Tele Strumming Technique I'm accidentally knocking the pup selector when it's in the neck position

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited October 2013 in Technique

So, I've just got my first T-style ... a G&L Tribute ASAT Special.

I'm learning some funky songs with that 16th strumming .. .and I must admit - I'm getting right in to it.

Problem is ... if I choose neck pickup for a slightly fatter, rounder sound, I keep knocking the selector switch with my flailing right-hand fingers.

Any one else have this problem?

Apart from reversing the knobs / swiches etc ... what can I look to do to avoid it?

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have the same problem with volume pots.

Sounds like your hand is moving way past the strings. Try to control where your hand stops/changes direction, slowly at first and really concentrate on this. Or film your hand's movement and watch back and see exactly what's happening.

Or get a lesson with a teacher to get your technique evaluated.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Thanks.

I do tend to have my right hand fingers (those not holding the pick) stretched out, not curled in ... don't know if I can un-learn that after so many years.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Mine are usually clenched and I hit the volume pot.

I honestly think it's your hand knocking the switch rather than a flailing finger.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I'm thinking I could strum a little more towards the neck ... I sometimes do that for tonal reasons
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I see this a lot in students- it can be fixed but you need to change your technique. Do you play mostly from the wrist or the elbow when strumming?
    @ octatonic ... I'm not sure ... need to get all analytical on myself .. get a mirror out while playing ... pretend to my wife I'm not posing and being vain :)
  • If you take the top hat off the switch and just leave the sharp metal edges exposed it will help you to adjust your playing accordingly. Usually one nasty cut is enough to do it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I know I go on about this but if you what the first few minutes of the Ross Bolton tutorial he describes right hand technique for funk.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 

I had another good long session today - being aware of it, I only did it once or twice in an hour of playing, so it may must be a case of familiarising myself with a different guitar with different layout and making the necessary adjustments ... hopefully it will diminish the more I play on the ASAT

@ Eric

I started watching that after the recommend in the other thread on playing soul / funk etc. Seems very good at giving some key skills / techniques that I will make sure I have. I've only been watching though,  not sitting with guitar and learning from it yet. Will make time to put it in to practice soon.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Mirror is a good idea. Just a small technical correction.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited October 2013
    I just checked what I do, and when I strum, my hand automatically moves about 2 inches toward the neck. It's the same with tele or les Paul . I've no idea if this is the correct way, but it works for me.

;)
  • I have played a Telecaster a lot and the switch selector has always been one of the things that bugs me about them. I finally got fed up of it and got Steve Robinson (who made my guitar) to do a mod on it for me as in the picture.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I believe John 5 likes that mod as well ^

I don't hit the switch, but I do hit the neck pick-up - so much so that my right little finger will not fully straighten out :-S
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Apparently it's a control plate from a John 5 Tele that was fitted. It's a nice mod.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited October 2013
    octatonic said:
    I see this a lot in students- it can be fixed but you need to change your technique. Do you play mostly from the wrist or the elbow when strumming?
    The shoulder, I think :).

Definitely much more elbow than wrist, of those two.

I hit the switch too - same on a Strat. Nearly as bad on a Jaguar, Jazzmaster or Les Paul, I obviously flail around all over the place! The ones that work OK for me are the typical 335/Rickenbacker-type position - far away enough to not get hit, but also a little inconvenient - and best of all the PRS position behind the bridge, which is the only one I never hit by accident but can always switch with the side of my hand mid-strum thrash.

Oddly enough it only takes a little adjustment - to correct the guitar design, not my lack of technique ;) - both the Tele Thinline and my Aria sort-of-Strat have the switch only marginally further down and back, and they don't get hit anywhere near as much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein