Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are old guitars actually better than new ones

What's Hot

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

Lots of talk about old wood, but no one mentions old pickups?

I would have thought the reason old guitars sound "old" was more due to the demagnetization of the pickups than the way the wood has aged... if you put brand new pickups into an old guitar does it still sound "old"?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    Maynehead said:

Lots of talk about old wood, but no one mentions old pickups?

I would have thought the reason old guitars sound "old" was more due to the demagnetization of the pickups than the way the wood has aged... if you put brand new pickups into an old guitar does it still sound "old"?

Yes.

Some time ago I did exactly that experiment with two Strats, a '64 and a modern one (Highway One, if it matters). I swapped the whole pickguards over - the "old" tone stayed with the old guitar, not the old pickups. There was surprisingly little change in either guitar.

A friend of mine also has another '64 which the bridge pickup died on - we were going to get it rewound, but while it was out, for a laugh we put in a spare Hot Rails just to see what it would sound like… it sounded like a massively powerful old guitar, not like a new guitar. Ten years later and we've still never bothered to get the old pickup rewound and he still has the Hot Rails in it.

Old pickups can sound softer and sweeter than new ones, but the real "old tone" is in the wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I read somewhere that the demagnetisation rate is something like 5% per 100 years.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nomad said:
    I read somewhere that the demagnetisation rate is something like 5% per 100 years.
    I would guess that depends on the charge and the conditions?

emphasis on guess
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I've currently got partially demagnetized pickups in one of my strats and I'm not that fond of them TBH. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited February 2015
    I think the quality of the woods must be part of it.

My '63 Strat was twenty years old when I bought it and it was magnificent. A really outstanding sounding guitar. My '94 American Standard is 21 years of age and is just another Strat. This would go some way to explaining why CS Fenders and PRS are more comparable to vintage instruments.

Perhaps 'old wood' is simply 'better wood' - and more stable?

The classic recordings - where the benchmarks of guitar tone were established - were made on using instruments which were not 'that' old. Clapton's 'Beano' Les Paul was about seven years old at the time. So while I agree there is an 'old wood sound' as @ICBM puts it - I'm not convinced it's simply age that creates it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think a lot of wood back in the 50's and to a certain extent 60's was old wood to start with air dried. All modern wood is kiln dried. Quality is better in most cases today for mass produced guitars. Remember you could not give a strat away in mid 70's they were crap.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11885
    Manufacturing is far better now than in the past
    All the old guitars you see now are the ones that played well, and that have been maintained and improved by years of repairs and adjustments - many manufacturing defects will have been ironed out since new
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I have been through a LOT of guitars in recent years as I realised that most posts on the internet are based on regurgitated opinion instead of first hand experience. In my first hand experience and wilfully ignoring all the 'theory' of why old guitars are 'better', old guitars are NOT inherently better. Sure you get good ones but there are an an awful lot of overpriced poor-to-mediocre guitars out there whose only claim to fame is that they are old.

The main problem is that so many guitarists buy with their eyes and prejudice instead of their ears and experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    Nomad;522602" said:

That's true. An alnico magnet in isolation will keep its charge for a very long time, google magnet half life if unsure.... But they looses its charge more if knocked. Strat polepeices get a lit of small knocks over their life

What do we know for sure?

Wood changes as it ages
    Glue changes as it ages
    Lacquer changes as it ages
    Magnets change slightly as they age

All 4 are small things in the tone of an electric. But you would be daft to write them off altogether

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    richardhomer;522630" said:
    I think the quality of the woods must be part of it.

My '63 Strat was twenty years old when I bought it and it was magnificent. A really outstanding sounding guitar. My '94 American Standard is 21 years of age and is just another Strat. This would go some way to explaining why CS Fenders and PRS are more comparable to vintage instruments.

Perhaps 'old wood' is simply 'better wood' - and more stable?

The classic recordings - where the benchmarks of guitar tone were established - were made on using instruments which were not 'that' old. Clapton's 'Beano' Les Paul was about seven years old at the time. So while I agree there is an 'old wood sound' as @ICBM puts it - I'm not convinced it's simply age that creates it.
    I agree with this totally. My 63 Strat was 18 years old when I bought it. It was better than a new one by miles, but not because of "aged wood", it was because new ones at the time were garbage.

If Fender (and to a lesser extent Gibson) hadn't completely fallen off the rails during the 70s there probably wouldn't even be a vintage guitar market as we know it today.

It was the era of mass market manufacturing finally killing off craftsmanship, but it was in the gap before technology caught up enough to replace craftsmanship as it has now.

