Cut or curl? (No hairdressing content...sorry)

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I am referring to the strange habit of curling the spare length of your strings after fitting them instead of cutting them off. I have never for the life of me understood the reason. I can sort of understand if there are no side cutters to hand but I have seen professional musicians leaving the strings attached. surely this scratches the headstock?

There probably is no sensible reason but I thought that I would ask anyway.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cut. Every time. Only possible time to leave a little extra on the peg is if you have a Floyd, the if the string breaks at the bridge you can let a little out from the peg in an emergency. Otherwise IMO it's just a bit lazy. Also remember signed musicians are not always pros.... When I see it it always seems a very teenager thing to do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cut, every time.  Those loose ends are a health a safety nightmare.  They could take your eye out.

• Cut and jab into the end of my finger.

Don't even cry any more.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Cut. Preferably have everything with split post tuners though.
  • I've curled up the strings for years. The reason I curled them up is that I once very nearly poked a mate in the eye with a flapping string end!   X_X       Another mate used to curl up his strings, so I started doing the same.

As to why I've never cut them, it's down to poverty and the difference between 3-a-side and 6-a-side headstocks. Back in my impoverished gigging days I kept all my old strings as spares. If you cut a top e-string on a 3-a-side, there's no way it will stretch to the tuning head on a 6-a-side.

These days, it's puely down to habit that I do this.
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    edited February 2015
    I cut mine, it drives me bonkers when I see people playing a guitar and the string ends are flapping about all over the place!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • Always cut them too.  
  • Cut. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    Always cut them off.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Like @streethawk I cut and bleed. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Irritates the crap out of me to see them curled. I just think it looks messy and a little lazy (sorry).  Rock n' roll isn't a good enough excuse.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Many years  ago (late 70s) the lead guitarist in my band insisted on not cutting the strings on his guitar as he thought it looked cool and punky having them flailing from the headstock waiting to take someone's eye out.

Unfortunately during a rehearsal his amp was not wired/earthed  properly and as as he came close to me,  I has the dubious pleasure of getting  belted with an electric shock through the face as one of his errant strings brushed my cheek...  My only solace was that he too was on the receiving end as the path to ground was made.

So remember folks, be good to your fellow band-mates and keep those suckers short.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Curled is marginally better than just flapping around. Cut as close to the post is better.
    Split posts are the best, you can tuck the pointy ends in nice and neat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I keep the cut ends to clean windscreen wiper jets out
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "I Also remember signed musicians are not always pros.... When I see it it always seems a very teenager thing to do"

"Irritates the crap out of me to see them curled. I just think it looks messy and a little lazy (sorry).  Rock n' roll isn't a good enough excuse."

These are some very erm.... passionate responses to a question thats tbf a non issue, either way has its benefits, I curl mine so when the kids pick up the guitars they dont get spiked, I think one or two of you need relax a little bit  and not take things so seriously??? :)
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Cut
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited February 2015
    Cut then use my snips to press the end in to the post so you won't spike yourself.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Cut, but I wrap if I cant find the cutters
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited February 2015
    thumpingrug;521201" said:
    Cut, every time.  Those loose ends are a health a safety nightmare.  They could take your eye out.
    +1!! And its just plain lazy and untidy. I also push the ends down so that they can't catch my hand.

My 69 strat has split posts where you insert the end into a hole...really intelligent design. I wish all non locking machine heads were made with that design, especially staggered posts where the short post makes it particularly awkward to wrap and thread the string through.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Curl them and you look like a bloody hippy.

Leave them flailing and you'll have someone's bloody eye out and rightly be in line for a kicking if you do.

Cut them.

For Fender players Kluson style split post tuners are your friend for keeping the jagged end tucked away.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom