Gibson Les Paul, Grail hunt.

What's Hot
HysterHyster Frets: 208
I sold a Gibson Les Paul Standard today, It was nice enough but I own an Epiphone that sings more.

I have the cash tucked away from the sale and may well have few quid more to add to the fun fund just shortly.

Now I know I will never own a burst, I know that, but what would get me close? an R9? would I have to push to a one of these collector's choice thing's?

Is there something else I should consider, I know it is subjective but I'd apreciate your thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Personally I really wouldn't worry about the model, and just spends ages visiting shops and trying as many LPs as you can, of every type, until you find one that you really can't leave behind. 

The perfect one is out there somewhere, you just have to look.

Of course it'll be a total pisser if it turns out to be your Epi, mind ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    R9 would be good, or Anderson's current R8 that has a nice flame top I think is good value.

I really like CC choice too but their price varies a lot between models.

There is also a Custom Shop Class 5 and it's a bit in between a Standard to a Historic.

It has Historic hardware.
    It has modern weight relief
    60's slim neck

A cross between 2 worlds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Go with jooky on this one, the one that speaks to you may be a studio or a Sig model you'd never thought of trying, don't limit yourself to a model, play them all.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Or... You could try a PRS Stripped 58 or SC245. I love my Les Pauls, but my Stripped 58 is one sorted guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ....it may even be an Edwards.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    I think the advice of try as many guitars as is possible is the best advice you could be given.

I'd even go as far as to say try a Tele's, try Strats in fact try anything and buy the best guitar you find.

A happy mistake may occur and you find out that you like a different type of guitar more than a LP
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Check out Collings too.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851

In your hunt you really have to play a few customs from 73-74, Fretless Wonder frets on all the ones I've had a go of from this era, unless they've been re-fretted. I've no idea why this fret wire is no longer out there, I've heard so many different stories of it wasn't the wire but the severe dressing they got in the factory, but there was a website out there once upon a time that sold it as NOS wire. Low thin and the most pleasurable guitars I've ever played.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Truly, @jookychap is right. I had a Trad that felt better than my R9. It never had the growl of the R9 though, but for fell, it was superior

@bigbearkris owns it now.

I've played Trads that are superb. I've played dogs of R9's.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    JookyChap said:
    Personally I really wouldn't worry about the model, and just spends ages visiting shops and trying as many LPs as you can, of every type, until you find one that you really can't leave behind. 

The perfect one is out there somewhere, you just have to look.

Of course it'll be a total pisser if it turns out to be your Epi, mind ;)
    . . . though if it is the Epiphone then he's got a couple of grand spare for coke and hookers.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3616
    Perhaps you will just prefer the Epi to any Gibson?

Either way you will have to trawl around trying lots of stuff, no good just ordering sight unseen.
  • How about a replica style? Probett LSM or Yaron r the like?
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Depending where you live, take a trip and play 20 new or recent Historics. Probably R0 or R8. More subtle flame, cheaper, arguably more realistic looking than an R9. One them will be 80% Holy Grail (that ain't bad).

Nothing wrong with the CC models but there is no need to pay CC money for the "same guitar".

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:
    Perhaps you will just prefer the Epi to any Gibson?

Either way you will have to trawl around trying lots of stuff, no good just ordering sight unseen.
    The best playing guitar I have ever owned was an Epiphone LP Custom. I have had many Gibsons through my hands but the white Epi Custom was unbelievable. The guy I sold it to stripped it down to natural wood and it looks fantastic and still plays as well as it ever did.

Advice - Don't allow brand snobbishness to cloud your judgement. Let the sound and feel dictate your choice.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    How about a replica style? Probett LSM or Yaron r the like?
    Anyone tried a Corsa?  They look interesting and not hugely expensive (relative to Gibson Custom prices).

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited February 2015

Philly_Q said:
    Anyone tried a Corsa?  They look interesting and not hugely expensive (relative to Gibson Custom prices).

Dorian Sorriaux (Blues Pills) is seen holding a nice looking P90 Les Paul in the March edition of Guitarist. It turns out to be a Corsa.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPSspfkADk

I think the headstock is critical. Without that it would be in the same category as a Chinese counterfeit guitar. (Price is irrelevant when we are discussing trademarks IMO).

• I am also tentively looking into getting an historic. There are a couple of online stores with new r8 for less than £2500. I don't have a problem paying for a guitar i have not played before if it's considerably cheaper. Any issues send it back. I don't know a lot about these collector editions but there are a few places selling the r9 rosie for less than a normal r9.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    edited February 2015
    @Skipped I was going to mention the guy from Blues Pills, but wasn't sure if anyone would know them.  :D

I don't really like the Corsa headstock, but I could live with it.  I do like the fact he chambers his guitars for light weight!

• jesonejesone Frets: 60
    I've been through many Gibson old classics, standards, R9s, R8's, Yaron, bobburst, Corsa,, edwards, tokai, & some Chibsons too. Never an R0 though. I found that some guitars are just "right" regardless of manufacturer. Whether it's the finish, tone, smell, shape or whatever. It's the sum of all the pieces that matches that jigsaw shaped hole you have in your particular imagination. so I would recommend that you do as many others have said here. Try as many as you possibly can before you buy, or accept that you are on a journey and an expensive one at that.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Saying that I do love a standard, they always seem to have the right balance in both sound and bling.