Please help identify a Martin (now help me choose a Martin).

What's Hot
ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
edited February 2015 in Acoustics
Evening folks,

First time venturing into this part of the forum and I come seeking the Obi Wan of Martin super sleuths. I'm trying to figure out the model.

Rather than spoil it with suggestions can you tell me what it is from the below pictures? I'm thinking of buying it & would appreciate some forum input. :) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That's just what i was going to suggest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Okay you guys are good. Thanks for that :)

Have a wisdom.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    Okay next question.

D-15, 00015 or another recommendation?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Er, kinda depends what you want. I tried a mahogany D15 and wasn't inspired. I ended up with a D28, but that's not the most original of choices.

But D or 000 is going to be a question of comfort and sound. For me I prefer D, and got rid of the 000 I had. But that's just me; for others it'd have to be smaller-body all the way.
  • 000 for me.

Ultimately it depends what you want. In general 000 gives less top, less bottom and more midrange making It better for finger styles. A D is brighter and deeper with a more scooped midrange, better for strumming.

Of course a mahogany topped d will blur the ground somewhat. Go try some I'd say.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    I'd be buying a HD28 if it were my money, but then I'm mostly a flatpicker.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    000-15M

</end thread>

• Depends what you want and and want to play.

Generally Dreadnoughts are louder  and have more bottom end and more punch, they are also excellent for strumming and singing, e.g. Bob Dylan, Neil Young the list is endless. They are also bigger and some would say less comfortable than a 000 or OM shape.
    000 are known to have more mid range and are good for fingerpicking, also if you get 00018 or 00028 they have a shorter scale.
    Then you've got the difference in woods - Mahogany vs Rosewood….. it goes on.

Best trying a few first - Also if you are used to electric primarily - try a Gibson J45.