I tried a guitar and I liked it..EDIT.....and got it!!!

What's Hot
KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
edited January 2015 in Guitar
PRS EGI (Series II) - bolt on, 22 fret, moon inlays, HSH configuration.
I never thought I'd get this sort of quack out of a PRS in addition to the strong humbucker sounds I was already familiar with from my CU24. It has coil taps on the 2 humbuckers and I think the middle single coil is a Fralin. Superb player and what a workhorse - definite GAS for this.

Any love for these non-blingy PRS guitars, or any owners here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Played but not bought by the sound of it?  No mention of the colour though.  Which neck profile?

Love for PRS EG guitars?

Definitely, I have an EG4 HSS, moons, trem, bolt on WT neck, later phase II locking tuners, in gold top solid colour, it's had a life and needs a bit of TLC (which is on the to-do list)  Great guitar though.
    I would love to buy it a sister sometime.  Some of those solid colours look great, and they are available for reasonable money with different pickup combinations.  EG or CE model, nice guitars and under rated IMHO

The SE models can be good too, I have a DC Soapbar II with Iron Gear P90s which is better than it has any right to be.  Subtle figuring in the mahogany with a Cherry varnish looks great and not blingy at all, sort of SGesque, plays and sounds fantastic too.
    SE EGs are also available.
    Is that the GAS I hear knocking ?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I love the EG models - I was watching one on ebay that went (imo) for a great price but was collect only....
    I still regret not grabbing the gold one that was for sale on MR... next time I see one and have the cash I'll grab it!

The SE EG's seem to go for a lot more than I would expect - I'm fairly sure they have the wide/fat neck compared to the wide/thin on the US models.

I think most people who like PRS here appreciate the quality of the CE's and I'd happily have one but I'm not sure they are different enough from my custom24 to warrant buying one unless the price was amazingly good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'd love an EG I always thought they were kinda fugly in the nineties but they grew on me. Especially when you see the prices some of them go for now. Its an awful lot of guitar for the cash.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Same here, I always thought they were a slightly awkward design that didn't quite work visually - the one with a humbucker and two angled single coils especially - but they're still a proper US-made PRS that sells for less than a new SE Custom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I like them, as you said KK, could be a cracking workhorse. 

Only issue I've heard of is cracking around the neck pocket seems to be quite regular with these, although probably just paint rather than wood, worth checking none the less.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I played a CE24 yesterday and thought it was really nice. It was on sale for just under a grand.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2013
    I'm not sure of the neck profile. It's quite narrow, certainly narrower than my CU24, but wider than my Fender CP Strat (12" radius).So, having looked at the PRS site, I'd say it's a Regular profile.

I also can't work out it's age - Serial No:352829 - it doesn't seem to correspond to the PRS Year Identification numbers but it I think it's an early 90's one.

This really does meld my 2 existing guitars into one - something I really wanted without having to fork out on a Suhr. Well, looks like the Tele for my 50th is gonna have to take a back seat and this is more me. It belongs to a friend of mine who's been trying to sell it for over year (really does show that people's interest in PRS is waning) but I could nab this for under £700 with PRS case. Good price?

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Hey KK- long time no see. Pop over some time - be great to catch up. I always liked the EG series - they were bargains in their day and pretty versatile.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited April 2014
    You can see it here amongst good company - the guy who owns the EG-II, an old bandmate, owns 6 of the PRS guitars on show here. I own the cherry sunburst (3rd in from the right and before it was pimped) and the other 2 belong to another friend/bandmate - we had a west coast band playing Eagles, Doobies, Steely Dan etc and had the obligatory 3 guitarists!
    From L-R, I think we have some SEs, a Johnny Hiland, an EG-II (now mine), a CU24, a 513, my old CU24, a CU22 and I think another SE.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    dindude said:
    I like them, as you said KK, could be a cracking workhorse. 

