QSC K12 PA speakers and PAs in general

GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
edited October 2013 in Live
I've made the mistake of saying I know a little bit about PA systems, so our band has decided that I should take charge of choosing one and being the 'sound man.' GULP! I have been looking online and the QSC range has rave reviews and I've just seen a pair of their K12 1000 watt powered speakers go for just over a grand on eBay. We're a 5 piece punk band and will be playing small to medium venues with bass/snare drums mic'd and an overhead mic for the drums and probably bass and guitars occasionally mic'd too. I understand getting more way wattage than you need, but can anyone recommend a system that they use for the same set up? Mackie, of course is another option, maybe Peavey, but I just wondered what your thoughts are?

Thanks

Al
Never ever bloody anything, ever!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a few friends with the QSC's. They are mighty fine speakers when they work but are notoriously unreliable. The Mackie SRM's are also great but unreliable unless you find the older RCF ones.

If you are in a punk band and drums and bass are going through the PA, you will need at least one sub, preferably two. 12" tops will not handle low end for any length of time at volume without blowing speakers. You don't have to spend a fortune but don't buy cheap either. Ignore wattage to an extent and look at SPL ratings. Thats a more tru indication of volume. You may find a speaker that is 1000w only has a 97db SPL whereas a 600w speaker has 102db.

If you can pick up an old Peavey HiSys rig then you're golden. Bitch to lug around but you will be heard. It will out live most things that have ever been made. I'm currently trialling the new powered version and so far so good but it will be an investment financially! Powered vs passive is up to you. Depends on money, convenience and knowledge. PA is a nightmare but very interesting when you get into it and you can take it as far as you need to.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    QSC are very good sounding but with 12" speakers the bottom end may be lacking if you are planning drums and guitars through it, mainly for the kick drum. Either add one or two active bass units or one active woofer for bass duties.

I would DI the bass and the same applies to this as the kick because they will sound anaemic andlacking bass  definition, so will tend to sound woolly and lack punch.

You may get away with their 15" equipped units if you EQ the kick and bass guitar better.

Have you got monitoring covered too?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

The K series are great if you have the matching Ksubs as well. I use the K12's with 2 Ksubs for corp band work. No problem in venues ranging from 200 to 300 or so odd  people. For the size of the rig it's impressive, not as good as an HK Actor but smaller and lighter and a bit cheaper. 
    Reliability wise I've  never had a problem, but I tend to keep the things with big transient swings (kick, drums,bass etc) high passed, compressed and limited like a record. You can thermal systems like this quite easily if you don't have the processing to keep things under control. 

www.2020studios.co.uk