Need your guidance on acoustics

What's Hot
I've got an acoustic set to play at a wedding and need something with good intonation, feels easy to play (as close to an electric guitar as possible) and be able to plug into the PA.

I'll be doing stuff like Sweet Child O'mine (oh yes the high fiddly bits) and Scar Tissue. As faithful as my old cheapi Epiphone EJ45 is, playing stuff like that on it is really tough.

So what would you recommend?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• When I bought my last acoustic (my only acoustic!) I went to GAK in Brighton and they left me alone in the acoustic room. I played pretty much everything up to £1k and choose a Takemine EF261S WR:

I think I paid about £500 in 2004.

R.
  • You could try an arch top like the Godin 5th avenue.

However, you may be better having a look at the action on the EJ45 - sanding down the saddle and maybe using lighter strings.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2433
    Not popular around these parts, but an Ovation will do that pretty well and won't cost the earth. It's very similar to an electric to play (10" radius fretboard, very low action, quite similar string spacing and a very un-acoustic neck profile), and works will plugged straight into the PA. Sure, it won't give you the tone of a Martin but it will be easy to play and work with the PA.

The other obvious choice depending on budget is a Taylor 314ce, I've seen them second hand for about £800. Bright Taylor tone, good with the PA (use a balanced TRS to XLR rather than a standard jack), and great to play, and more "proper acoustic" sounding than the Ovation
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    What's your budget for an acoustic?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Variax?  Depends on how close to an electric you want to get.  The plain G doesn't sound quite right for acoustic sounds though.
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    I'd like to keep my budget under £300 if possible.

What about a Fender Malibu? It's got a cut away so easy for the stuff past the 12th fret, Fishman pickup, Stratocaster neck... Should be a pretty comfortable transition from an electric.

I'm curious to know how that small body makes it sound though.

Great suggestions so far. I've got a mate with an Ovation (I think), will give it a look.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    A 2nd hand faith or recording king would give you biggest bang for buck i reckon, however necks may be not electric feeling enough for you..
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    +1 for a second hand Faith but also consider the Yamaha APX range which have necks very close to electric guitars.
    Godin do some interesting stuff, i'm pretty intrigued by the A6.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    Check out the lovely faith venus just up on guitarmart.co.uk for 250..
  • vizviz Frets: 10689
    I'm desperate for a nylon strung electro-acoustic - I think they make for a beautiful sound, much warmer than the flat, harsh sound you can get from a steel strung. Especially with an analogue delay in the line, set quiet, 2 repeats.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What about one of these:

Or one of these

I'm guessing the smaller body of the two guitars above means less volume and less bass definition. I will be playing alongside another guitarist with a dreadnaught, so volume could be an issue.

@woody that Faith is really tempting.
    So I just paid a visit to the closest guitar store (PMT Birmingham) and the very friendly and helpful chap in there pointed me towards Yamaha APX500 MKIII and the Faith Venus Naked, if I was prepared to stretch my budget). 

I thought both were great but the Faith was certainly a cut above, both tonally and playability. Whilst there I checked out the Faith Mercury Model and bloody loved it. If only they made that with a cut away which brings me onto my next topic....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    There are a few Ovations on ebay at the moment that are worth a look.
  • I've got an Ibanez AEL40SE-LRV which is dead easy to play and sounds great plugged or unplugged..
    Can be a bargain second hand.