Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What guitar did you always want but ......

What's Hot

Comments

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    Samgb said:
    The chrone Satriani or blue flower Vai ibanez for me. I was just getting into guitar when the Guitar Legends concert was on the telly (Expo '92) and I drooled over the ibanez catalogue and the ads in Guitar World. 

I remember that Guitar Legends thing being on TV. Funny, all the people the 17 year old me thought were rubbish would be the ones id be watching now and vice versa!

I distinctly remember wondering who the hell John McLaughlin was. And Phil Manzanera too!

I bet thats on Youtube somewhere.

Hurrah and huzzah!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Jackson Randy Rhoads USA. When I was a teenager I wanted one so much I could barely eat, but at £2500 it was way, way beyond my means, that was 6 months wages at my first job!

Now, well it's the sort of guitar you can only play if you sell out Wembley with less than an hour's notice, I'd feel like a complete tit with one of them slung around my neck in my living room.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dude!!!!!!! Satch had hair!!!!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    dogload said:
    Which brings us to what I have always wanted and will probably never have - a Rickenbacker 4003. I love the look the sound and how comfortable it is to play, but every time I play one, I find myself thinking how much I dislike the neck. I just can't get away with it, and it always disappoints me. I've lusted for one since I first saw Lemmy with one, and probably always will. But I don't think I'll have one. :(
    Play some older ones - they've changed the neck specs a lot over the years. My '73 4001 has a totally different neck to my previous '06 4003 - much narrower and slightly deeper. There are even big differences between some of the modern years.

That may have to wait! 

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    dude!!!!!!! Satch had hair!!!!

I was appalled when after not seeing a picture of him since the early 90s, i discovered the loss of his magnificent pube thatch.  
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Wasn't that the show that Joe Walsh was completely out of his tree and sat down against an amp in the middle of the set?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Garthy said:
    Joe Walsh was completely out of his tree 
    Surely not!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    A pre '60s Strat. Don't even care what it looks like as long as the neck's straight and it sounds like a goodun'.
    Failing that, a Gretsch Bo Diddley as a novelty.
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    richh said:
    PVO_Dave said:

"USA Parker Fly, never tried one though and reports of how thin the necks are put me off actively seeking one out to try."

Can I suggest that you try a Parker Nitefly?  The original ones, no longer made, but available 2nd hand.  I've tried the expensive USA Parkers (Deluxe) and found the neck too thin.  The NiteFly has a chunkier neck, great hardware, and is easy to mod with new pickups if need be.  The more expensive USA equivalent (Deluxe, etc), have such thin bodies that apparently swapping pickups is difficult to impossible.  And I didn't like the sound or the feel of the Deluxe personally.  Heresy, but each to his own!

Thanks for the info Rich (I think, GAS might be reignited! :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    PVO_Dave said:
    USA Parker Fly, never tried one though and reports of how thin the necks are put me off actively seeking one out to try.
    I have a Parker fly deluxe. The neck is very slim but amazingly playable. They are incredible guitars, the easiest neck I've ever played.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've learned to never say never...

When I was a kid, the reality of owning a £10K Synthaxe was distantly removed from anything I could possibly imagine...now, here I am 25 years later with one safely tucked away.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    I've learned to never say never...

When I was a kid, the reality of owning a £10K Synthaxe was distantly removed from anything I could possibly imagine...now, here I am 25 years later with one safely tucked away.
    Sadly that logic does not apply to the 1950s Les Paul Custom I should have bought in the 90s when they were still just about affordable...

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    edited February 2015

The same things I always mention.... I've wanted some of these guitars for many years but realistically will probably never buy any of them for the reasons stated:

Yamaha SG2000 (too heavy)

Ibanez Artist (too heavy, neck probably too skinny)

Gibson Les Paul Custom (nearly always too heavy)

1958 style Korina Flying V and/or Explorer (not really ideal for the vertically challenged player)

Of course some of the above - and many others - would also be ruled out on grounds of cost.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I can never quite decide between a black Les Paul with gold hardware or a natural ES335 like @jalapeno's beauty.
    Gawd bless ya guv'nor !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6100
    In my dreams...
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • One day this will be mine...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    Take two parts Fender Starcaster, two parts PRS, one part Ibanez, one part Gretsch Astro-Jet and stir vigorously...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    When I was younger and had no money, I always wanted a Ibanez AH-10 (Allan Holdsworth model). I played one a while back, and TBH it was horrible. I don't really like Allan Holdswoth anymore either, so I don't suppose I'll ever own one.
  • An Ibanez Jem 7V.  When I was about 20, and had my first job, I nearly bought one but then I read about setting up the trem and figured it would have been much too difficult for me at that time.  

I did get an Ibanez RG many years later and was able to set the trem but it was a pain in the arse when it came to tuning and changing strings.   I've put the idea of Ibanez guitars behind me now.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Early Ibanez Artist.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.