Older Fenders vs newer models / American vs Japanese vs Mexican

What's Hot
I'm looking to invest in a good quality Fender in the near future. 

Wanting to spend around $2000 AUD (1000 GBP) - 

Wondering what everyones thoughts were on the differences between the second hand older models (anywhere from the 50's to the 90's) against the newer models or reissues. Is there much difference? For that budget what gives out a better sound? 

Interested in Strats to get a nice Hendrix/ Frusciante kind of sound (will probably be looking to get a Fender or Marshall amp at some point). 

Any recommendations on models etc. ? 

This is my first post and so excuse any ignorance but any response greatly appreciated, 

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited February 2015
    Hi.  I work for Fender. 

Other than what you have described do you have any other preferences? Pickups? Colour? Neck radius? 

It's going to come down to whether a current production model offers the specifications you want or not.  

In an ideal world you want to go somewhere that has a few different models in stock to try. Only then will you know what you want or don't want. 

I'm not sure of prices in Australia but £1000 would get you a high spec used guitar here. If you're looking to get a guitar and amp you could probably do both with that budget here - a used USA Strat for £600 ish and a decent combo for £400. 

The possibilities are endless! It's a nice problem to have. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• Pretty much what Matt said, but I'll add that you can never go wrong with a USA standard Strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited February 2015
    Bogwhoppit;516268" said:
    Pretty much what Matt said, but I'll add that you can never go wrong with a USA standard Strat.
    It's probably worth mentioning that Standard Strats have been revised several times. Originals had cast saddles and in the '90s there bodies were made from multi-piece 'spreads' with thin veneers on top. 'Posh' block-board in other words.

Later ones had (usually) three piece bodies, better contours, pressed vintage style saddles and Custom Shop pick-ups.

If someone tries to tell you a 20 year old Standard is better than a new and destined to be a 'vintage classic' - they're wrong - the newer ones are much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bogwhoppit;516268" said:
    Pretty much what Matt said, but I'll add that you can never go wrong with a USA standard Strat.
    It's probably worth mentioning that Standard Strats have been revised several times. Originals had cast saddles and in the '90s there bodies were made from multi-piece 'spreads' with thin veneers on top. 'Posh' block-board in other words.

Later ones had (usually) three piece bodies, better contours, pressed vintage style saddles and Custom Shop pick-ups.

If someone tries to tell you a 20 year old Standard is better than a new and destined to be a 'vintage classic' - they're wrong - the newer ones are much better.
    I agree, I should have added models in the last 10-15 years.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665

Erm... thats a matter of opinion, Richard. And no opinion is right or wrong, mate. I don't like the current US strats due to the neck profile and those bent tin saddles on a wobbly two post trem... each to their own and all that. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann;516312" said:
    And no opinion is right or wrong, mate. I don't like the current US strats due to the neck profile and those bent tin saddles on a wobbly two post trem... each to their own and all that. 
    Indeed.

Newer ones also rolled fingerboard edges and thinner finishes....

However, I suppose it's conceivable someone may want none of those things.

Incidentally, I own a '94 American Standard Strat.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Oh and 'blockboard' bodies in the same way as Mid 70s Les Paul sandwich bodies are plywood... ;-) 

20 years of playing mean that the neck doesn't need rolling...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    impmann said:

Erm... thats a matter of opinion, Richard. And no opinion is right or wrong, mate. I don't like the current US strats due to the neck profile and those bent tin saddles on a wobbly two post trem... each to their own and all that. 
    Fender site says the saddles are steel on current US standard strats, what's the tin thing about?
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    They are bent STEEL saddles, not tin.  They are the same as American Vintage basically. 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    edited February 2015
    I like Jap fenders, they're pretty nice but like all things you can get shitters and stunners wherever they're made. Recent history (1980's >) tells me the Japs are better at making stuff than the yanks, weapons and trouble in other countries excluded
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    I think that if you're looking at £1000 or under new, you can't beat the Mexican Classic series. Second hand, you can get a US Vintage Reissue (AVRI) for that sort of money. I much prefer both these to the USA Standards.

It's not purely that I'm a vintage luddite who doesn't like the modern features, I just don't like the sound of the US Standards as much, at least not without electronics changes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I usually go with older Fender stuff, or Custom Shop but, I was tempted into buying a Limited Edition American Standard Strat (with rosewood neck) last week. It comes fitted with Fat 50s pickups and is a VERY good guitar - I've gigged it twice now and left the CS guitars in the rack. It might be a tad over budget but a "Standard" American Standard wouldn't be - excellent choice in my opinion.

Of course I'd prefer a little more meat to the neck and a nut that is cut to take 11s but we can't have everything and I do really like the feel and sound of it.

• Any USA Standard will be pretty good (Even some 70s ones, shock horror). 
    Its all about trying the guitar first and seeing if you like it. 

For what its worth the best strats I have played have all been 90s ones.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I own a vintage sunburst Japanese '65 Reissue Strat, with a bound fretboard and a candy apple red Japanese '62 Reissue Telecaster Custom. Both are extremely well made, quality instruments. People have commented on what lovely guitars they are both to look at and to play.

I'm perfectly happy with the guitars and to get the American equivalents would have probably cost quite a bit more money and whether that would have been worth it for me is debatable.
    We are all Chameleons...
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    edited February 2015
    I've owned two USA Standard Teles; a 98 and a 2004, and aside from me going off Teles, they were both very good guitars.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Really it depends on whether you like the vintage 7.25" radius as is found on the vintage reissue type guitars like the Mex classics (the Classic Players have more modern radii) or the more standard 9.5" as found on most other stuff including the US standards.

The vintage type guitars also usually have thinner frets than the medium jumbos on the more modern stuff. Then you have the neck thickness to check out.

My '89 Standard is a great guitar but I am beginning to find the very slim neck a bit tiring nowadays so it makes very good sense to make a list of candidates and thoroughly test drive them.

Good luck.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I'm an owner of the Japan 62 ri strat and it's absolutely incredible. Great action, strats sound (as you'd expect) and built impeccably. Once I have the strings stretched in I barely even have to tune the thing, it's a beast of a guitar.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    I cannot imagine needing more than the 94 US standard that I have now.  Surely the diminishing returns thing kicks in at a certain point and I would imagine that point is quite close to the secondhand value of a nice one.   Unless I wanted the very latest thing I would always buy used.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LakoLako Frets: 4
    edited February 2015

I own 97' US standard in Daphnie Blue and 08' US Deluxe in Black with SD on bridge

http://i62.tinypic.com/5yulx5.jpg

Deluxe seems easier to play,sound sweet and it is just perfect in any way.But for some reason I do prefer the 97' standard.It just have a spirit .I don't know much about guitars but I thing that this is imprten.To have connection with it