our promo vid - done as a favour -please critique

nickpnickp Frets: 182
edited March 2015 in Live
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really enjoyed it .....but thought the start  (first  120 secs)  was the weakest bit of the whole 12 mins... I love R n R showcasing not the best backing vox and some dodgy tuning and an extened drum solo which most people won't be  too interested in.....then it gets better and better.and gives a good impression of a very solid good time band. Also I found it a lttle disjointed in places as you chopped and changed the songs...So maybe a little more editing will give you want you're looking for.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    thanks @D28boy.  :)  I'll have a listen for the dodgy tuning - I am quite nervous about the video and have to "force" myself to listen to it.  Agreed about the drum solo so close to the start.

just following up - two chaps who attended our friday gig (which was an absolute storm even if i say it myself) said that they wouldn't book us based on the video :(

it was done by a friend of the singer.  so we had no input over cutting etc.  I thought it was ok.  shows the sort of stuff we do and that we aren't completely shite all of the time
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I'm no expert. But I reckon too much music and much too long. You can suss out how good a band is in less than a minute, there's probably no reason for 1 minute excerpts of songs from the set.

As a musician, I personally enjoy drum solos, but I imagine most people do get quite bored with em, so perhaps 30 seconds of it is too long? The bits where you focus on the guitar solo looks very professional, but again, you'll probably want it much shorter.

If you try to shorten the video to a 3-4min one, keeping only the best bits, I'm sure it'll look a lot sleeker. 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited March 2015
    I have to say, I was shocked at how long the vid was when I checked. You need to shorten it drastically or at least have a shortened version as well as the long one.

Get rid of the shaky cam sections, all the bits that were out of time, all the bits focused on a single instrument. People want to hear the band as a whole. The transitions between songs could have been edited better too (with some kind of fade in/out etc.)

One bit of banter, one really tight song, one nice solo, one contrasting style of song and that should be enough. I think the vocals needs to be brought up to the forefront if possible too.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    You have the words "a tight rockin set" appearing over random indecipherable chit chat within the first 30 secs of the vid...cut it down to the high impact songs imho.

Plus turn the guitars up a little.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    thanks guys :)  it was made by a guy who is a "video chap and film producer"

I'm trying to get my hands on the original material