivee RS-4 has a very flat radius - 16" to 20" compound.  It's a 25.5" scale length as well.

You might not like the look though, and good luck finding one anywhere!
    They look great just the price of them that's ugly lol
  • My Kramer Assault 220 FR has a very flat radius- 14 inches- and that is Les Paul style :) Is floyd'd though...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Ibanez CLM1?
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited February 2015
    Fortheloveofguitar;513174" said:
    bingefeller said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

Hey all!

I'm getting back into Les Pauls at the moment. Loving that thick big sound that my strat cant give me, even with humbuckers.

Having set the les paul up i'm not at home with shredding on it should the mood take me as i cant get that nice low action because of the 12'' radius.

Can you guys recommend anything that is in the les paul shape with set neck etc that has a lovely flat radius board or a nice compound board?

Many thanks

The string height measurements on a 16'' plays fantastic but the same measurements on this 12'' is like i'm fighting with it, making hard work of it if you will.

Maybe a filing job on the saddles to suit the radius more is in order like someone else suggested earlier. The limitations of a TOM Bridge
    How is your tailpiece set up? If it is screwed down low it would make stuff like string bending a little more difficult, could be contributing to the 'fight'. You could try raising it slightly to see if that improves the feel. As a precaution I'd slacken the strings before raising the tailpiece, not sure if it is 100% necessary but I'd do it anyway to be safe.
  • guitarfishbay;513266" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;513174"]bingefeller said:

Fortheloveofguitar said:

Hey all!

Many thanks

How is your tailpiece set up? If it is screwed down low it would make stuff like string bending a little more difficult, could be contributing to the 'fight'. You could try raising it slightly to see if that improves the feel. As a precaution I'd slacken the strings before raising the tailpiece, not sure if it is 100% necessary but I'd do it anyway to be safe. [/quote]

Hi Buddy

The tailpiece isn't screwed all the way down.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72237
    Does your Charvel have a Floyd?

If so the locking nut will make the guitar feel easier and more 'direct' to play because there is no extra length of string at the headstock - same sort of effect as the bridge but more extreme. When you bend a note on the Gibson, the string behind the nut will stretch too, meaning that you have to push the string further across the board for the same pitch change.

If it doesn't have a Floyd ignore that!

Also for probably about £200-£300 you could have the Les Paul refretted with a flatter board (planed flatter when the frets are out) and bigger frets…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM;513276" said:
    Does your Charvel have a Floyd?

If so the locking nut will make the guitar feel easier and more 'direct' to play because there is no extra length of string at the headstock - same sort of effect as the bridge but more extreme. When you bend a note on the Gibson, the string behind the nut will stretch too, meaning that you have to push the string further across the board for the same pitch change.

If it doesn't have a Floyd ignore that!

Also for probably about £200-£300 you could have the Les Paul refretted with a flatter board (planed flatter when the frets are out) and bigger frets…

Hi @ICBM

Thanks for your input

The Charvel doesn't have a Floyd. Is a standard TOM as well.

£200-300 for a refret and to flatten the board isn't to hard on the wallet so could be an option.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Looking at Vigier if your after a super low action also makes sense. The carbon in the necks make them very stable, hence easy to set up low.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    My Gibson V has a 12" radius and that's one of the slickest, nicest-feeling guitars I've ever played. Very low action.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."