Pickup help

chenzmanchenzman Frets: 193
edited October 2013 in Making & Modding
Hi all, I've got an Epiphone les Paul 60s tribute plus(cracking guitar and value by the way) but don't really get on with the vintage sounding pickups. Currently fitted as some of you may know, are the Gibson classic 57/57+ set and I'm looking for something with more balls and crunch, ie tight bottom end. I've got a Jazz neck and Aph1 neck also to match a great bridge pickup to. I wasn't a fan of the JB, too toppy for me, but do like the Custom in an ltd horizon I have. Also have a PRS akerfeldt that I'm looking to do the same with. I'm thinking Jazz neck in the epiphone and Aph1 neck in the akerfeldt as it seems to be a very bright guitar with the trem etc. maybe it's just the pickups? Any help with bridge pickup suggestions for both would be great Cheers Vince
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 308
    I would suggest asking @Theguitarweasel for advice- here his website--http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/humbucker.html- If nothing floats yer boat, he might be able to make something to your requirements.  I found the JB a bit toppy/harsh, but fitted 250K pots which helped smooth it  down.
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 193
    Thanks mate, I'll drop him a message :)
  • Oil city (as noted) will make you happy.

Duncan custom is great, though. I reckon I'd rather have one of oil city monster alnico 8 muthas...

The 57s are among the only gibson pickups I really like. If you're not fussed on resale value, you could probably flog them.
    Any thoughts on a gibson 500t or Duncan Distortion?
    I'll probably keep the 57's incase I ever sold the guitar