Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebay advice request - ultra-quiet buyer [sorted]

What's Hot
TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
edited February 2015 in Guitar
The Ibby I put in the classifieds didn't sell, so I revised my expectations downwards (I'd obviously over-priced it, my apologies) and put it on the bay.

The auction ended last Tuesday night.

I sent the buyer a couple of messages, but he took a few days to get in touch, eventually paying by paypal, with a request to tell him when I'd be available for him to come and pick it up. He suggested Sunday or this Thursday or Friday. I replied that I couldn't do Sunday, as I was working (true), but he was welcome to come anytime during the day on Thursday or Friday, or on Thursday evening as I can't do this Friday evening.

That was last Friday.

Not heard a peep since, despite a prompt.

How long do I leave it before I write him off and refund his paypal payment? Am I being too impatient? Should I wait another couple of days? A week? Longer?

(He may yet get back in touch, in which case fair enough, but I'm not holding my breath...)

Any advice welcome, please, thank you.
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    It's been a while now, if it was me I'd message him and tell him that I was going to refund the payment if he didn't get back in touch by the weekend.

I know people can have issues but to be honest in this day and age you can get to a computer and check your eBay pretty easily, I find it rude when people aren't fairly prompt in replies. 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Refund his payment NOW and/or insist that you will not accept a pickup. That's the way to open yourself up to a chargeback scam.

ONLY ship via a trackable, signed-for courier service or you're not covered by any sort of Paypal protection.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit of a risk to accept paypal, and then let the buyer collect ?

• DanchiDanchi Frets: 25

Bit of a risk to accept paypal, and then let the buyer collect ?

Why is it? I don't really use Ebay (to sell) so i'm not aware of the scams, etc...
  • I hear what you're saying, gents, but he's got 100% positive feedback from 277 transactions, and the paypal address matches his ebay address, so I took the (obviously risky) assumption that I should be fine.

I'm just getting a bit fed up of being a storage facility, so if I don't hear by tonight I'll dump him.

Ta for the advice.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited February 2015
    Danchi said:

Why is it? I don't really use Ebay (to sell) so i'm not aware of the scams, etc...

Unless the seller can prove delivery, the buyer can make a chargeback via paypal.

Edit : ICBM beat me to it.

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    People have been known to pay by Paypal, pick up the item and then claim that it was never received to get their money back. As it was a collection there's no evidence that it was sent to them.

I only ever accept cash for collection only items.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Danchi said:

Yes, tis definitely a risk. If they pay by paypal, collect and later claim they never received it, the only proof paypal accept is proof of delivery - a copy of the signature from the courier/post office. Even if you get them to sign a receipt in person and do a selfie with seller, buyer and guitar they won't accept it as proof of collection. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danchi said:

Because they can then claim to eBay that they never got the guitar.

Since you have no proof that you sent it (you need to arrange a proper tracked service yourself to be covered) then eBay will side with the buyer and force a refund.

It is quite rare for it to happen, but it could.  
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    hobbio said:
    People have been known to pay by Paypal, pick up the item and then claim that it was never received to get their money back. As it was a collection there's no evidence that it was sent to them.

Yup, I got hit by this with a pedal I sold last year.  Lovely chap, came round, we chatted for ages about gear, etc, and he seemed totally happy with it.

Then the Paypal transaction was reversed as he claimed he never received it.  Nothing I could do!

Always cash for anything which gets collected now, I'd rather not sell than take Paypal for that sort of thing.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    Ah, ok!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Fuzzdog said:
    hobbio said:

Yup, I got hit by this with a pedal I sold last year.  Lovely chap, came round, we chatted for ages about gear, etc, and he seemed totally happy with it.

Then the Paypal transaction was reversed as he claimed he never received it.  Nothing I could do!

What an absolute bastard!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    Fuzzdog said:
    hobbio said:

Indeed - what a complete shit
  • I can see all of this, and I fully understand everyone's reluctance for what are now obvious reasons (I genuinely didn't know that paypal don't accept anything other than a courier's receipt until now). It's my own fault though because he offered me the choice of paypal or cash on collection, and I chose paypal because I wanted to make other transactions and I thought it would save me the hassle of having to drive 10 miles to the bank to put the cash in blah blah blah.

Tbh, I wasn't expecting any of this, I just thought the guy was being a div for having taken so long to work up the energy to check his email, and all I expected was advice about time wasters.

However, according to ebay he's read my prompt, so unless I get a response in the next couple of hours, he's gone.

• usedtobe said:
    Fuzzdog said:
    hobbio said:

Thirded.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    Ah yeah I'm no massive seller but do what ^^^^ they've said!! I'd only do cash on collection on eBay anyway, thus circumventing fees.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440

usedtobe said:
    Fuzzdog said:
    hobbio said:

Thirded.
    Surely that should be turded.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    ICBM;525490" said:
    Refund his payment NOW and/or insist that you will not accept a pickup. That's the way to open yourself up to a chargeback scam.

ONLY ship via a trackable, signed-for courier service or you're not covered by any sort of Paypal protection.
    ICBM is right, ONLY accept cash on collection if it's a cash deal, if you're using PayPal you need a signed for delivery service. Otherwise the buyer can claim they never received the item and PayPal will side with the buyer and you'll lose your money.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    strtdv said:
    ICBM is right, ONLY accept cash on collection if it's a cash deal, if you're using PayPal you need a signed for delivery service. Otherwise the buyer can claim they never received the item and PayPal will side with the buyer and you'll lose your money.

Please give the others credit for being right as well :).

To be honest, if this buyer did offer cash on collection originally the risk is probably low. But it is real.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    you can refund the paypal and ask him to bring cash
    I did this as a buyer once, 
    the seller saves some paypal fees too, which has to be a good thing