Resonator (with pickup) advice?

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
edited February 2015 in Acoustics
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone might have advice on what I could go for in relation to a semi acoustic reso.

I wouldn't be spending *a lot*, and I know that low enough down the chain, tanglewood, vintage, cort, etc, all make pretty similar types of resonator guitars.

I had a tanglewood biscuit before which was really nice. No pickup though.

I don't know if I would go for a cutaway this time. If so, I'd probably have to get a pickup fitted to an acoustic, as most of the electric resos are cutaway.

I wouldn't be playing slide as such, but would play "regular" style, and would use it for open tunings. I'd either leave it tuned to open D, DADGAD, dropped D or D to D "standard". But I suppose it would revolve around D tuning!

I'd like to use some overdrive with it to colour it up, so am thinking a reso with a humbucker or P90 in the neck might do.

They're out there. Or else I could fit a humbucker to an acoustic one. 

I think Chris Whitley did this.

Back to the question, any advice on some nice resos?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• To update this thread. I picked up a Republic Resolian 332 style in the meantime, and got a K&K BB pickup fitted.

I'm not sure I'm bonding with the chunky neck. So much so, that I *might* put it up for sale here soon. 

Are there Resos around the same price bracket as the Republic, which would have a slimmer more modern neck profile?

Maybe an electric reso as opposed to an acoustic one with a pickup...?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    I like the resolians, how much did you pay? Recording kings are cool
  • I paid 750euro new and got a pickup installed when I got it. It needed a bit of work too on the nut.
  • KristoKristo Frets: 130
    edited October 2015
    Alright Barry. I have a Michael Messer Blues 28 which I got after having a Busker Canon, which is the same as a Resolian. I didn't like the neck on the Canon and much prefer the Blues 28. I had a Wizard P90 added to it and it's great. I might be listing it soon though due to a recent Martin acquisition.
  • I've listed mine on the old flea bay to see how it goes. I probably over priced it, but will see how it goes, and revise accordingly! :\
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited October 2015
    Marcus Bonfanti seems happy with his Dean reso with a lipstick pickup. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    Marcus Bonfanti seems happy with his Dean reso with a lipstick pickup. 
    Yeah, if they have a thin neck, I'd be interested in one of those.