Jazzmaster tone

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
Im gassing a Jazzmaster for no good reason. I love the look of them but Im not sure what tonal bases it covers.  Id like something to do clean tones and non rock stuff. Also, do they only come with vintage frets and short scale?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7777
    it's the Jaguar that's short scale, the JM is std. Fender

frets depend on the model, as does the radius - IIRC my J Mascis sig had fattish frets and 9.5" radius
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Jazzmaster is standard Fender scale length. As mentioned above there are different flavours out there that have different fret radius.

Tone... well, it covers a massive range of sounds... and I mean massive...

A good example of the overdriven tone (through a Crowther Hotcake) - solo starts at 2.45:

Andy at PGS makes most guitars sound ace, but...

I'll let you google Mascis etc for the stoner rock thing and then just check out Sonic Youth for the extreme stuff...

Just go and play one - that may be simpler than trying to explain.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fook, I'd forgotten how good Nels is... that's gleaming.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    [Watches PGS video]

AARRRRGHH I NEED A JAZZMASTER NOW!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    Some good JM tones here. Simple explanation of the controls too. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Jazzmaster Tone" sounds like a mash-up of Fast Show characters :)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Tonally the JM does it all for me. 
    It does the biggest, fattest, chimiest, beautiful cleans in the single coil world and then if you wanna get dirty it can handle gain by the bucket load. 

Unfortunately these lovely pickup sounds cant be found on the classic players or the mascis variants (unless modded) but if you go for the new MIM classic series and the AVRI stuff you will hear traditional pups. 

They are well worth checking out

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    Phil X. Flippin' heck. And they give Chappers shit for his online persona...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    An album full of Jazzmaster

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    My Jazzmaster tone reference points along with the likes of Sonic Youth, J Mascis and the like, include the wonderful Swervedriver, The Raveonettes, and slightly less obviously Sharon Van Etten or more specifically her guitarist Doug Keith. There's also Kevin Shields of course, but his tone is drenched in so many effects that it is difficult to discern what's Jazzmaster and what's not.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If Andy at PGS demo'd Ebola I'd buy it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • People don't like Jazzmasters because the shaky/inefficient bridge design is bad for sustain and makes them sound 'plinky' . 

But they are the most gorgeous guitars on earth if you know what to do with them.

Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
    People don't like Jazzmasters because the shaky/inefficient bridge design is bad for sustain and makes them sound 'plinky' . 

But they are the most gorgeous guitars on earth if you know what to do with them.

that hasn't been an issue for a while since staytrem and Mastery addressed it
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I wouldn't mind an Anderson Raven

Lew said:
    I wouldn't mind an Anderson Raven

reported!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For having amazing taste?
    Lew said:
    For having amazing taste?
    maybe if we were in Germany?
    You always manage to bring the conversation round to your love of the sausage somehow. Amazing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Oi, keep this on track :P