Gibson J-15 thoughts

What's Hot
Currently looking for a new acoustic in the £800 range and the J-15 seems to tick all the boxes.
Never looked at spending this kind of money on an acoustic before so not really sure whats available at that price point.

Recently knocked the band on the head so looking for something nice to have around the house and do some recording with.

Any thoughts on the J-15 or any other recommendations welcome.The J-15 comes with a pick up but I don't need one.

Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Never played one but I think they look great, and under £800 on Thomann with LR Baggs system and case,looks great value.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    As with all Gibson's if you can try it first, I have a hummingbird which has the most fantastic voice I have heard on an acoustic, but played one in pmt the other month and it just didn't have the same warmth, Gibson's do have their own tone, which on a good one you can't beat (imho) just make sure you try before you buy :-)
  • I'm really intrigued by these too. If you're into more traditional materials, the J-35 is available for just a little more. It's mahogany/spruce with a rosewood fingerboard. I've got major Gibson slope dread lust....

-Tom
  • mrchi;519803" said:
    As with all Gibson's if you can try it first, I have a hummingbird which has the most fantastic voice I have heard on an acoustic, but played one in pmt the other month and it just didn't have the same warmth, Gibson's do have their own tone, which on a good one you can't beat (imho) just make sure you try before you buy :-)
    Plenty of wisdom here. I tried a bunch over the summer and came home with a Dove. There was a walnut J45 that was awesome sounding but poo brown so didn't get past the patented "MrsF Living Room Test".

The lesson is to play as many as you can find. I'm sure a good J15 will be great, but I'm also sure it'll be worth putting the effort in to find a really good one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a "Living Room Test"

Thanks for the replies. Will be trying as many as I can find. Have bought plenty of electrics online without any issues but .acoustics are far more variable .
    Plenty of wisdom here. I tried a bunch over the summer and came home with a Dove. There was a walnut J45 that was awesome sounding but poo brown so didn't get past the patented "MrsF Living Room Test".

• svejksvejk Frets: 148
    I tried a J15 in a shop and wasn't blown away - it seemed to have a bit less of the distinctive Gibson sound. J35 was nice though, and v close on price on Thomman. Please write a review if you go with either, as I hope I might be in the market in a year or so ;)
  • glt56glt56 Frets: 209
    edited March 2015
    I bought one when they were first released and love it.  I actually prefer it to my Custom Shop J45 Goldtop, although it's not in the same class as my Martin CEO-4R.  However, the J15 looks superb and is an absolute steal for the money, it sounds great acoustically and is really good for live use too. Here's the other two in all their glory:

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I've never played one but it's good to see Walnut being used as a tone wood.
  • I had the opportunity to play one of the J-15's alongside a J-35 that I actually ended up buying. There wasn't a lot in it but I just preferred the slightly more retro looks of the J-35. Both sounded to my ears better than the J-45 I owned a while back, but I know the bracing is very different. They just seemed to project more sound-wise and have a bit bassier sound than the J-45.