educate me on buying a new guitar from Europe

What's Hot

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    AND WE STILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS!!   Sorry, forgot myself for a moment. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    siraxeman said:
    Why risky?
    Because you are buying an unknown quantity at a distance. 

DSR doesn't apply to custom ordered items.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    RaymondLin;544759" said:
    One reason not to vote UKIP :p otherwise Thomann will be a massive NO NO if you have to add another 25% on top.
    Not true as German tax is also around 25%. They take off German sales tax when shipping out of eu. Great for me as Swiss tax is only 8%

You shouldn't vote ukip for a whole bunch of other reasons though.

Also don't buy from musicstore.de they are extremely unresponsive after sale.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Sassafras said:
    Don't you have to pay import from Ishibashi?
    Yes, but of course it is in Japan.

Anything other than very small value items purchased  outside the EU is liable for VAT and duty.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited March 2015
    Richardj said:

Its a replica of the Brian May guitar...an as close as it gets replica. Costing me over £3k. I'm gonna gig the tits out of it to when I get it...and get used to that HUGE MAHOOSIVE neck.

So no VAT then ? What about import duty..or is that just another word for the same thing ??

siraxeman said:
    Why risky?
    Because you are buying an unknown quantity at a distance. 

DSR doesn't apply to custom ordered items.
    I have had constant updates inc pics and vids of the build along the way and I know others who have bought from him and seen their guitars demo'd to!
    edited March 2015

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    siraxeman said:

So no VAT then ? What about import duty..or is that just another word for the same thing ??

No VAT no import duty....nothing. It's one big free market of trade with our European cousins.

Now that sounds AWESOME.

for the sake of understanding then...how does this work with cigs n alcohol etc ? Aren't there limits n stuff for taxation reasons ?

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    RaymondLin;544759" said:
    One reason not to vote UKIP :p otherwise Thomann will be a massive NO NO if you have to add another 25% on top.
    Not true as German tax is also around 25%. They take off German sales tax when shipping out of eu. Great for me as Swiss tax is only 8%

You shouldn't vote ukip for a whole bunch of other reasons though.

Also don't buy from musicstore.de they are extremely unresponsive after sale.
    German sales tax is 19%. 1 whole% less than us in the UK
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited March 2015
    Don't forget the 'Non-Sterling Transaction Fee' which can be around 2.5%.

Don't forget the 'Non-Sterling Transaction Fee' which can be around 2.4%
    That'll depend on your own credit card, not all have that (get a Halifax Clarity Card if you shop at Thomann a lot, no fee with that one).
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    siraxeman said:
    Richardj said:

Its a replica of the Brian May guitar...an as close as it gets replica. Costing me over £3k. I'm gonna gig the tits out of it to when I get it...and get used to that HUGE MAHOOSIVE neck.

cant you buy the red special for quite a lot less than that?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited March 2015
    Yes you are paying VAT in the country of the source transaction within Europe, at that countries rate, but no further VAT if buying within the EU.  That is part of the European tax harmonisation.  There is no import duty to pay within the EU either, that's kind of what the EU is for, although you may be forgiven for wondering.

If buying outside the EU, then local taxes get dropped, but you pay import duty and VAT (or equivalent) in your own country, plus any processing / clearance charges.  The same with buying in (importing) to the UK from Japan (etc).

One reason why US prices seem so cheap is that they add local and federal taxes on afterwards, unlike EU tax inclusive prices.  I think a lot of folks on here forget that the US price is not the final price you pay in the US.  That really should be taken into account when comparing prices here in the UK and across the pond.

siraxeman said:
    Richardj said:

cant you buy the red special for quite a lot less than that?
    No! That's if you want a proper authentic one. Even ones that look right enough ie correct trem etc often are made from all mahogany and are wrong in many details. The Brian May Guitars official red special is less than £600 I forget the price now and cant be bothered looking it up as I'm not interested as its far far from anything like BMs guitar. then there is the Brian May Super that's around £3k and is also all mahogany and has the wrong bridge and other details incorrect...There is a guy that makes the top of the tree Red Special with licence from Brian May himself - he's called Andrew Guyton and has permission to make 50 guitars which all are ordered and most already completed. These cost around £8k !! ie a rich mans guitar!
    Well at least its good news on the original Qs I had !! :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    isnt the original red special made from Oak from an old fireplace or lintel or something and some other unknown wood?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.

the reason for this thread...my guitars almost complete I've just paid the balance off online so starting to get all excited now.

http://www.dansanguitars.com/

edited March 2015

The reason for this thread ie OP question is this guitar....now on its way from france to moi!! :)

edit - void linky removed innit.

It seems I am not authorised to download that attachment :(