Classical guitar strings

For those that play classical, or nylon stringed guitars in general, which strings do you prefer?

I've been experimenting with Savarez Alliance/Corum reds. They basses sound great, and are very flexible (when loose they are like string) but don't seem to last long - after a month the silver windings have gone where they rub against the frets.

The trebles I'm not so sure about. They are very crisp, but a bit glassy. The other problem was the strings took over a week to settle in.

Right now, I've switched to Pro Arte composites for a comparison. Initial impressions are that they settle in much quicker (hours), the basses are stiffer but don't sound as good as the Savarez, the trebles are quieter and warmer, the composite G I'm not sure about yet.

I'm a nylon string novice, so it's probably just me, but does changing strings on a classical usually take a couple of hours? 

What's your experiences?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've always stuck to Augustine or La Bella. They seem to give me the best lifetime and consistency between sets.

In terms of stringing up, it shouldn't take much longer than steel strings but they do seem to take a lot longer to settle in and stretch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited February 2015
    Does anyone else find the string squeak noise with standard classical guitar round wounds annoying? It's always tended to bug me anyhow, so I've often gone for the "lightly polished" or smoothed surface type of classical strings. I tried some fairly expensive Savarez one time, and they were nice, but the metal winding on the bass strings seemed a little bit too soft a metal, and would break after a while. Discovered the D'Addario Pro Arte composite core lightly polished ones a while back - they seem to be the best I've found so far:

• Megii;519706" said:
    Does anyone else find the string squeak noise with standard classical guitar round wounds annoying? It's always tended to bug me anyhow, so I've often gone for the "lightly polished" or smoothed surface type of classical strings. I tried some fairly expensive Savarez one time, and they were nice, but the metal winding on the bass strings seemed a little bit too soft a metal, and would break after a while. Discovered the D'Addario Pro Arte composite core lightly polished ones a while back - they seem to be the best I've found so far:

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=233&productname=EJ45LP_Pro_Arte_Lightly_Polished_Composite__Normal_Tension&sid=815b1825-a28d-4842-adea-1239f7e1092e
    I've been thinking about these, I use the normal Pro Arte strings but for recording the string noise can be an issue. Do they tame string noise well without losing much tone? Got to admit I'm put off a little by the price tag but if they work and sound good I may try a set.
  • mellowsun said:
    For those that play classical, or nylon stringed guitars in general, which strings do you prefer?

I've been experimenting with Savarez Alliance/Corum reds. They basses sound great, and are very flexible (when loose they are like string) but don't seem to last long - after a month the silver windings have gone where they rub against the frets.

The trebles I'm not so sure about. They are very crisp, but a bit glassy. The other problem was the strings took over a week to settle in.

Right now, I've switched to Pro Arte composites for a comparison. Initial impressions are that they settle in much quicker (hours), the basses are stiffer but don't sound as good as the Savarez, the trebles are quieter and warmer, the composite G I'm not sure about yet.

I'm a nylon string novice, so it's probably just me, but does changing strings on a classical usually take a couple of hours? 

What's your experiences?

I find changing them a pain and usually end up with a youtube guide on as I forget how to tie them between string changes. I'd say a good hour changing them then a week of constantly tuning up before they are stable. At least they last longer that a set a Phosphor Bronze. I've only tried Pro Arte's but would like to experiment a bit.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @Megii thanks for the heads up about the polished Pro Arte composites, I'll have to check those out.

@vasselmeyer thanks for the info on Augustine and La Bella. I've not come across these before.

After a few hours playing the Pro Arte's, I think I still prefer the Savarez for the projection and crispness. More experimentation needed!
  • Pro Artes here too. They last well and once settled seem to sound at their optimum for a while.

Given my hatred of restringing nylons - how long they last is probably the most important factor to me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    mellowsun said:

What's your experiences?
    Ten minutes to change them and a couple of days to settle in.

Part of the trick is to put as little string on the roller as possible - that speeds up both things. I tie the string on at the bridge, then pull it tight through the roller and tie there as well, then wind on. You should be able to get it up to pitch in about one full turn of the roller.

I admit it's one of those things that comes with practice, but if it takes two hours you're doing something wrong!

I like D'Addario Pro Arte best out of all the strings I've ever put on a classical - the harder tension ones especially… maybe it's because I'm a steel-string player. I really don't like loose-feeling strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited February 2015
    Megii;519706" said:

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=233&productname=EJ45LP_Pro_Arte_Lightly_Polished_Composite__Normal_Tension&sid=815b1825-a28d-4842-adea-1239f7e1092e
    I've been thinking about these, I use the normal Pro Arte strings but for recording the string noise can be an issue. Do they tame string noise well without losing much tone? Got to admit I'm put off a little by the price tag but if they work and sound good I may try a set.
    @menamestom They certainly tame the string noise very well indeed. I guess the bass strings are perhaps a bit mellower sounding than a typical standard classical string - if you like brilliance and loads of attack and definition, they might not be the best choice. But my honest assessment is that they still sound good pretty good -  they work well on my cedar top Burguet 3M classical anyhow - certainly not dull-toned or anything, and quite responsive. They do last really really well also - I can keep a set on for ages without feeling the need to change strings. I believe John Williams no less uses them for recording purposes.
    ICBM said:
    Part of the trick is to put as little string on the roller as possible - that speeds up both things. I tie the string on at the bridge, then pull it tight through the roller and tie there as well, then wind on. You should be able to get it up to pitch in about one full turn of the roller.

Sounds good but how do you prevent the windings on the trebles from slipping on the posts? That's always been the problem I've had if I just have a couple of windings. I tend to tie on at both ends to prevent this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    mellowsun said:
    ICBM said:

Sounds good but how do you prevent the windings on the trebles from slipping on the posts? That's always been the problem I've had if I just have a couple of windings. I tend to tie on at both ends to prevent this.
    Exactly, you have to tie it not just wrap it on. If you do that it won't slip even if there's only one turn on the roller.

The only thing I forgot to say was that I actually pull the string tightly through from the *far* side of the roller, if that makes sense - then tie the loose end under the main part of the string - twice if possible, although it usually isn't on the G - then pull it tight before winding on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks, I'll give this a try :)