Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Les Paul Custom - Thomann?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Fuzz guitars in Nottingham had a couple in for £2150 as they are selling up and the new owners do not want ti stock Gibson.

I tried a Silverburst with a Richlite boards was very nice indeed.

Cheers

bluemonst

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Seen that in Fuzz too. Reckon Gibbo might be going back to ebony?
  • They even have R8 reissues for less than £2500
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    LPCs seem to me to be the most changeable in terms of tone/quality etc than any other Gibson.

When I bought my old one back in the 90s, I played literally *ALL* the LPCs that Rosetti (who used to distribute Gibson) had in their warehouse before deciding none of them were worth buying...

A friend has three early 80s LPCs  - two are magnificent and one is just a heavy lump of shite, that wouldn't sound out of place with a Columbus logo on the headstock. He knows that too - but he imported it from the US, paid too much for it and is sitting on it until the prices start going up... I think he'll be waiting a while for that one to be desireable. 

As has been said, try some before you buy.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    impmann said:
    LPCs seem to me to be the most changeable in terms of tone/quality etc than any other Gibson.

When I bought my old one back in the 90s, I played literally *ALL* the LPCs that Rosetti (who used to distribute Gibson) had in their warehouse before deciding none of them were worth buying...

A friend has three early 80s LPCs  - two are magnificent and one is just a heavy lump of shite, that wouldn't sound out of place with a Columbus logo on the headstock. He knows that too - but he imported it from the US, paid too much for it and is sitting on it until the prices start going up... I think he'll be waiting a while for that one to be desireable. 

As has been said, try some before you buy.

All of them and none were good?

I know Gibson's QC is bad but it's hard to beleive all of them are.  Were they all set up by the store or was it just straight out of the case?

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I was at Rosetti's warehouse. All had been QC inspected and set to their factory specs. I didn't like any of them (15 IIRC) and walked out with a black LP Studio that their guitar manager suggested I tried... it ate them all for breakfast.

But hey - someone else probably loved them. Its all about opinion, isn't it?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Custom moved to the Custom Shop in 2004 and I've had 3 of them since then. A white one first, then a wine red which was my main guitar for a long time, then I got a black one. They have all been really good guitars.
  • Chalky said:
    Here is a 1987 Les Paul Custom as an example of an older one that for similar money would not devalue by £500 as soon as you bought it...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0pcwuv9fzchgh6/lpcustom.jpg?raw=1
    I had a black Hondo Les Paul that looked just like this for my first guitar - unfortunately it neither sounded nor played like i imagine yours does : > 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2015
    My mate Paul has a lovely cherry 2000 LPC that he bought used for £1200 about 15 years ago. He keeps threatening to get it stripped aka Mick Ronson/Billy Duffy. They are great guitars though.

I like them, but yeah I'd prob go used because I'd want it made from real McCoy wood like it was in all the books & magazines I saw as a kid. To me that's the whole point of buying a posh guitar as an adult because it's the culmination of your dreams because if other companies are not struggling to buy ebony blanks why on earth are Gibson? Taylor seem to manage it, ESP, PRS? So again this is another reason I think Henry Jusckievicz is a complete tool.

Gibsons QC is patchy. But Thomann's return policies are usually pretty good.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    I've got a CS LPC.
    Here it is:

I actually bought it from 'Murrica, when I last went. Saved me a shed load on the new UK price. It's got an ebony board too.

I have to say, that whilst I have played some sketchy Les Paul's, none of the Custom or Custom Shop have been. In fact, just scanning back, all the LPC's I've ever picked up have been very nice to behold and play.

I'll probably get Lolly a sister soon enough. Think it will definitely be a black one. :)

I would ALMOST buy an LPC sight unseen. I guess I've just been quite lucky though.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I paid £650 for a LPC in alpine white in about '99. Cheap even back then....wish I still had it. I did a straight swap for a used Parker Fly in Academy Of Sound.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMO Les Pauls have more variance between guitars then any other brand. When I bought my custom classic in 1998 I must have tried every LP in the shop. So many were Dull and Lifeless, but when I picked up the one I bought it was instant love... Because of this I would never buy any LP (let a lone an expensive one) over the internet...

Regards
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2015
    I'm with @Teetonetal on that one. When I got my first Les Paul in 03 I tried 12 guitars in one shop (Coda) just Classics & Standards. The variation in feel was surprising.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31582
    impmann said:

And yet you tried 15 of them and didn't like any of them - I'd say that shows a higher level of consistency than practically any other manufacturer.
    ;)

Seriously though, I don't think I've played 15 examples of any single guitar in my entire life. Isn't there a point at which you stop thinking there's a QC issue and that you simply don't like Les Paul Customs, say after four or five of them?
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I bought a 2013 Les Paul Supreme in the alpine white burst from Thomann in December. Paid £1500. Bargain, came well packed within a couple of days. Richlite 'board absolutely no issues at all. Would definitely recommend them. As with all big stores there's going to be good/bad arguments but my experience was entirely positive.
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    @andy1839 avoid the supreme haters on the other thread. These are awesome guitars.