Inexpensive 12-strings

My 12-string is getting in a bit of a bad way.  The top was bellied quite badly round the bridge years ago and I corrected that pretty well with a JLD Bridge Doctor.  That kept it alive for another few years, but now the top at the neck end is caving in.  I've kept it tuned to D with light strings for ages but I think it's time either to fix it or get another one.  It's a 1980s Hondo, so not worth much especially in this condition (although it's got a half decent set of Grovers on it), so I'm tempted to have a go at a neck reset myself with a "nothing to lose" attitude, but assuming that fails (I've only neck reset I've done was on a ukulele) I'll be looking at finding another 12-string...

I don't use it THAT much, so wouldn't be wanting to spend more than £250 probably.  Should I be looking at the obvious Tanglewoods, Sigmas et al, or is there something else that's good at that sort of money.  I'm fine with second hand if I can get something better for the money, but I would like to be able to tune to standard pitch without it becoming a banana.

Any suggestions most welcome :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Epiphone DR212 is supposed to be quite good and only £149

• I have a Vintage Brett 12 string. Parlour sized & electroacoustic I LOVE it- I've actually sold all my other acoustics because it suits me perfectly. 
    Mine was £320 new (with a fitted hard case- it's strangely proportioned so won't fit most standard cases). You might be able to pick one up second hand within budget.

I used to have a Simon & Patrick Cedar 12 (I paid £200 second hand), that was the best sounding guitar I've ever owned… It was HUGE though (both body and neck felt massive), so I sold it on. I wish I'd kept it.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    If you don't mind a smaller bodied beast, the Vintage (make) Paul Brett 12 strings are excellent. You might get one £250ish on ebay - like this (nowt to do with me, mind)

Ah, we crossed @stimpsonslostson :)

• Great minds think alike? Or fools never differ? ;)
  • Thanks.
    @stimpsonslostson, my Hondo is big - copy of a Martin D28 I think - so size doesn't bother me.  My 6-string acoustic is a Tanglewood TW133 parlour, so it might be good to stick with a full-size 12-string anyway.
  • Thanks @jookychap, I have heard those Vintages are supposed to be good.  Not sure if I want two parlour size guitars though...

I'm not going to rush out and buy or bid on anything yet though - I want to have a go at a neck reset on the Hondo first as it's not got much value, then if I completely screw it up I'll keep/flog the tuners and the bridge doctor and buy something else.

Slightly off-topic, but anybody happen to know what the glue's likely to be in an '80s Hondo?  The ukulele I did the neck reset on steamed apart quite easily, but I've read some stuff about some Japanese guitars of around that time using epoxy and being all but impossible to get apart.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    You could also get a nice Takamine 12. I can't remember the model numbers but they're the EG series acoustics.
    2nd hand about £200-250.
    Thanks @jookychap, I have heard those Vintages are supposed to be good.  Not sure if I want two parlour size guitars though...

I'm not going to rush out and buy or bid on anything yet though - I want to have a go at a neck reset on the Hondo first as it's not got much value, then if I completely screw it up I'll keep/flog the tuners and the bridge doctor and buy something else.

Slightly off-topic, but anybody happen to know what the glue's likely to be in an '80s Hondo?  The ukulele I did the neck reset on steamed apart quite easily, but I've read some stuff about some Japanese guitars of around that time using epoxy and being all but impossible to get apart.
    @wezV would know better than me, but I took a neck off a Hondo Les Paul and the glue melted with a soldering iron...

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChap said:
    @wezV would know better than me, but I took a neck off a Hondo Les Paul and the glue melted with a soldering iron...
    Thanks, sounds promising.  I've got nothing to lose really, if it works I'll be happy (it sounds really quite good despite being worthless) and if it goes horribly wrong it's not like I've killed anything of any real value.

@6feet7, I'm not really looking for an electric, but thanks anyway :)
    Actually that was mis-leading, I had a soldering iron resting on a knife against the joint, so the iron heated the knife - heated the joint - melted the glue. Didn't set fire to the neck that way :) 

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My local shop has a lovely Tanglewood 12 string for £189 brand new. It's been reduced in a sale, it was still there last Saturday.

Music Centre, Bedford......01234 346206

Their website has an online shop, it might be on there but if you give them a call speak to Ross or Brice and tell them 'Andy' told you about it.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    edited February 2015
    I thought @hobbio had one for sale in the classifieds (unless it's sold). Might be worth a look.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    @Gru I sold it mate, @Alnico is the new owner. Thanks for thinking about me though!

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I almost bought a reissue fender villager off someone on here, still regret not getting it
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Try Cort.

They're often overlooked and not for any good reason.

I have an MR710F, and I had a matching MR710F 12 string for a while.

Honestly when I didn't like my Tanglewood parlour anymore I actually nearly just bought a 2nd matching Cort so I could have one in standard tuning, one in altered tunings and the 12 string to complete the family.

Sadly I sold the 12-string.

I was in a shop the other day and picked up a 12 string to play - just a "nobody's" brand here in Aus called Tribute. $298 Aussie sheets. Not bad. I don't like their 6-string dread but their 12 sure had a nice full sound and a decent tone for the price tag.

I nearly, nearly bought one. Heck I might still. As much as I love solo acoustic 6 string I love that depth and the additional sonic dimensions afforded by the extra 6 strings!! :)

Long live the 12 string.

Try Cort. And good luck in your quest!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Can you not get a pedal that makes a 6 sound like a 12, these days..? Then you wouldn't have to endure playing a 12...No offence - I just never could get on with a 12..

:)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't think any pedal could sound like a decent 12 in full song.
    I know chorus is supposed to approximate the sound but to my ears it fails miserably.
  • I've not heard of one specifically for that purpose. But I've seen one which was a chorus pedal with a 12-string setting on it.

I still don't feel modulation (pedals or otherwise) are really up to the job. Nothing beats the real thing.

Shame that you can't get along with it. :(

Watching some YouTube videos has only further inspired my build up of GAS for one :(
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/