So, we played a gig.

What's Hot
geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
Mr @horse and I played a gig. I'm playing the electric guitar and Mr horse is somewhere sat behind our singer... there is an acoustic guitarist off to the right somewhere... enjoy!

Set opener Tired of Being Tired

Jangly country ballad Isn't Just Another Day

New song Something Gold

My personal favourite and set highlight I reckon Trouble

Token cover - Fleetwood Mac

Slowing things down with Grey

Our newest song and next single More Than This

Enjoy dudes. We have some work to do on tempo and getting things nice and tight, but half the band are a new line up and plenty of good stuff to work with. We had no control over the PA, and guitars are POD HD, no amps on stage at all. Sadly, no monitors for drummer either who played a blinder considering he could only hear himself and was playing from memory.

Cheers!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Enjoying vastly!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    Enjoying vastly!
    thank you dude :)

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Shit - you've blown my cover of pretending I play guitar!
    :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    Very good !  My eye keeps being drawn to the singer's hand though...  is it superglued to the mic ?  She looks like she's got a bad back and is hanging onto the stand for support.  Just being honest... Lovely music & singing though.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Very good !  My eye keeps being drawn to the singer's hand though...  is it superglued to the mic ?  She looks like she's got a bad back and is hanging onto the stand for support.  Just being honest... Lovely music & singing though.
    Her second gig ever. Confidence issue... working on it :)

• horse said:

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    edited October 2013
    Emp_Fab said:
    Her second gig ever. Confidence issue... working on it :)
    I'm anticipating an awful lot of this for our first gig in a few weeks ;)

Get her to watch these videos and then practice in front of a full-length mirror with a hairbrush. Sounds ridiculous, but it works.

Of course, I'm more like her and less like you when I'm on stage. You actually look like you want to escape from the stage at times :D My suggestion would actually be for her to get a bit more animated and for you to maybe tone it down a little - at the moment, I think the fact that you're quite energetic is drawing the audience's attention to the fact that she's not.

All that aside...sounding good, and very tight for only the second gig. Nice work!
    <space for hire>
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Lee!
    Hehe not escape, but trying not to stand on the cables. Stage was 5 feet deep including drums and PA :)
    Not sure that getting me to look like I am having less fun is the answer - probably more like more regular gigging and getting her confidence up is the key. I was exactly the same starting out 20 years ago I am sure. We've all been there :)

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Very nice..    is the first song one you posted before?  I'm sure I recognised it, which can only be a could thing :)

And very tight considering you have no backline amps and monitors!

I wouldn't worry too much about the singer being animated - she still looks like shes enjoying it and more gigs will cure it.    We used to say that everyone should do a couple of years of covers/club gigs and learn their stagecraft but really it's just a case of making sure you enjoy it and making sure that comes across - if you were local I'd want to come to a gig and see more :D
  • Thanks Lee!
    Hehe not escape, but trying not to stand on the cables. Stage was 5 feet deep including drums and PA :)
    Not sure that getting me to look like I am having less fun is the answer - probably more like more regular gigging and getting her confidence up is the key. I was exactly the same starting out 20 years ago I am sure. We've all been there :)
    See, my solution to anything usually involves me doing less rather than more. I simply put myself in your position, and the fix revealed itself :D
    <space for hire>
  • Thanks Lee!
    See, my solution to anything usually involves me doing less rather than more. I simply put myself in your position, and the fix revealed itself :D

• John_P said:
    Very nice..    is the first song one you posted before?  I'm sure I recognised it, which can only be a could thing :)

And very tight considering you have no backline amps and monitors!

I wouldn't worry too much about the singer being animated - she still looks like shes enjoying it and more gigs will cure it.    We used to say that everyone should do a couple of years of covers/club gigs and learn their stagecraft but really it's just a case of making sure you enjoy it and making sure that comes across - if you were local I'd want to come to a gig and see more :D
    Thanks fella - yeah I've posted the studio version on the EP sampler video before when I was seeking new members for the band. And yup must be a good thing! If you can hum the chorus tomorrow without hearing it again I am on to a winner!

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Top stuff fella! Dunno what she's 'not confidencing' about, sounds fine.

Good crowd as well, I do like to see a black bra under a white thin top  ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272 said:
    Top stuff fella! Dunno what she's 'not confidencing' about, sounds fine.

Good crowd as well, I do like to see a black bra under a white thin top  ;)
    I know! Imagine how awesome she'll be when she gets her self belief going!
    And yup. There were plenty of pretty ladies in that night!

• Nice one, good to hear your original material and I dig the Double Bass too. :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Nice one, good to hear your original material and I dig the Double Bass too. :)
    thanks dude - the double bass didn't half draw some attention!

• RoasterRoaster Frets: 18
    Enjoyed that mate, really good. You looked like you were struggling to reach the mic a bit though? Take your point about cables but you singing is more important. The young lady singing will only get better but she's pretty darn good now. Great effort for a first one and some catchy originals
  • Only had a chance to watch a wee bit of the first song, but all sounding and looking great...

(As a bearded man who plays a Tele, I may be biased...)

I agree with the comments about the singer and her confidence and I do think it's worth drawing her attention to it - but only for the sake of constructive criticism. I think we all agree that she's a good singer, but sometimes you do things on stage that you don't realise until someone points them out.  Confidence of course comes over time the more you gig, but then something holding onto the mic stand for dear life is something you can make a conscious effort to get away from once you realise you're doing it.

• horse said:
    That's not a guitar?

• Roaster said:
    Enjoyed that mate, really good. You looked like you were struggling to reach the mic a bit though? Take your point about cables but you singing is more important. The young lady singing will only get better but she's pretty darn good now. Great effort for a first one and some catchy originals
    Yeah, shared mic, miles from where I was - lesson learned on that one!