Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So I tried a PRS SE last night...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

The older SE Standards have the awesome wide thin neck ,

my all mahogany one plays like butter , and the tone and sustain are superb .

A bit  heavy, but still my number one.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Ionian said:
    axisus;513427" said:
    Ionian said:

I don't think I've ever played horrible guitar. 

Seriously? I've played some very expensive guitars in shops and the were sooooooo bad. Usually when they have sat for a year or two in the wrong environment/temperature/humidity. I'm sure that most of them could have been substantially improved, but I have never felt like throwing a big wadge of money at something that played horribly when I tried it.
    I think the worst was a Gibson SG in a shop. Wouldn't have described is as horrible. Just a let down in playability and quality.

So in your case the guitars were neglected/not setup?

The two that spring to mind were both Ibanez electrics with piezo. Both had horribly dry fretboards, crackly pots, dull/tarnished frets, one had a wonky knob. They were secondhand but both around £800 if I recall. A lot of dosh for a guitar severely lacking care!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Played a couple of SE245s, they're not bad...

But they're also nothing amazing.

Also tried the Tremonti. And the Dave Navarro. And the Zach Myers.

Out of all of them the Zach Myers is a huge cut above the others. If they made it in a nicer finish I would probably be buying one!!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited February 2015
    I think any guitar brand can have hit or miss models out there.

I've owned my fair share of both SE and USA models, I've had a recent Navarro SE that I put USA pickups in and loved it, was so easy to play and it sounded great for any thing I needed, I sold it to get a CE 24 that turned out to be worse than the SE and It may me feel like an idiot! I had a McCarty that I personally thought was wonderful until I picked up a used old SE Tremonti from here that just trounced it so I moved the McCarty on.  I've had a Few CU24's though that have been amazing but looking at the nunbers it seems I've played more SE's that I've liked than USA models.
  • I've just realised I've read through this whole thread but didn't take any of it in after Deija's opener... I think I must be going through some sort of post traumatic stress disorder.  I'm going for a lay down, see you later.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Snob. :-)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    Octahedron;514865" said:
    Played a couple of SE245s, they're not bad...

But they're also nothing amazing.

Also tried the Tremonti. And the Dave Navarro. And the Zach Myers.

Out of all of them the Zach Myers is a huge cut above the others. If they made it in a nicer finish I would probably be buying one!!
    You can get all kinds of finish now, not just that bogey green.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2015
    I'm liking the look of the Splattered Maple runs they've done of a few SE models again this year. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    My brother has an old Tremonti SE & that's a great guitar to play. I sort of see the SE's as a great platform to mod.

I've always loved the look of them. But some of them are a bit too furniture like.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've not tried any of the new thicker se models like the tremonti custom but I'd like to. I had a Tremonti which I modded and loved to play but traded it in the end because it was just way too light. It felt like a toy on a guitar strap.
  • I've only ever played 2 SE's - an early Santana and a Tremonti. Not bad, but neither were set up particularly well so they didn't blow me away.

I'd be interested to try an SE Custom 24 though...