Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

John Mayer plays a pink Jackson

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Now I'm really confused, Ed Sheeran who looks like a bit of a short arse makes his guitar look like a Ukulele. I need much stronger glasses or maybe cut down on the afternoon cocktails.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Ed Sheeran actually does play some kind of mini acoustic.  I don't know the proper name for it because I'm an ignoramus when it comes to acoustics.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Yes,I've seen him before playing a little Martin,I think it is, but it must be shrinking because that one looks even smaller.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    That was great. 

Just goes to show you can play anything on anything. Solo sounded like it was crying out for some more gain though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    They teamed up again for the Grammys last night, different song, same pink Jackson! Oddly Ed had Clapton Crash strat
  • When I read the title of the thread, I assumed it was a euphemism....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Saw that grammy performance , a great player I know , but , he needs to learn when to end the solo ,

and not carry it on over the vocals, and for the entire rest of the song , a few tasteful licks is all it needed...... BB King would have nailed it to the floor ..     :|

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    A man of exquisite taste.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2328
    Needs more divebombs and squealies
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    He plays the pink oboe. I don't know about anything else...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Yeah it's the 2014 'Shannon' Soloist, but actually just built by a load of random dudes in their Custom Shop to the sum of £2700.
    That's not entirely accurate. 

The Jackson Custom Shop is very small with only a handful of people in there.  These guitars were designed & built by Mike Shannon.  Yes, some of the final assembly work was done by the team but all the important stuff, like cutting the wood out by hand, was done by Mike. 

Mike has been with Jackson / Charvel from the early days and built Randy Rhodes' 2nd V, among many others. 

Personally I think that the USA Jackson / Charvel guitars are some of the best guitars we make. I'm currently saving up for one! It's literally a team of Master Builders in there.

Here's a video: 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    A man of exquisite taste.

Indeed. I think he'd get way more respect if he was uglier, and had had sex with fewer of the women the rest of us wish we could.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ed always uses that crash clapton and has probably destroyed any credibilty or value they ever had....
  • Ed always uses that crash clapton and has probably destroyed any credibilty or value they ever had....

Of course, there is a whole generation out there that thinks the complete opposite. Clapton is a nobody to the under 30 crowd (and IMO I'm being generous picking 30 instead of 40) who hasn't had a hit this century.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • this had made me respect john mayer even more, finally changing from his incredibly (visually) bland collection of stage guitars
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    can't find the video of the grammys but Mr. Mayer loves a guitar face doesn't he. non-guitar face pic.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Ed always uses that crash clapton and has probably destroyed any credibilty or value they ever had....
    You're probably exactly, 180 degrees, completely wrong. It's being played by a boy who most girls under 25 think is really cute, as opposed to a grandad nobody outside the Geeky World of Guitars has ever heard of.

:)

I don't know much about Ed Sheeran and absolutely nothing at all about John Mayer, but they make a class band together, judging by that video.
  • p90fool said:
    Ed always uses that crash clapton and has probably destroyed any credibilty or value they ever had....
    You're probably exactly, 180 degrees, completely wrong. It's being played by a boy who most girls under 25 think is really cute, as opposed to a grandad nobody outside the Geeky World of Guitars has ever heard of.

:)

I don't know much about Ed Sheeran and absolutely nothing at all about John Mayer, but they make a class band together, judging by that video.
    I was going to say, I don't find the music that interesting, but that was a really nice performance.  I like how Mayer made what is just a simple repeating chord progression remain fairly interesting without dominating the song with it by switching things around a bit. 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I first saw John Mayer when he did the Abbey Road sessions TV series.. I was blown away.
  • Si_ said:
    I first saw John Mayer when he did the Abbey Road sessions TV series.. I was blown away.

I remember that. On top of what you can say about JM as a guitar player, he also has an ear (and a wallet) for a great musician and hires some really good people to play with.

Telling you- if he was older, uglier and more obscure and played more old-bloke-friendly blooze fretwank and less pop music he'd be...shit, he'd be Joe Bonamassa. Who's the same age, incidentally.