Only issue I've heard of is cracking around the neck pocket seems to be quite regular with these, although probably just paint rather than wood, worth checking none the less.
    No cracking showing D but it's been hardly used. Thanks for the heads up on that though.
    Kebabkid said:
    I'm not sure of the neck profile. It's quite narrow, certainly narrower than my CU24, but wider than my Fender CP Strat (12" radius).So, having looked at the PRS site, I'd say it's a Regular profile.

I also can't work out it's age - Serial No:352829 - it doesn't seem to correspond to the PRS Year Identification numbers but it I think it's an early 90's one.

This really does meld my 2 existing guitars into one - something I really wanted without having to fork out on a Suhr. Well, looks like the Tele for my 50th is gonna have to take a back seat and this is more me. It belongs to a friend of mine who's been trying to sell it for over year (really does show that people's interest in PRS is waning) but I could nab this for under £700 with PRS case. Good price?

I really like that!
    If I saw that for sale for £700 I'd buy it - you can pick them up a little cheaper  (a 3 single coil version in red I was watching went for £500 yesterday)  but it looks lovely and you know the history of it.  

I'd go as far to say if I hadn't just bought an amp this morning thatif you don't want it then I would ask for his contact details so I can.

If he'll drop a little on the price then it becomes a great buy (imho)
    Kebabkid said:

I really like that!
    If I saw that for sale for £700 I'd buy it - you can pick them up a little cheaper  (a 3 single coil version in red I was watching went for £500 yesterday)  but it looks lovely and you know the history of it.  

I'd go as far to say if I hadn't just bought an amp this morning thatif you don't want it then I would ask for his contact details so I can.

If he'll drop a little on the price then it becomes a great buy (imho)
    Cheers John but I'm sure he won't drop below that and may even want close to £750. However, at this moment in time, I'm going to see if I can nab it.
    FelineGuitars;50059" said:
    Hey KK- long time no see.

Pop over some time - be great to catchup.

I always liked the EG series - they were bargains in their day and pretty versatile.
    Cheers Jon and I will, as promised.
    Take care
    edited April 2014
    Serial number update from PRS - it's a 1993 EG-II model in Tri-Colour Sunburst 
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    That really is a very nice looking PRS.

Just like John, I would love to own that one.

£700+ seems a little steep in the current market, so that is very obviously why it's not sold for a year.
    Maybe you need to educate him a little on that.  PRS prices have nose dived over the last year.
    Show him this link to Peach for an idea of selling PRS now  (USA single cut + trem, it's just gone, but what a bargain, & from a dealer too)

I would have thought around £600 was a reasonable compromise, but it depends how much you want the guitar, it may well be worth paying more to own it.
    PRS prices will rise again once we are out of this economic nightmare, but if it's a keeper then why not go for it?

Good luck, I think that is a beautiful guitar, it deserves to be played.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks guys for your comments and GAS encouragement.
    £600 is where I think I should pitch it too and he may go for that from a mate. I'll keep you posted and I'm enjoying playing it at the mo!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Kebabkid said:

The bolt on guitars don't use the same serial number system as the set neck PRS guitars.

I've just dug out my PRS book for the first time in years.  The first digit is the year.  The second digit denotes the code for the model - 5 for an EG in this case (CE would be 7).  The remaining 4 digits are a sequential number.  Yours would be a late 1993 (sequential numbers are approx 2071 to 2870).
    edited October 2013
    Thanks @crunchman and that ties in with what PRS support told me
    Still smiling and it's a lot of guitar!
    edited October 2013
    Update...........The EG-1 guitar is now mine!

There was a sudden turn of events last week as the head gasket on my car blew and that was going to be a costly repair - so costly that my lovely PRS CU24 (shown above) was going to have to be sold to pay the bill and the ad was written up for here and sitting in my drafts. However, my mate in shining armour, and coincidentally the owner of the EG-1, came up with the idea of swapping our respective PRS guitars and giving me a suitable cash adjustment - RESULT!

Sad to see the old girl go but at least she's stayed in the fold, so to speak, and the EG-1 is just a phenomenally good guitar and more me. As I said earlier, it's a damn good workhorse and covers so much ground.