Locking Tunes Vs String Locking

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, Ive  been pondering about getting some locking tuning pegs but I wonder if it makes a difference tonally. Ive recently discovered that having the strings wrapped round the peg in a "proper"* fashion does make the strings feel and sound better but I wonder if using locking tuners would be just as good?

*proper means using the over and under the excess string method.. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited October 2013
    I like locking tuners but mainly for the speed string changes.

On my strats I'm happy enough with normal tuners for stability and like you say it's mainly about putting the strings on properly but my prs locking heads are a bit quicker to use and do a great job.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Jetfire said:

*proper means using the over and under the excess string method.. 
    Proper means the half-back-turn-and-lock-under method. That's as good as a locking tuner really, if you keep the amount of string beyond the lock point to the minimum.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Jetfire said:
    So, Ive  been pondering about getting some locking tuning pegs but I wonder if it makes a difference tonally. Ive recently discovered that having the strings wrapped round the peg in a "proper"* fashion does make the strings feel and sound better but I wonder if using locking tuners would be just as good?
    In my personal experience it would be just as good. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom