Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Amp Head for pedals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Any clones of the JTM45 worth considering?
    Not unless you want to pay more or build it yourself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 on the jtm45.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but this talk of solid state rectifiers has piqued my interest... Would that be something you'd consider to tighten up the amp if you were running it at or close to full chat?  

I believe the jcm800 is solid state rectifier and have it in my mind that that is one of the reasons it sounds tighter (as well as having more gain etc), however I really don't know much about these things so please educate me!
    edited October 2013

Not wanting to hijack the thread but this talk of solid state rectifiers has piqued my interest... Would that be something you'd consider to tighten up the amp if you were running it at or close to full chat?  
    Yes.
    I believe the jcm800 is solid state rectifier and have it in my mind that that is one of the reasons it sounds tighter (as well as having more gain etc), however I really don't know much about these things so please educate me!
    Not really, there are a lot more differences than that even though one is an evolution of the other, via the JMP period. The rectifier is only a minor one.

A JMP50 (non-MV) is close to being a JTM45 with a solid-state rectifier and EL34s, but even then there are a few more important differences... OT ratio, negative feedback, input valve cathode network - you don't need to know what all these mean :) .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• JTM45's. Do they sound ok at home practice volumes as well as gig volumes (bear in mind that dirt will come from pedals in both cases)?
    JTM45's. Do they sound ok at home practice volumes as well as gig volumes (bear in mind that dirt will come from pedals in both cases)?
    Yes, absolutely. They sound great down to the lowest volume you can set above just on.

• ICBM said:
    JTM45's. Do they sound ok at home practice volumes as well as gig volumes (bear in mind that dirt will come from pedals in both cases)?
    Yes, absolutely. They sound great down to the lowest volume you can set above just on.

Ok cool, best start finding some gas funds...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'd buy an amp you like the sound of and buy pedals that suit it.
    Doing it the other way is the path to madness, in most cases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791

whose home? my home practice volume  certainly, how loud do you play at home? if not loud, we need someone who plays quieter to advise

I think the trick is - buy an amp that's amongst the top 20 designs ever built, out of those you can pick up JTM45 and bassman clones cheap. Dumble clones are a great versatile amp too, but never go that cheap

my Ceriatone JTM45 clone is very nice, and I agree with the recommendation.

There was a bassman clone  on musicradar for a long time I think. Was it an MJW?

The amp is the core, as JR says. I tried some pedals that a favourite player uses, but I play with a cleaner amp, so they didn't work for me - they crisped up his more smeared overdriven sound, whereas I need pedals to add grit or smear my cleaner SRV/JM type tone. I use pedals to vary the sound of the amp - for me the pedal is not the starting point, but the tweak I add. Having said that, most of my pedals work with most of my amps - but I picked them all 

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Out of interest, how loud is the jtm45 compared to an ac30? Assuming going through the same speakers of course...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370

whose home? my home practice volume  certainly, how loud do you play at home? if not loud, we need someone who plays quieter to advise

It doesn't really matter who's home, they sound really good all the way down to "just louder than the guitar itself" volume.
    p90fool said:

It doesn't really matter who's home, they sound really good all the way down to "just louder than the guitar itself" volume.
    I never tried them that quiet ;-) Sounds good quieter than most of my other amps though, but still loud enough to get an ASBO probably
    edited October 2013

double clicked ........... duplicate post

• Another vote for the JTM 45.  Actually I have the MJW Orion 1 (4xKT66). Ch 1 is JTM 45 and it is my go to amp, but a tad more than £400 :)
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    If you want a pedal platform to gig with, in addition to playing at home, you probably need something that will stay clean at serious volume. A JTM45/Bassman/Plexi etc will respond very differently to pedals when cranked than at house levels. As long as you take this into account it'll be fine but pushing the front end with a boost at home will be very different from pushing that front end with the volume up around 5. 

This is one of the reasons I like to rehearse with an attenuator (Hotplate, but thats only good into Fender style amps) because at a gig I can just go up a notch and I'll have more volume but the repsonse will be almost identical, almost because pushing a speaker hard gives a bit of compression in addition to the trouser flapping loveliness.......
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    edited November 2013
    The Cornford roadhouse takes pedals really well. Top amp too. Versatile and good at low volumes.