Dave Murray Strat build.

breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
edited February 2015 in Making & Modding
This is my recently completed Strat build based on Dave Murray's,of Iron Maiden fame,ex Paul Kossoff Stratocaster which he used on most of Maidens early output.Here it is in action.

It basically came about because I wanted to do something with an old Squier body I had laying around and being a big Murray fan seemed a cool way to go.

As mentioned,the body is a Squier and is pretty beaten up,but considering the the build is based on a fifty year old guitar I thought I'd leave it as it is for now.I may replace or refinish it in the future if funds allow.The bridge,middle pickup,jack plate and knobs are also from the original body.I purchased a scratch plate and a pre soldered wiring loom from Axesrus along with a set of their vintage tuners.The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion like the original and the neck is an Iron Gear Steam Hammer though this will get replaced again when funds allow.(I'm undecided over which pickup to use though as the official sig model uses a Dimarzio PAF,I think,whereas I'm sure I've read somewhere the original had another SD in the neck,which I think would be quite likely bearing in mind this mod would have been carried out around the mid seventies.Calling @mike_l for any possible info).

The neck is a from a Fender Classic Player 50's and has the relevant 9.5 radius and soft V profile which incidentally I love and have the same profile on one of my other Strats.They're just so comfortable.Anyway after chucking on a set of tens and a quick set up it sounds pretty damn good.The SD nails the Maiden sound,the Steam Hammer less so.

Anyway I think that's everything.I'll stop my waffling and post the pics.(Taken on my phone so probably not great)

Thanks for looking.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    That looks bang on the money - nice job :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Cool as fook nice work
  • Nice one, looks great.
  • Nice job. I like that a lot
  • Great job sir.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Excellent stuff.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Very much like the look of that! lovely job!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@breakstuff

You are correct, the neck is a PAF, I think it's a Gibson, but I'm not 100%. It would make sense as the pickups were originally changed in the mid 70's.

Middle, standard Strat.

Bridge, Super Distortion, but original spec, I think the current model is hotter than the original version.

All from memory, as I can't be arsed to go check. It's not far off if it is wrong.

Nice work too Sir.

The original was retired from use to Dave's home in Maui, where it lives (I understand, never been there obviously) in a glass case in 1990.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    Thanks guy's for your comments.

@mike_l I think I'll definitely change the neck pickup at some point.It's way too hot.I'll probably stick it in the bridge of my next project (Jackson style superstrat).

Not too many options in double cream though.
    I do remember a quote from Dave M about liking the neck PAF as it was "creamy", which would make sense for a lower output model. Something like a Pearly Gates in the neck would be spot on. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Unfortunately Seymour Duncan don't do double cream so I'll probably go for the Dimarzio PAF,or failing that see if Ash at Oil City can custom wind me one.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Great work. I desperately wanted that guitar when I was 19 (the original). To me that guitar is more interesting than Kossoff's Les Paul.

Good work on building a replica - I started building one about five years ago but ran out of time/money etc.

You've given me GAS...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• This looks great. Spot on build!
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Looks great! Mr Murray is the reason I started playing the guitar. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

MattFGBI said:
    Looks great! Mr Murray is the reason I started playing the guitar. 

Me too.

Namely Hallowed be thy name.

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Brilliant job!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yes. That is all.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    Thanks guys.Much appreciated.