dodgy sellers etc.

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
I was reading a post here about a seller not following through on a deal after they have the money.

I belong to a watch forum and on there you have to have a number of posts or coments to view the classified section. And a number of posts or comments to sell on it. (And you can't just do 50 posts in one day) it's wing let you. So you do have to get involved a bit. I used to stay quite, worried I didn't have anything to say. But I enjoyed getting involved.

Does stop people just coming on to make money or rip people off.

Just a thought I'm new here myself. So if this happened I probably couldn't see the section :)

I'll shut up now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It's different here - you can see the classifieds from the off, and generally we like to keep it that way. Obviously it is better if people join in the wider forum though :)

There have been a few bad episodes, but if you check out the Good Traders thread Here you'll see there have been thousands of good ones with no bother. It's safe enough - just keep your peepers open and all that :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry missed the link - Good traders

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I've enjoyed my time here. And bought 5 or 6 pedals no problem. We have a hero's and villains section as well. Just a thought. I've always believed if a deel is too good to be true or the seller won't put efforts into a post or answer a message just pass on it.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Im pretty sure the fountain pen forum im on has a similar rule too
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There's a fountain pen forum?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe said:
    If a thing exists, it has a forum somewhere.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I first joined music radar to buy and sell, my first sale on there was a squier jagmaster that I sold. With no previous posts. I struck a deal with the guy where he paid me half up front. And then half when he received the guitar. I think if you're a legitimate seller, you'll be willing to perhaps consider an approach like this. As we saw in the thread discussing the skullduggery that's occured. You'll be shot down pretty quickly. If you start trying to defraud people whether you're buying or selling.
    Of you can collect it. Grown men will want a forum about it. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    usedtobe;528013" said:
    Yeah, its called penisland.com

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobe;528013" said:
    What's wrong with fountain pens? As well as having too many guitars and a nice watch, I love my Montblancs as well...
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    Some other forums im on ask that users have a dated note with there screen/user name present alongside the items for sale pictures to prove they own it,this stops scamming scum from randomly picking off goggle pics for there false ad's

Granted it wont stop out and out scammers (not a lot will) but might stop the drive by's
  • I probably wont pounce on a good deal if the person has just signed up and has no comments, frets etc. but if i'm not sure then the good trades list is a good place to start, and of course looking at previous posts and discussions on the forum. I particularly like seeing the evolution of:

NGD: Fancy guitar
    Pickups advice: I want some new pickups liven up my Fancy guitar since i'm not using it
    FS/FT: Fancy guitar
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited February 2015
    In any dealings when selling a secondhand item to another party especially unseen and via mail order, things go wrong. I know it's happened to me (received things that aren't quite what I was expecting / lost or damaged in transit) and I'm sure it's happened to folks I've sold stuff to.

The difference is how you deal with it. If you are polite and respectful (of both sides) an amicable solution is always going to be reached. If you act like a cunt (on either side) then frankly, you don't deserve to be treated well.

I've been ripped off to the tune of £400 on a deal with a guy in Devon or Wellingborough depending on the story he was telling that day. I got the money back because I kept the evidence trail, I was polite and I didn't resort to threats, pitchforks or any other silliness.

I'm slightly concerned about the other thread elsewhere on this forum where an alleged serial scammer has been threatened, potentially by a member of this forum. That was a very silly thing to do as this could now jeopardise the potential to hold this alleged thief accountable.

It also could have ramifications for this forum - I'm also a classic car nut (and ex-editor of a classic car mag). A number of years ago, certain allegations were made on the Volvo Owners Club forum by members who felt aggrieved by the actions of a company supplying services. Because of the way this was handled (and in this case badly moderated) a counter-threat was made by the company involved and lawyers were called in. As a result, the Volvo Owners club had no alternative but to close their discussion forum because as they 'owned' it, they were liable... The case never went to court but was settled outside. The fact remains that the company that were alleged to have been 'poor' were never held accountable for their actions, so everyone lost.

What I'm saying is, yes it's totally right to have huge depth of feeling and to provide support to those who have been badly treated. But be careful what you write or do in support of that - two wrongs never make a right.

I just hope that those who are out of pocket get their money back - legally - and if there is genuine wrong-doing at play, those who perpetrated that are brought to justice.

Peace y'all.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe;528013" said:
    What's wrong with fountain pens? As well as having too many guitars and a nice watch, I love my Montblancs as well...
    Nothing. I own a fountain pen - 't were me dad's - It's just the idea of a fountain pen forum... 

But, as someone said - if it exists - there'll be a forum about it.. I take it a montblanc is a fountain pen..??
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

Think the @impmann is bang on with this. It's great to know that the chaps on here have your back when stuff like this happens (and amazingly rarely is it more than bad comms), but there is no point getting yourself or the forum in trouble by going OTT. 

I've been speaking to (I hope what is) all of the guys affected by the photographer chap, and I must admit I can't see that if there were any threats made it was by any of them, so I'm not sure where it would have come from anyway. But we're in contact with the seller now and promises of refunds have been made, so fingers crossed we'll get things straight now.

The warming thing is that it does prove to be quite a warning that moodiness won't be tolerated on here, but Tim is right that we have to make sure we stay on the right side of the line.

Peace indeedy doo.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2015
    I am starting to think that the forum has got this right.
    Would we want to force new forum members to "chat" just so that they can post in the classifieds?
    Maybe it is better if they don't do that.
    Maybe it is better that we can see that they have no desire to chat?

They will never have a minor tiff with Drew.
    They will never comment on a NGD thread started by a proud new owner.
    They will never post in Speakers Corner.
    They will never give or receive wisdom.
    They will never tell us that they are depressed.
    They will never tell us that they are happy.
    They will never tell us that they are sick.
    They will never tell us about the exploits of their loved ones.

I think that guitars can have "Mojo". Yes - I know that is controversial. What does it mean? Could it mean that the guitar reveals the personality of the previous owner? Is that what "Mojo" is??
    What kind of personality would have no Mojo? No Opinions. No Empathy. Nothing  Zip.     
    >:D<

• NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    markblack said:

I belong to a watch forum and on there you have to have a number of posts or coments to view the classified section. And a number of posts or comments to sell on it. (And you can't just do 50 posts in one day) it's wing let you. So you do have to get involved a bit. I used to stay quite, worried I didn't have anything to say. But I enjoyed getting involved.

What watch forum @markblack?

I'm on TZ-UK, the best British one.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Given his history of lying it is possible he's made up the threat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @Neil same. Great forum... not on it as much as I need another watch like a hole in the head :)