Living with a Gibson Melodymaker (review)

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10369
edited February 2015 in Guitar tFB Trader
Many here will know that a little while ago I scored a little pawn shop bargain (well a Stash Perverters one actually) in the shape of a Gibson 2011 Melodymaker Explorer.

Well I have been living with it for a few months now and seeing as these are about the most affordable US guitar about I thought I give it a bit of a review. 

This is one of the 'baked maple' fingerboard beasties from Gibson's 'whoops we lost our wood' period ... and many have pontificated over the feel or look. Well the fretwork on this example is immaculate, and the fingerboard feels gorgeous and looks fine as well. I have no issues with maple ... it's colour may change over time ... but I can't say I'm too bothered about that ... it is 'good to the fingers' so it works in my book.

Again, some people have commented that the explorer Melodymaker feels a bit toy-like in the hands. It is around 4/5 full explorer size ... but I actually see that as a plus point ... it's slim maple body (mahogany neck) tucks in nicely and balances perfectly. The headstock will be a Marmite thing, being a slimmed down flying V  type ... but the three on a plate machines are smooth and do their job perfectly. 

The finish on the neck and body is absolutely minimal ... just a 'blow over' really, and it chips, dings and wears really easily. It actually again 'feels' really nice in the hands ... so I don't mind getting a guitar that will relic quickly. The plus side is that as it's real nitro, wear looks cool.

Unplugged it is incredibly loud and resonant, perhaps due in part to that cool, non intonated, wrap-over bridge. I may fit an adjustable intonation bridge at some point .... but this little guitar is pretty bloody well in tune on the whole!
So how does it sound 'stock'? Well it is fitted with a Duncan Distortion as standard ... not a subtle pickup ... but one I suppose is pretty well suited to the intended customer for a pointy, overtly 'metal' guitar. The slightly mid-range bias of the Duncan goes with the crisp top end provided by the maple body/fingerboard ... but is to my ears a little one dimensional. Great 'balls to the wall' but not as cool when  the volume is backed off a little. Acceptable ... but I wouldn't be a pickup maker if I didn't think I could do better. 
Enter one of my ASL Eruptions ... in a semi transparent red finish!

The Eruption is wound (as you might have guessed) to simulate that famous 'brown sound' pickup. It has a massive coil offset, giving almost single coil sparkle with a big, meaty authoritative mid-range and a tight bass. ..there are some definite trade secrets about this wind too ;-) 
While I was changing pickups I was pleased to notice how well the cavity had been shielded ... and that the pot and jack were top quality products.

So fitted with the Eruption the Explorer is a different beast entirely ... far more 'classic rock' with a huge but very harmonically rich sound.
It's light, comfortable ... and now toneful ... and it was a whisker under £200 FOR A US MADE GIBSON
It's now usable for blues, classic rock and yes, even metal still ...
Yes It's turning out to be one of my go to instruments!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

thats cool Ash...those are amazing quality for that price. My SG has baked maple board as well...i dont get the big deal about it...it feels fine and looks fine too.

Distortion pickup?...is that stock or did the previous owner put that in??

I'm sure the eruption sounds better anyway...i also like the red!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Sweet, Ash. Get a mirror pickguard on it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10369
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    Interestingly the Melodymaker Explorer came as stock with a Duncan rather than a Gibson pickup ... as did the Flying V version. The LP and SG shaped ones were fitted with a standard Gibson unit.
    PS if anyone is after a Duncan Distortion I will be putting it in the classifieds shortly ... along with some other interesting pickups.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

tFB Trader
    Loobs said:
    Sweet, Ash. Get a mirror pickguard on it.
    You read my mind!!!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    edited February 2015

Ahh, this is the beasty you told me about last week. I still really fancy the Flying V in white but they seem to be like hens teeth, sure one will turn up at some point. Just fitted the Blitz Spirit I ordered to my normal shaped Melody Maker and it sounds great.

I love the Melody Makers, they are great players, nice and light and you can always find space in a band mix with one. Just started modding a 59 Reissue so we'll need to have a chat at some point about a hotter Mighty Ninety P90 ;)

• That looks awesome!

So, er... I might need one of those pickups sometime. What other cool colours can you do?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I really fancied one of these on eBay back last year myself.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    So is this a similar size to an explorer pro or is it even smaller than that.   The explroer pro's make a lot of sense comapred to a full size version
  • Yeh i fancy the sg version, the prices seem to be creeping up for mm's at the mo.
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    So is this a similar size to an explorer pro or is it even smaller than that.   The explroer pro's make a lot of sense comapred to a full size version
    I believe it's the same size as the Explorer Pro ... but the body is thinner as it's maple.
    That looks awesome! 

So, er... I might need one of those pickups sometime. What other cool colours can you do?

That looks awesome!

Blue, pink, possibly green and yellow shortly