Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What guitar did you always want but ......

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
...... now realise you will never have. (for whatever reason)

I always wanted the very blingy Ibanez 10th anniversary Jem. Most appealling, but it was too expensive for me. I know now that I will never get one, I still like the look of it, but my Ibanez phase has come and gone. I feel that I have done them as a brand and moved to pastures new.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    Not a fan of floating trems, and really like to have 24 frets. Also I think the Steinberger G series (full body) do this body-type better. Besides, these guitars are super expensive now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Every now and again I think I'd like a Flying V - the '67 model. Then I remember I'm 37 and should leave that sort of nonsense to the youths...
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    The very first electric I lusted after was a wine red Yamaha SG3000 that was on the cover of the Yamaha catalogue. I can still remember the smell of the print.

I can't see myself ever getting it now but ... oh my.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything costing more than £300. ;)
    I have two (very) young kids and a spectacular lack of spare cash!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom Florentine in Gold Sparkle. Played one last year, acoustically because I didn't dare plug it in in case things got out of control. But realised I'd never drop that much on a guitar. I wanted one for ovwer 15 years, but I think I'm over it now.
    And you know what else? Those safety lids on bottles of sanatogen. There I am trying to get the lid off and along comes my six year old and says "there you are daddy" and it's off in a Jiffy. Someone's gonna get hurt.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I hit the big 50 last year, but back in my early 20's I recall drooling over the Les Paul customs in Denmark Street, except they were way out of my price league at the time.  Ended up playing Fender style (Strat and Tele) guitars and loving playing them.  Then the BBC showed 'The Marshall Story' or whatever they called it, and there were a couple of clips on there with guys with Les Pauls just holding a note / applying vibrato in the sweet spot, and just getting the best distorted sustain / feedback.  Superb, and is making me wonder...  After all, when you've got a guitar setup like that, you really only need the one note.  The other can then be used for things like holding your pint glass or other such things surely?

I'm now mainly playing Parker NiteFly guitars, which I love in so many ways, but as it is a humbucker at the bridge, maybe I will experiment with a 'bucker that can get a bit closer to that Les Paul sound.

BTW @gassage, I've got a poor relation to the guitar in your pic, if you want to have a play or loan sometime.  It certainly wouldn't be the real McCoy compared to your ideal axe, but has at least some similarities.  P90 style pickups, Bigsby style trem ('Digsby' really, as the guitar is a DeArmond) and so on.  But it is a semi, not solid body.

Although I could now afford a Les Paul custom, which I did really want years ago, I haven't got space for another guitar.  Tempting though!
    @gavhaus

What is that? Linky?

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    albanov said:
    Every now and again I think I'd like a Flying V - the '67 model. Then I remember I'm 37 and should leave that sort of nonsense to the youths...
    I'm the same, except with me it's an Explorer.

OTOH I could pretend to be The Edge. I have the same amount of hair!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to have an R7 recently. I just HAD to have one after reading 'Million Dollar Les Paul: In Search of The most valuable guitar in The World'. I've always wanted one but never gave it too much thought as I couldn't justify the $$$.

I pleaded and pleaded with Mrs Panama and I managed to get one pretty sharpish. We don't really have that much diposable income so I was very lucky!

GAS pangs have been dispelled!
  • The guitar I have always wanted but not even played is a Gretsch White Falcon
    I have a horrible feeling I will find it awful if I ever do play it, so I have left it alone for nearly 15 years. 

One day I will man up and try it. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Ive always been drawn to firebirds in the same way. Never tried one, and generally don't care for Gibsons, but they've got a certain something
    GavHaus said:
    BIzarrely, the opening weird E Chord of Purple Haze sprang to mind when I saw it!!

• I dont talk about Firebirds...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    GavHaus said:
    Ive always been drawn to firebirds in the same way. Never tried one, and generally don't care for Gibsons, but they've got a certain something
    called a massive balance problem.

I always wanted one - Phil Manzanera was an early hero of mine - and finally bought one. It lasted three weeks before I had to sell it. I'm just not tall enough to play it - Phil is around 8" taller than me! I can't comfortably reach the end of the neck because it sticks out so far to the left, and the balance makes it impossible to tilt up at a steeper angle without it being too low at the other end to pick easily - if I was taller that would work.

I still play every one I see in case the laws of physics have somehow changed in the mean time, but they haven't yet...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I always wanted a vintage Martin D28H , but I have a Sigma D28H copy which my wife bought me as a present for the birth of my daughter. So it has so much sentimental value that I could never replace it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11872

I always wanted a Taylor Koa k24 or something similar....

But so expensive ! one day.