Fender were not alone, just think back to AMF-era Harley-Davidson or British Leyland.

It was a global and relatively brief hiccup in manufacturing quality, but thinking that those Austin Allegro-type Strats will magically improve because the wood molecules will eventually wiggle into line from string vibrations is well, frankly wishful at best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    I realise we're looking for objective effects here, but, my experience is that it's a mistake to overlook the subjective/psychological side of things with something as, well, intimate as the connection between a musician and a musical instrument.

I'm in no doubt that if an instrument feels good, and makes me feel good *I* play better and sound better (not the instrument, me), and nice old instruments (sometimes just plain *interesting* instruments) feel good, engage me, put me into a particular frame of mind, and make me feel good in a way that new ones (usually) don't.

Or, to put it another way Mojo is alive and well and living in Essex... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    p90fool said:
    thinking that those Austin Allegro-type Strats will magically improve because the wood molecules will eventually wiggle into line from string vibrations is well, frankly wishful at best.
    I've said this many times before I know, but the wood in them is good - it's the fit, finish and hardware that kills them. Strip one down to the actual wood and rebuild it properly and you can make good guitars out of them - admittedly while "ruining" the "value", which to me is stupid but is a fact of the market.

I found that out years ago when I acquired a late-70s Strat in a poor state and did that to it - before they were "valuable" though... at the time it made little difference, but today I'd have thrown away at least £500.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I know he is being paid by Fender - but here's Eric Johnson saying the 56 reissue is as good as his 57 original.

My problem with the modern American Standard guitar is not that it's new, but that they changed the nut width and string spacing so the neck feels completely different to an old style Fender.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The Gibsons and Epiphones (from the same factory) I picked up in second hand guitar shops when I was a kid were consistently great instruments.
    Er......That is how the reputation came about.  (No Internet)

Modern instruments are uniformly consistent. That is a good thing. I don't think it is the same thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523

ICBM said:
    I've said this many times before I know, but the wood in them is good - it's the fit, finish and hardware that kills them.
    I totally agree, and proper body contouring would probably lighten them enough to sound good too once the hardware has been binned.

Although I hated new Fenders when I started gigging, there still is for me a kind of Fullerton heritage in those guitars which gives them potential, which may or may not be psychological.

Even at their absolute nadir in the late 70s they still had the same old geezer winding what were essentially Broadcaster pickups at the same bench he always had, but they weren't installed in Teles, they were only used for lap steels. Once it's gone, it's gone, as they say.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Why has nobody posted this yet: 

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    To answer the original question.

No.

Despite the oft repeated bullshit, just because a guitar becomes old it does not magically turn into a brilliant instrument.

Those shitty Teisco things from the 70s are just as awful as they were back in the day.

I've played a very famous late 1950s Les Paul that recently sold for more money than sense. I can tell you it is not a "great" guitar - its OK, don't get me wrong, but its not as magnificent as the BS in the press and online - but it has been played by great players. Does that give it 'mojo'? Does that make you play differently? Does it sound better than an R8 or R9? .... er that will be a no on all counts. You'll just have to believe me on that...

I had a 1965 Strat that I spent every penny I didn't have to buy - because it was a 65 Strat and it did look cool (Daphne/Sonic blue). But in truth the 1993 Strat Standard I had in the shop I worked in was better than it in every measurable way. So I sold it and bought the '93. 

Just because a guitar is old, it is not necessarily 'better'.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Q: What does the term Golden Era mean when applied to Ferrari....or Gibson....or other brands?

A: "Yeah - That's a tough one.
    Possibly...... that they were "rather good?"

• I agree, that just because a guitar is old doesn't automatically mean it's good. Every major brand has periods where they make better than average products and periods where they make poor products, it's just a fact of modern production. Inside both these periods you still find gems and turds.

Personally I think that the overall quality of guitar production has steadily increased from mid 1990's on-wards, meaning that most off the shelf guitars you buy now are made to better than acceptable standard. I think guitars from any period before this were much more hit and miss unless professionally hand crafted..

I can't remember the last time I picked up an off the shelf Fender and thought what a load of rubbish, nearly all feel nice and play well now and even those that don't often just need a setup.

I wonder if Internet shopping and blind buying has increased pressure on stores/manufacturers to increase the average of well made instruments too? Not to mention that the range of brands and availability is in now huge!!

Doesn't mean to say though that a 1960's guitar won't be the most amazing thing you ever played - but if I had that amount of money to spend, I would be getting something hand made to my spec instead and I'm pretty sure it would be awesome.

I must also qualify my opinion by saying I've only played 2 60's era guitars, but never owned any.