Advice needed re replacing Gibson parts.

What's Hot

This started off as looking for advice on tuners but I thought I might as well aske about the other bits!

I might be replacing the gold hardware on my LP Studio for nickel (if I don't attempt to remove the gold plating myself) but having never replaced any parts before I'm totally confused. It's a bloody minefield out there!

For instance, my '94 LP Studio tuners have the screw in hex head type bushings while my '08 Fat Neck 335 has the push in type. Are they interchangeable? I'd like Kluson style ones in nickel but feck knows what size or type I need!

Also, the bridges are different (or appear to be) on the two guitars. The LP has threaded bushings pressed into the body which the bridge post/thumbwheel screw into whereas the 335 has seperate posts and thumbwheels.

So basically, I haven't got a fecking clue what I should get for the Lester! It might actually be easier to just try and strip the gold plating off!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited October 2013
    I replaced my chrome hard wear for nickel recently and was also confused.
    So I just rang feline guitars, told them I had a 96 les Paul and wanted tone pros nickel hard wear , and a couple of days later the correct stuff came through the letter box.

• Good idea, if I go for new (was hoping to find some used gear on eBay but looks unlikely) I'll give Feline a shout. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26874
    Huge +1 for the Tonepros Klusons. They do tuners to fit everything and they're the best quality tulip type tuners about. FYI the ones with the nut are 10mm and the ones with the push-in bushing are 8mm. You can get Tonepros ones of either, which is nice.

On the bridge side, the LP studio will have a Nashvillle Bridge (studs screw into metal bushings in the body, whereas your historic 335 will have an ABR-1 (screws go straight into wood). I'd definitely recommend Faber stuff if you're looking to replace that. Contact them direct and they'll give you exactly what you need- they even do conversion studs so you can use an ABR bridge with the Nashville bushes.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Mike. :)
    After posting I wondered if the 335 might have an ABR bridge, it's not a historic model though so not sure if that changes things? 
    Bear with me and I'll post some pics if it helps. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    Put Grovers on instead!
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Your 335 has an ABR and the LP has a Nashville bridge.    The screw in Gibson tuners need a 10mm hole in the headstock, it think the Tonepro Kluson is more like 8mm.  As you'll either need to get oversized bushes for the Kluson's or replacements that have the screw down piece.  Obviously Gibson do those and as @octatnic suggested, modern Grover's will fit the 10mm hole directly. 

The alternative money saving route is to take some Brasso to the gold plate and it will come off remarkably easily, even on the bridge.  Parts will be nickel plated under the gold.  I've successfully "de-blinged" a few Gibson parts this way.

sorry @stickyfiddle should have read your post first!   :\">

• Thanks @ESchap, the Brasso route was my first plan but I wasn't sure how well that would work with threaded parts etc. The worry being if I fucked them up I wouldn't be able to sell them.

edited October 2013

I've "Brasso'd" the gold off Gibson tuners, bridges, stop tails and pickup covers and all were fine.   You're taking off literally microns thickness of gold plate on there so the threads etc. are fine.

The Nashville bridge will take a bit of work as you can't easily get the Saddles out.  Just wrap lots of Brasso wadding around a flat headed screwdriver and you can get the leverage you need to get into the nooks and crannies.  You'll probably be left with a few bits you can't get to, but to be honest they'll never be noticed.  I also found that the exposed nickel dulls down naturally and quickly after the gold has been removed.  

• Well being as I'm skint I might as well give it a go! :D
    I feel more confident about it now though so thanks for that. :)
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    If you're skint go for the brasso. I replaced my chrome Nashville with a faber abr brass saddle replacement and alu tailpiece. Couldn't be happier.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11540
    tFB Trader
    Please feel welcome to bend my ear if you need to find replacement bits.
    We keep all the Tonepros stuff in stock and also a good stock of the Aluminium tailpieces too

We are aiming at getting an e-commerce site going too but it is often worth speaking to someone  in person as often good ideas spring forth when discussing what you are looking for.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Thanks @FelineGuitars, I went down the brasso route in the end which suited the worn in look quite nicely. I do hope to bring my guitars in for a service/setup at some point though, I was very impressed with your fret dress photo blog. :)