Suggestions on learning material

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
edited February 2015 in Theory

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on some goods books/dvd's/websites that I can use to improve my playing. Not sure if this should be in the theory or technique section, so I've posted in both! Mods please feel free to remove from wrong forum if it's causing an issue.

I'm self-taught, and been playing for around 20 years now (god, really???) and I've never had a proper lesson at all. I learned using guitar tab, and I've muddled my way through various bands with this and playing by ear.

I'm eventually starting to learn the notes on the fretboard, but I don't know any scales etc.

So I'm looking for something that isn't too "beginner" I guess, but happy to put the leg-work in on some simpler stuff that will ultimately make me a better and more knowledgeable player

What can you all recommend?

Cheers

Keir 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited February 2015
    Hi Keir

give us a clue - what do you want to learn?  I'm a bit intermediate to advanced player at some stuff but with huge gaps and i have found it best to focus on small bits and take 6 months or so as it seems to take a lot of effort to get relatively small gains but then I notice a bit of a step change after a while 

if it is the notes on the fretboard and stuff like that then there is an excellent lick library DVD
    if it is tremolo bar action then mike casswell does good stuff
    if it is sequencing and scalar patterns/areggios then there are books to do this
    what about funk playing - then the ross bolton vids might be a good place to start

or if it is general why not run through justin guitar website as a refresher - beginner to intermediate and work on general stuff
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    or have a look at the truefire website - their truefire tv which is available for about £10 a month allows you access to loads of courses.  

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
      Maybe try lick library fretboard navigator volumes 1 and 2 dvd. Try them for learning scales,chords,includes modes, pentatonic scales etc. How to learn the caged system,how to build chords using the caged system. Jamie Humphries is the tutor. 

• I play fairly simple indie/alternative/rock in my band. Essentially I want to learn a bit of theory, scales and notes on the fretboard. I'd love to be able to just know where to go on the frets if we're playing a song in E, D, C and just layer my lead guitar over the top without having to think much about where I need to go.

I've got a basic idea, but I end up guessing for a while until I figure it all out, so it sometimes takes me longer than I'd prefer to come up with a good, solid lead riff/lick.

I'd also like my fingers/speed to become more fluent and faster, and previous advice given to me was to make sure I knew scales/notes etc inside out, which would help in this department.

But as I'm self taught, I don't mind at all going back to some basics. I know I've missed/skipped a ton of probably essential info because I was too excited to get into a band and get playing.

Learn the pentatonic scale in all 5 positions!. This will help with playing over everything without too much thought.
    Try stetina speed mechanics may help with your speed.book.
    imo you will get results quickly if you nail the pentatonic scale. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So, where do I go to learn this/get the info? Book,website,DVD??
    pentatonic scale you could try justinguitar.com for free lessons.
    youtube should have some pentatonic lessons etc. Take one shape at a time. 
    each shape has 5 notes. 
    C major pentatonic CDEGA. all the 5 shapes are just these 5 notes in different positions on the neck. You could learn the shape and the note name.
    A minor pentatonic. The same shape starting on a different note. ACDEGA. (Am is the relative minor scale of C major) Each major has a relative minor. 
    In the Cmajor key you have 3 major C F G AND 3 Minor .Dm Em Am . The minor are relative to the major.(6th)
    ie  C =Am
         F=Dm
         G=Em
    When you use the pentatonic scale you are using only 5 notes of the major scale. I refer to them as safe notes.
    Fretboard navigator volume 2 deals with the major scale which is the same thing with the 2 notes included. (lick library)
    Someone may put some diagrams up here for you.

• How do you know/learn that the C major scale has 3 major and 3 minor notes? To me they are just C,F,G,D,E,A? How do you know that they are either major or minor?  

• The notes in the scale itself are not Major or Minor as such, though the 3rd and 7th can be referred to as the Major 3rd and Major 7th (these notes are flattened and therefore can be spoken of as Minor in a Minor Scale) , it's more to do with the basic chords that you build off each note. This is know as Diatonic Harmony.

The sequence of basic chords for any Major Scale is the same.

So for the chords built on the C Major Scale, it is C Major, D Minor, E Minor, F Major, G Major, A Minor, B Diminished.

If you make them into 7th chords, then it is C Major 7th, D Minor 7th, E Minor 7th, F Major 7th, G Dominent 7th, A Minor 7th, and

B Minor 7b5 (B half Diminshed).

How do you know/learn that the C major scale has 3 major and 3 minor notes? To me they are just C,F,G,D,E,A? How do you know that they are either major or minor?  

You could look into how to construct diatonic triads from the c major scale.
    Maybe google will direct you. If you look at the theory section on Ibreathemusic.com you will find lots of theory lessons.
    Take it a step at a time. 

• fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    I would concentrate in two sources:

- Lick Library

- Justin Sandercoe

IMO you shouldn't look at too may different sources or you'll loose focus.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222

How do you know/learn that the C major scale has 3 major and 3 minor notes? To me they are just C,F,G,D,E,A? How do you know that they are either major or minor?  

Keir, you've got two threads on this, one in technique, and one in theory, if you check the other thread, I've provided a video that will help you with this exact question. I'm sure it'll clear up some of your confusion.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    edited February 2015
    I've been through a lot of the Lick Library, justinguitar, Truefire route.... and its all good, but I think in terms of learning soloing theory, a good book or two might be better.  At the moment I have three on the go:

1. The CAGED System and 100 Licks for Blues Guitar by Joseph Alexander (teaches different scales alongside blues licks to use with each scale).
    2. The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar - Book 1: Rhythm by Joseph Alexander (learn chord progressions and different rhythms).
    3. Chord Tone Soloing by Barrett Tagliarino (major scales, intervals, arpeggios, and playing deliberately to hit the right notes at the right time for maximum effect).

Obviously two of those are blues based, but certainly applicable to any style.

Progress is slow but I'm constantly moving forward with each one, and they all feed into each other, which adds up to a noticeable difference each week.  I think maybe working from one book, doing 45-60 mins practice sessions can feel disheartening, as you really need months at least for the concepts to sink in.

I find using a looper pedal to record the parts from the rhythm guide, then applying what I've learnt from the other books by soloing over it is great fun, and you can really hear yourself improving - and importantly you understand why it sounds good.