online tuition

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
I I used to be part of the artist works website with Paul Gilbert and I found that good but at the time my net connection was awful so I stopped it. Is anyone using anything online for tuition? Ive been looking at Andy James and the guitar academy but was wondering if anyone has any experience of this or others?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10690
    I have skype sessions with Greg Howe which I heartily enjoy and recommend.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I'm far from good enough for that lol
    They're not really guitar lessons, we do composition, theory, we discuss the art of music making; we use the guitar to try concepts out, but it's not a techniques lesson. It's really good and he's very knowledgable, and patient!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Justin is your friend:

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ yes he's really clear and comprehensive.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    Truefire. Someone like you would get a lot out of the Sherpa subscription (not cheap but some brilliant tutors and personalised video feedback) Sign up a new account and get a free week (I think) of access to everything and check out each of the tutors and course styles.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    Only issue I have with Truefire is focus - the temptation to flit about all over the place (and achieve little) is huge ;)

It is a vast resource.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Links please!
  • You have lessons with Greg Howe!? Wow!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'm self taught and I know 3 chords.
    The late Bert Weedon was my tutor years before the internet ever came into existence. I reckon his book "Play in a Day" triggered dozens of great careers in music. Just not mine.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jetfire ;

I signed up to the Andy James Metal Pentatonics course and it was awful IMO. 

I was very disappointed and, if the rest of the lessons on the site are anything to go by, I would not recommend it.  For a start the site is poorly laid out and confusing - I actually went to sign in this evening for you but my login wasn't working - another indication of how badly the site is set up.  

As far as I remember you can't download the videos directly from the page, although I have a fair idea of a few ways of how I could do it but didn't bother exploring these routes.  You could download the PDF versions of the tabs though.

I have a few of the Truefire courses and they are OK.  I've the Fareed Haque Bebop Improv Survival Guide and his Jazz Rock Workshop.  I also have the John Stowell Modern Jazz Improv and it's OK but I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

I was a member of guitarmasterclass.net and there are some great players on this site.  I mostly joined up because of Ben Higgins. Most of the lessons are geared towards rock and metal. Some of the instructors aren't very good IMO, but the majority are great.  Ben is the best one on there IMO.  

A lot of years ago myself and @Barney joined up to Tim Miller's site.  His lessons were good and he posted new stuff every week, on a Sunday IIRC.  I got bored as I started to loose interest in the jazz side of things but Barney continued on with them AFAIK.  I sometimes felt that when you asked Tim questions on his forum he was slightly evasive about giving answers, not in a rude way, I think that he wanted people to try and listen and experiment to find the answers themselves but this goes against what a guitar lessons site is for IMO.

If you want jazz then, again, Tom Lippincott's lessons on mikesmasterlcass.com are very good.  I have the Modern Jazz Improv II and would recommend.

I'm guessing you're a rock player.  The best rock lessons I have come across of late are the Troy Grady Masters In Mechanics ones.  His Cracking The Code stuff is just OK, but the Masters In Mechanics are way better and covers everything you could possibly imagine about picking, including stuff that most players don't think about.  You also get PDF tab of licks.  There is no theory explanation behind the licks though so it may not be for everyone.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sassafras said:
    The late Bert Weedon was my tutor years before the internet ever came into existence. I reckon his book "Play in a Day" triggered dozens of great careers in music. Just not mine.
    Only 3 chords? Pffff...! I know 5!  :P
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Sassafras said:
    Only 3 chords? Pffff...! I know 5!  :P

some of those must be doubles !
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    I have lessons from Jimi Hendrix weekly via a clairevoyant
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I signed up to the Andy James Metal Pentatonics course and it was awful IMO. 

I was very disappointed and, if the rest of the lessons on the site are anything to go by, I would not recommend it.  For a start the site is poorly laid out and confusing - I actually went to sign in this evening for you but my login wasn't working - another indication of how badly the site is set up.  

As far as I remember you can't download the videos directly from the page, although I have a fair idea of a few ways of how I could do it but didn't bother exploring these routes.  You could download the PDF versions of the tabs though.

I have a few of the Truefire courses and they are OK.  I've the Fareed Haque Bebop Improv Survival Guide and his Jazz Rock Workshop.  I also have the John Stowell Modern Jazz Improv and it's OK but I didn't spend a lot of time on it.

I was a member of guitarmasterclass.net and there are some great players on this site.  I mostly joined up because of Ben Higgins. Most of the lessons are geared towards rock and metal. Some of the instructors aren't very good IMO, but the majority are great.  Ben is the best one on there IMO.  

A lot of years ago myself and @Barney joined up to Tim Miller's site.  His lessons were good and he posted new stuff every week, on a Sunday IIRC.  I got bored as I started to loose interest in the jazz side of things but Barney continued on with them AFAIK.  I sometimes felt that when you asked Tim questions on his forum he was slightly evasive about giving answers, not in a rude way, I think that he wanted people to try and listen and experiment to find the answers themselves but this goes against what a guitar lessons site is for IMO.

If you want jazz then, again, Tom Lippincott's lessons on mikesmasterlcass.com are very good.  I have the Modern Jazz Improv II and would recommend.

I'm guessing you're a rock player.  The best rock lessons I have come across of late are the Troy Grady Masters In Mechanics ones.  His Cracking The Code stuff is just OK, but the Masters In Mechanics are way better and covers everything you could possibly imagine about picking, including stuff that most players don't think about.  You also get PDF tab of licks.  There is no theory explanation behind the licks though so it may not be for everyone.
    Ive had a look at Troys website and as much as there is plenty of info there, it doesnt seem to say what he is peddling? I mean, its about Alt picking sure but theres no real "Lesson one, buy here" type thing? Am I missing something?

Im glad you've had actual experience of AJ website, the promises seem good but the actual content is lacking by the sounds of things. 

May give Truefire another go because the content I have had from someone very kind who sent it to me was very good..
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615

yeah i was on the Tim Miller site up until about 6 months ago and then had a look at the Mike walker Practice2play...and decided to stay with that one ....i learned a lot of cool things of the Tim miller site but the practice2play seems more structured to me and Mike is a monster player....started relearning a lot of things on there i thought i knew ...i think its the best online site iv been on yet..
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    +1 for practisin2play
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I've had a look at practisin2play, looks more jazz than rock/metal. Would that be fair?
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 615
    Jetfire;522640" said:
    I've had a look at practisin2play, looks more jazz than rock/metal. Would that be fair?
    Yeah it is more jazz but i think the material presented can be used for other styles. .when i started it had a free trial for a week that gave a limited number of lessons to sample ....Might be worth looking at that first ....
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I bring this back up again as you're still looking

Scroll down down ... you will see a link on Justin's web page to a free trial offer on 'Jamplay' then, if you like it, a 10% discount code.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom