Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lightweight, giggable tube combo?

What's Hot
mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
Any thoughts on this? A single-channel valve combo, loud enough for small gigs (corner of pub etc), but weighs under 8kg. Does such a thing exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Fender Champ.

Loud enough for small gigs if you don't mind having no clean headroom and can mic it.

Unlikely you'll find anything lighter and louder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    The Laney Cub 10 is just over 8kg, the Fender Pro Junior and H&K Tubemeister 18 are both around 9kg, so almost within the weight limit. If it doesn't have to be valve, there's the ZT Lunchbox.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Blues or Pro Junior
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    edited February 2015
    ^ what 'ee said.

Princeton and DRRI too

Or buy @thorpy6 's UNBELIEVABLE Cornell Plexi in the emporium. Those are utterly the bomb.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    DR is a bit heavy innit?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    My Bogner Mojado...ahem...for sale
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I have been using an orange tiny terror combo in the studio recently. Switchable 7 - 15 watts with speaker out options.
    I run it at 15 watts with the gain and volume around half way, it keeps up with the other guitarist bassist drummer and keys no problem.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I have a Laney Cub 10 which I've been getting round to shifting. Upgraded the speaker to a Jensen Mod 10-70. Let me know if you fancy it.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    Loobs said:
    DR is a bit heavy innit?

Yeah maybe....I still say the Plexi is the one

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    Princeton, not sure if it's quite as light as you've said but it's well worth it.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • what does the bugera V22 weigh?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    Does it absolutely have to be tube? Just wondering if a hybrid could be sufficiently 'tubey' for you without weighing too much.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • LewliganLewligan Frets: 543
    Loobs said:
    Blues or Pro Junior
    I'll second this.

A good mate of mine gigs regularly with his Blues Jr.
    Lotta volume for such a small amp.
    Check out my Fretboard Trading Feedback HERE!
  • Blues Junior or Evil Robot.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited February 2015
    This really ought to be in the Amp section.  But:

Valve amp: I second the Laney Cub - cracking little amps.  However, although it's a little heavier at 11.5Kg, I'd recommend the Cub12R (which I have) At 15w it's louder and with its 12" speaker has a bigger sound with more headroom.  It's also well featured with a decent digital reverb, serial FX loop, 8/16 Ohm extn cab out, and a built in tilt stand.

But for light weight, a modelling amp such as a Vox Valvetronix or Fender Mustang are hard to beat in terms of tone quality, volume, versatility & flexibility.  Because effects are built in you can save weight because you don't need external pedals, and its convenient.

The Vox VT40+ is 10.9Kg (10" speaker); the VT20+ is 8.8Kg (8" speaker).
    The 20w Fender Mustang 1 (8" speaker) is 7.7Kg; Mustang II, 40w weighs 10.9Kg (12" speaker). 

One compromise you need to think about is weight vs speaker size.  An 8" speaker is actually fine for small club gigs, but you won't get as full a tone and the bigger bottom end you get from a bigger speaker.  Also, the size of the cab is important - a smaller speaker in a bigger cab can sometimes sound better than a bigger speaker in a smaller cab.  However, all the amps mentioned here are designed to be compact/portable so none of these have particularly big cabs anyway.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited February 2015
    Voxman said:
    The cmpromise you need to think about isweight vs speaker size.  An 8" speaker is actually fine for small club gigs, but you won't get as full a tone and the bigger bottom you get from a bigger speaker.  Also, the size of the cab is important - a smaller speaker in a bigger cab can sometimes sound better than a bigger speaker in a smaller cab.  However, all the amps mentioned are designed to be compact/portable so none of these have particularly big cabs anyway.
    It's probably also worth going for the highest quality amp you can find - a surprising amount of the weight is in the cabinet, not the transformers or the speaker as you might expect, and ply or solid pine is lighter than MDF or particle-board so a cheap amp will be heavier than it should otherwise be possible to make one of the same size and power.

8Kg is *really* light for a giggable amp though - almost all the amps mentioned so far are over that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited February 2015
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • 8kg is not gonna happen for a combo.if you can go to 15ish you're looking at Riveras, Princetons, VC15s etc
    I tend to agree with you. I was going to post thus: "lightweight + valve combo = oxymoron" but left it till now ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    8kg is not gonna happen for a combo.if you can go to 15ish you're looking at Riveras, Princetons, VC15s etc
    I tend to agree with you. I was going to post thus: "lightweight + valve combo = oxymoron" but left it till now …
    Not quite, but lightweight + valve combo + more than about 5-6W with more than an 8" or neodymium 10" speaker is likely to be.

The Fender Champ - any version from Tweed to Silverface - is definitely giggable as long as you don't want loud cleans, can mic up, and is under (or dead on, depending on model) 8Kg. I gigged with a Tweed Champ for a while - which might surprise anyone who is familiar ;) with my love of the 100W, 100lb amp I use now, but it was a completely different type of band.

Anything with a similar spec should be as well.