Distance between pickup and string

What's Hot
This has probably been mentioned before but is there an optimum distance between the pickup and string? I know you shouldn't get too close but what does that mean in real terms ?
Many thanks in advance.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    i would image it would be what sounds best for that particular guitar .. but there might well be a formula out there so i'll shut the fak up
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Des is right.

The distance will vary from guitar-guitar and pickup to pickup.

For example, on my Jackson, the bridge pickup is quite close, yet the neck close to the body. The bridge is quite focused, the neck, a lot less so. Both have their uses.

With singles if the pickup is too close to the strings, you can often get "wolf" note nastyness.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited February 2015
    The optimum is whatever sounds best - some people prefer it lower than others.

Some notes:

- Further away the pickups will put out a less loud signal, will have less low end, and may sound 'sweeter'.  Too low and they could sound weak and muddy.

- Closer the pickups will put out a louder signal, have more low end, and will sound more bold/forwards.  Going a bit too high and it could sound harsh, compressed, and when very high the magnets can interfere with the oscillation of the string (especially single coils).

- Relative heights of pickups can really affect the in between sounds.

When measuring pickup height the way to do it is to hold the string down at the last fret and measure.  

The only way to find out what is optimum for your own set up is to try various heights and see what you prefer.  

I'd recommend counting the turns/fractions of turns on the screw and noting it down so you can get back to where you were if needs be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • there are recommended distances. For example, Fender recommend 3mm distance on bass side from string, 2mm treble side, based upon you fretting at the highest note / last fret. Like everything though, a large part of it must be subjective. (That only goes so far obviously, pick ups are magnets after all)
  • Sorry, on a telecaster. My mind is elsewhere!
  • I think the strat is similar. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Mine are about 5mm and 4 mm respectively at the mo. 
  • No, fretted it's about 4mm and 3mm (this is on a strat)
  • cant think that'll make too much difference then mate.
  • I raised the action the other day and reduced the pickups so maybe i was bit close before.
  • GavHaus said:
    Sorry, on a telecaster. My mind is elsewhere!

Yeah there are recommended heights but they're basically guidelines in the same way the action height and truss rod relief are guidelines.  With setting up a guitar I usually start off at the manufacturer's recommended measurements and then do the final tweaks myself (I know some more experienced and much higher skilled members don't even measure anything but I'm not as good as they are!).

But with pickups I prefer to start with the height of my primary pickup (for me always the bridge) and get that sounding good, then adjust the other pickups as per my priority for using the guitar.

For example: what I do on telecasters is set the bridge pickup to where it sounds good, then put it in the middle position and set the neck height where it makes the in between position sounds good.  Then I just live with whatever the neck position sounds like because I'd hardly ever use it on a Telecaster.

On dual humbucker guitars I tend to get the bridge pickup sounding good then try to get the neck pickup to balance for volume, as I don't use the middle position much on a dual humbucker guitar.

Strats are a bit more tricky to get all 5 positions sounding good, just requires a bit of experimentation.  A lot of people screw the middle pickup right down because it stops them hitting it with their plectrum but affects the 2+4 positions quite a lot.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited February 2015
    This is the Fender guide.  Useful for a starting point - just tweak to taste.  (I generally have the neck and middle a pinch lower and work of 3mm bass side, 2mm treble side.) 

last fret depressed.
    Bass side then treble side:
    Texas Specials 8/64" 6/64"
    Vintage style 6/64" 5/64"
    Noiseless Series 8/64" 6/64"
    Standard Single-Coil 5/64" 4/64"
    Humbuckings 4/64" 4/64"

This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • On a good day, with the wind in the right direction I'd start with the bridge pick up. Too close and you get wolf tones or clacks ( heavy damping technique bringing the string into contact with the pick up). Then middle and neck ( depending on the guitar) to balance with that. Neck pick ups are generally louder ( or they are if you have an unbalanced set) so if you start at that end you can run out of room for manoeuvre by the bridge pup.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i always lower mine...when ever i get it back from a tech, the pickups are pressed up to the strings i guess to the formula or what they think sounds best, but i really dislike the high end and attack that comes with pickups being close to strings.

I have no idea what my distance is, every guitar is different as the pickups determine how close i get them.

Thats on the brige...for the neck...i almost always take the pick up far enough down that its flush with the pickup ring. Which i'm guessing most people dont do...but i only use neck pick up for clean parts and i like the a more deeper bassy sound...plus the magnets are so far away that it doesnt impact how much vibrations make it to the bridge pickup.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I concentrate less on absolute measurements and more on what sounds best for you.
    I like to get a nice balance between each setting on the selector switch. I also like my pups a bit lower than recommended, it gives me a sweeter less aggressive sound to my ears.
  • Even with guide distances ---- is that from the top of the pickup cover, or from the magnet tops.  With staggered height pole pieces that caused even more confusion.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Bottom of the string to top of the pole.  Measure the bottom and top E - the staggering is to make up for differences in the string and this compensation so should even out the perceived output.  If that makes sense.  
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    I'm a big fan of experimenting with a good old screwdriver. I wouldn't diss the pucker manufacturers measurements but I feel I just don't need them.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 831
    edited February 2015
    Measured my strats - though not done the rest of my guitars.  I found that my bridge PU was almost exactly 3mm at the bass end, while the neck and middle were slightly less.  On the treble side the neck and middle were almost exactly 2mm with the bridge being more - so I wasnt far from spec'd distances as it was (all dont by ear).  I have dropped the mid/neck bass side and raised the bridge trebble side though - just a nats.

My Tele PUs seem closer to the eye - especially the neck- but they are Kinman PUs (changing them soon I think as I no longer need the hum cancelling) - so are supposed to be closer than standard PUs.